Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad belt, and chirp noise

Old 11-28-2011, 06:47 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
bad belt, and chirp noise

i developed a chirp in my 02. the belt is getting replaced because it is starting to show wear and has been on the engine for close to 40,000 miles.

the engine itself has 180k on it. ithe top idler has belt rubber stuck to it. does this sound like it is the top idler that is making the noise?

Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Brother Les
Posting Guru
Brother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
i developed a chirp in my 02. the belt is getting replaced because it is starting to show wear and has been on the engine for close to 40,000 miles.

the engine itself has 180k on it. ithe top idler has belt rubber stuck to it. does this sound like it is the top idler that is making the noise?

120,000 on same belt... no wear and no noise......
something is out of alignment or bearings wearing on yours.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:37 AM
snakedoc
Postmaster
snakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to behold
i would check the idler pulley barrings.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:15 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
well, i just got done. belt was wasted. the top idler bearing was in iffy condition, so that got changed. the tensioner pulleys don't look that hot, so i will have to keep an eye on them. i would have changed them too, but they are on back order.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:44 PM
CAPTAIN DIESEL
Senior User
CAPTAIN DIESEL is starting off with a positive reputation.
check pully bearings

Old 11-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend
Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
well, i just got done. belt was wasted. the top idler bearing was in iffy condition, so that got changed. the tensioner pulleys don't look that hot, so i will have to keep an eye on them. i would have changed them too, but they are on back order.
Usually when the belt is trashed it ends up being the tensioner assembly (at least that's how it's worked out for me so far...)

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN DIESEL View Post
check pully bearings
Ok...I have to ask.....so how did you end up with a $0.47 cent mod? Did you find 3 pennies under the valve covers?

Old 11-28-2011, 05:15 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
I recently replaced my belt (200K on the engine and at least 60K on the belt). I replaced the upper and lower idlers (I have dual alternators) as well as the tensioner. I had a small noise before I replaced the belt and it went away when I did the changeout so I don't know which was the culprit.

Also, I switched to a Goodyear Gatorback belt and love it!

Old 11-28-2011, 05:16 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
snakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to behold
it could be like mine i used a 0.03 washer on it.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:18 PM
lhud
Elder User
lhud has a good reputation on FTE.lhud has a good reputation on FTE.
Hey, just another suggestion: with the belt off don't overlook checking all the pulleys including the power steering. The bearings in the idler pulleys can easily be punched out and new bearings installed. I simply purchased a set of new pulleys, installed them and then on rainy days replaced the bearings in the used pulleys - each cost approx. $7 bucks +/-.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:04 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
well, i know it is not the alternator, water pump, or ac compressor, since they are all less than 5 months old.

and i doubt it is the power steering, because the sound does not change when i turn the wheel loading the pump.

the tensioner pulleys are tight, just need a good cleaning of belt rubber on the roller surfaces.
the idler pulley bearing was sloppy, that is why i think it was the culprit.