Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Prius does more environmental damage than a Hummer

Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
Actually, the Prius battery is recycled.

And there's lots of mis-conceptions still remaining in this thread about the Prius and hybrids in general, including the whole "carbon footprint" idea.
Elaborate please, last time I looked into it they were relying on the fact that there should be technology down the road that can recycle the batts.

I get into this discussion all the time (notice where I live) and would love to be corrected if I am wrong.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
Actually, the Prius battery is recycled.

And there's lots of mis-conceptions still remaining in this thread about the Prius and hybrids in general, including the whole "carbon footprint" idea.
Am I going to have to get your buddy from PSA to come over here and set you straight?
Share some of the information you have Curtis, it will make for a good discussion.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
75% of the time, my 7.3 is running on waste vegetable oil, which has 45-75% less pollutants than diesel (depending on which pollutant we are talking about.)

I just don't understand the disdain for people who want to create less pollution. Even if global warming theorists are wrong, what is wrong with polluting less?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:44 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by kirkharrod
Even if global warming theorists are wrong, what is wrong with polluting less?
All that is fine until it becomes a religion, and one has to then begin "preaching the gospel".

That gets annoying real fast, evidenced by the South Park episode on the subject, or the YouTube clip at the beginning of this thread.

Equally annoying to me, however, are those that intentionally "roll coal", just to be doing it.

Pop

Old 12-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
All that is fine until it becomes a religion, and one has to then begin "preaching the gospel".

That gets annoying real fast, evidenced by the South Park episode on the subject.

Equally annoying to me are those that intentionally "roll coal", just to be doing it.

Pop
I never would have guessed

Old 12-01-2011, 09:48 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop

That gets annoying real fast, evidenced by the South Park episode on the subject.

Equally annoying to me, however, are those that intentionally "roll coal", just to be doing it.

Pop
Totally agree. All religion is annoying to me

Old 12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
They did a whole thing on the "smug factor" of Prius owners.

Pop

Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 AM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by kirkharrod
I just don't understand the disdain for people who want to create less pollution. Even if global warming theorists are wrong, what is wrong with polluting less?
I think in many cases the disdain is a result of the way these people perceive and interact with others. Sure there is plenty of sympathy but often there is also a lack of empathy.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Seems like FTE ran out of internet yesterday now that I think about it...maybe they should relocate their servers out' Californiway

Old 12-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
I'm so glad all those earth loving, herd following douche canoe hippies ran out and bought there fancy little POS hybrids and started preaching to the world about how environmentally conscious they are. LMFAO.
PS... I stole the link from a fellow members Facebook page

Prius outdoes Hummer in Hummer damage
The article raises some interesting points. Total lifecycle costs and impacts (which are harder to quantify) need to be considered. That being said I LOVE the Prius. Watching that machine switch between battery and gas and get 50-60 MPG is amazing. My parents love their Prius.

However, the last time I checked, neither I nor my parents were "douche canoe hippies".

And yes "Earth loving" is defintely something to be proud of. If you dont love the ecosystems that provide your food and water, youre missing some basic self preservation instincts.

That being said, I cannot believe the forum moderators allowed such a juvenile and ignorant post on this forum. This is an embarassment to all of us.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Lex2002
The article raises some interesting points. Total lifecycle costs and impacts (which are harder to quantify) need to be considered. That being said I LOVE the Prius. Watching that machine switch between battery and gas and get 50-60 MPG is amazing. My parents love their Prius.

However, the last time I checked, neither I nor my parents were "douche canoe hippies".

And yes "Earth loving" is defintely something to be proud of. If you dont love the ecosystems that provide your food and water, youre missing some basic self preservation instincts.

That being said, I cannot believe the forum moderators allowed such a juvenile and ignorant post on this forum. This is an embarassment to all of us.
It's sad but true that a lot of Prius drivers think that they are entitled to give other people attitude for driving larger vehicles just because they think they are smarter than everybody else because they drive the most environmentally friendly car on the road...which is not true. The post might have been harsh, and generalized Prius owners as a whole, but as I like to say, "stereotypes may not be politically correct and may be insulting, but they are typically not 'made up.' They're unfortunately usually earned by the majority."

That video clip of the woman getting upset is apparently a pretty accurate reflection of how most but not all Prius owners view other drivers on the road, especially everybody who is reading this forum. This view comes from misleading information which was probably poured on them at the dealership, and we are here mocking that misleading information knowing that our trucks are some of the cleanest burning and 'sustainable' vehicles on the road.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:04 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot

There are exceptions to every stereotype, perhaps you and your parents fit that. The people that ran out and blindly bought a hybrid thinking they would save the world, then try to cram their opinion down everyone else's throats or think that anyone who doesn't drive a stupid little hybrid car is an evildoing, earth destroying buffoon like the fat cow in that video are the people I'm talking about.
And for the record, I make my living working for a land management agency and have spent much of my life recreating outdoors, so I have a pretty good appreciation for nature.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Lex2002
Fleet Mechanic
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
There are exceptions to every stereotype, perhaps you and your parents fit that. The people that ran out and blindly bought a hybrid thinking they would save the world, then try to cram their opinion down everyone else's throats or think that anyone who doesn't drive a stupid little hybrid car is an evildoing, earth destroying buffoon like the fat cow in that video are the people I'm talking about.
And for the record, I make my living working for a land management agency and have spent much of my life recreating outdoors, so I have a pretty good appreciation for nature.
Nothing stupid about it Sir. Its an incredible peice of machinery.

Prius's are cool. So is my truck.

50mpg is a good feeling. Wish it could tow a trailer....

Old 12-01-2011, 01:10 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Nothing stupid about it Sir. Its an incredible peice of machinery.

Prius's are cool. So is my truck.

50mpg is a good feeling. Wish it could tow a trailer....
I saw one at the boat ramp towing a jet-ski. I asked the guy why the engine was running while they were pushing the jet-ski off the trailer into the water and he replied "are you making fun of my Prius?" I said no, I thought the gas engine turns off when the car is stationary and he said "oh... the A/C is on".

Old 12-01-2011, 01:58 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by honeydew
I saw one at the boat ramp towing a jet-ski. I asked the guy why the engine was running while they were pushing the jet-ski off the trailer into the water and he replied "are you making fun of my Prius?" I said no, I thought the gas engine turns off when the car is stationary and he said "oh... the A/C is on".
ROFL......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prius does more environmental damage than a Hummer