Complete fuel system revamp

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Airjammer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complete fuel system revamp

Howdy all,

I have been lookin at Strictly Diesel's Driven Diesel fuel system kit.
I am considering replacing my entire fuel system, from the tank to the injectors and back to the tank, As well as the Banjo bolt kit.

So here it is, What are your thoughts???

Old 11-29-2011, 08:05 AM
izzybird
Elder User

Well, my experience with Strictly has been quality products, reasonable pricing, and excellent customer service. That being said I think you will be quite pleased with your purchase. On the other side of the fence, I would say you can build a full regulated return system for a heck of a lot cheaper.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 AM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like izzy said you can build it cheaper. i did one for a lot less. this is just one way i made one.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...hose-pics.html

Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The banjo bolts might be overkill unless you've got really big plans. If you don't want to build it yourself, you'll be happy with the kit from Dennis. He's got a long history and reputation for selling quality products.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Airjammer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by F350-6
The banjo bolts might be overkill unless you've got really big plans. If you don't want to build it yourself, you'll be happy with the kit from Dennis. He's got a long history and reputation for selling quality products.
Yes I am plannin on gettin a bit of a build goin on under the hood, over time that is, Stecher HPOP, 38r turbo (40?), injectors, and the cfm intake.
Thomas

Old 11-29-2011, 07:59 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Airjammer
Yes I am plannin on gettin a bit of a build goin on under the hood, over time that is, Stecher HPOP, 38r turbo (40?), injectors, and the cfm intake.
Thomas
Where did you hear about that HPOP if you don't mind me asking?

Most people quit calling it that years ago, yet you don't seem to be familiar with Dennis from ITP, who was also very popular years ago. Do you live near Gary by chance?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Airjammer
Freshman User
Hey Chris,

In the Nov 2011 issue of Diesel Power magazine, There is an article about Dyno proven power combinations for the 7.3's. So I was lookin at all the different power levels and the different parts that were recomended, in the 525-575 HP range the Stealth SRP1 from Stecher Performance Diesel was recomended for the HPOP. gettin to the Strictly Diesel site a regulated fuel return sys was recomended for a 450-525 HP gain.

I work in the Oilfield in the western slope of CO and have been around cat and detroit diesel engines many many years, however buying the truck I have now is the first Diesel truck I have ever owned. Therefore most of my info for the diesel trucks comes from sites like this, Diesel magazines, and talkin to people.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thomas

Old 11-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mueckster has a full regulated return, with fuel bowl delete. Pretty sure he did it all himself. Hopefully he will chime in...

Old 11-29-2011, 10:41 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tailgate77478
Mueckster has a full regulated return, with fuel bowl delete. Pretty sure he did it all himself. Hopefully he will chime in...
Mark's right. I did fab my own regulated return system. I bought a early version ITP delete block w/ SS lines and an Aeromotive FPR from another member who had sold his truck. I fabbed all the lines fom the tank forward using nylon braided synthetic fuel hose and AN fittings. I built a mount for, and added, a post pump fuel filter to the trans bellhousing. All the supply hoses are 3/8" ID and I retained the stock return line to the tank. I have a prepump filter mounted in the frame between the tank and transfer case. My stock fuel pump has been replaced with a Walbro GSL392. This fuel supply system really woke up my truck and netted me an additional 37 rwhp and 115 tq, with some slight tuning changes during live tuning, over the previous year. I was already running the Walbro with my stock fuel bowl, so I can safely say that the increase in the supply line and fitting size has made a very significant difference in performance.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:36 AM
izzybird
Elder User

So what kind of power are you looking for? You can take the stock fuel system in your truck pretty far and put that money elsewhere. As for the HPOP, if your stocker is still healthy and you go with less oil hungry injectors, you may be able to get away with the stocker. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of big oil. Or even medium oil for that matter. Depending on what you want your end result to be would make a big difference in modifications. Good tuning (very important), the right injectors, that little ol' 38r, minor fuel modifications, and a healthy HPOP will burn the tires right off that truck and you wouldn't be too far into it $$ wise. Once again, it really depends on where you want to go with this truck.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:50 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Airjammer
Hope that answers your questions.

Thomas
That makes sense. I didn't think about reading this stuff in a magazine.

I think you're on the right track. Ask plenty of questions here and you'll be in good shape. There is more than one way to reach whatever HP goals you come up with, and getting feedback from other members who have tried certain parts priceless.

Also keep an eye out for local events. There's a Colorado diesel club that has get togethers and run a dyno at least once a year. One of those guys up there recently broke 1000 hp, so if you're close enough, it might be fun to watch or at least be there to see what he does next.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Here's some more ideas for you.I have had good luck with both set ups.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-part-ii.html

Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Airjammer
Freshman User
Howdy All,

My apologizies for not replyin sooner.

Mueckster, I would fab my own System but dont have the time to spend on runnin the parts down, then get up on the mtn and forgot 1 part or cut 1 hose too short and I'm out of luck.

Izzybird, Thanks, I am not sure what shape my HPOP is in, it seems strong though. Can I put a Tee in the discharge line and a 5k gauge to check pressure?
I bought the truck used this spring w/ 214k miles on it.
I am thinkin I'm gonna get to about the 450 hp mark w/ this build, for now, then go from there w a bare block buildup into the 750+ HP ranges.
You say "that little ol' 38r" would a 40 be too much for the 450 hp range?

F350-6,
I joined the club you mention a week or so ago and they have been as helpful and informative as you guys have, one of them suggested goin w/ a Tymar air intake rather than the S&B? Any comments?

Beanhead, Thanks I will take a look at the link you attached and get back to you, w/ questions I'm sure.

What do you guys think of the CFM brand intake manifold? Just pretty expensive plastic or somthin that has yet to be proven?

Thanks again
Thomas

Old 12-02-2011, 08:44 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
You could theoretically put a threaded T into the HPOP hose, but it would be much easier to just plumb a gauge into the extra fitting in the HP oil rail near the center of the head. If you don't want to build a guage set up yourself, Paul at CPtrucks.com will sell you one.

The tymar is a popular intake for many around here. It's also known as the 6637 filter because it is a WIX #546637 filter. All you need to do is remove the stock airbox, install a 4" piece of tubing with a hose clamp in the air intake tube, and clamp the 6637 or tymar filter to the to the other end and you're done. Less money up front and it works well. If you plan on going above 450 hp, you might have to think about other options, but for basic mods, it's a great set up.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Airjammer
Freshman User
Thanks F350-6, looks like I can do the psi gauge pretty easy myself. Just have to get a cpl 5k gauges off the rig and some bushings, should be done easy enough.

Quick Reply: Complete fuel system revamp