6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Crew Cab Long Bed bouncing on concrete highways

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mile after mile of the stuff, the bouncing can get so bad that if I weren't wearing my seatbelt I would be whacking my head on the roof.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Powerdude
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change lanes and find one with a different harmonic.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:36 AM
spinella
Postmaster
it happens to me when i go to our house upstate. exit 21 on the new york thruway...route 23 near the armory and state trooper building. its the length of the concrete slabs versus the wheelbase of my truck. i figure the slabs are probably about 15' sections. both axles are hitting a expansion joint at the same time. thank god its only about 1/2 mile. if it was a road i traveled everyday for a good distance i think i would sell my truck....its that bad. i've messed with my air bags to see if i can make it better. less air in the bags and it feels better. i always have my tires at 80 psi so i dont know if lowering the tire pressure a little would help.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 PM
GoCamping
Elder User
Originally Posted by Glockin' Bob
I can put the 3500 lb camper on the truck and the bounce is non-existant but the camper gets in the way of putting other stuff in the bed.
Adding mass is like adding damping to the system ... so in my feeble mind if adding the camper helps then different shock valving could help too. I have no idea what the stock Ford shocks are like for damping quality, but I would guess that they are a compromise with the bean counters.

FWIW going to Rancho 9000XLs on my 7.3 did quite a bit to settle down the concrete bounce on the highway - loaded and unloaded. Max with the 5er and 4 or 5 without. Now, these replaced OE shocks with 140k so YMMV.

Bounce is a front / rear effect too so I'd do all four corners...

Old 11-30-2011, 04:08 AM
PITS
Elder User
I have a stretch of road near here where I first learned this thing's harmonic. I-70 toll road between Topeka and KC. I have made the trip with a 6x12 covered trailer and solo and it just hits at diferent times and for different durations. But as some of the others have said, it can get VIOLENT at ~75MPH. I have a bit of a gut and gravity has a way of reminding me of that on that interstate when it gets a floppin'. You could not read the NAV at times. Tried different lanes with marginal differences. Goes on for 0-10 miles and then seems to "calm down". I take the exit onto the beltway and smooth as glass all the rest of the way home.

I mentioned it to the dealer and they test drove it but "didn't feel it" on the section of freeway they drove on but not the same one where it happend before.

Doubt there is any way to bend the frame doing it and got to admit for a short ways it is as fun as an E-Ticket ride but then it does get annoying. Takes slowing down to 45ish to make it go completely away. Just happened a few times in 12K mi and hope it changes somewhat when I shed the factory shocks and upgrade there.

I do have the camper package which includes a rear sway bar but it is so skinny I doubt it is much help even on the side to side but this front to back thing is probably not affected by it. I often wonder what it looks like to the cars around me when it is having it's "siezure". Rodeo time!

Yeehah!

Old 09-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Bodub
New User
OMGSH!!

This is the worst road trip ever! Omgsh, my belly was bouncing, my eyeballs bouncing too, need to go on diet AFTER I see a chiropractor. I sure hope new shocks fix me up! It'd be a cool ride at Disneyland once a year or even a decade. I'm getting too old for this crap.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:13 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
First, welcome to FTE

Second: Holy old thread revival batman! Shocks probably won't help. I installed Skyjacker M95 and later upgraded to Fox 2.0s. At first I thought they made a world of difference, but then realized it was my brain trying to rationalize my purchases...... Sure they might help a little, but not really noticeably. Primarily because unweighted springs are stiff. Load 2000lbs of pavers in the bed will make your truck ride like a caddy....seriously.

That being said, my new truck drives much much smoother than my 2011 did. However, the empty bed still bounces over bumps, just not as bad as my 2011 did.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,621 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Yup, just the nature of concrete highways and trucks! One time I was motoring along one of these roads when a long nosed Peterbilt passed me. When I looked over at him, the front of his hood was bouncing up and down at least 6 inches!
And I am of the opinion that my '15 dually long box is better than my '11 CCSB F250 was! 😀

Old 09-23-2015, 10:25 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
New shocks help

I put Bilsteins 5100 on. It helped the with the bonce but it still there. I replaced them at 35000 miles, and the ford shocks where SHOT. I just tell my wife it a REAL truck and it going to do that.

Thinking about the 250 rides better then the 350.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:34 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,988 Likes on 1,595 Posts
My experience with a 2011 F-350 SRW CC LB.........Lower the pressure (when not towing) in the rear tires to 50 psi........My tire guy recommended it......Worked great. Had to get the local dealer to reprogram the tire pressure monitor.

Now.........my 2015 F-350 DRW CC LB........Same story.........rides much nicer.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:44 AM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I drive my truck on I10 west bound in Phoenix, AZ..mine bounces bad at about 72 MPH..and we have that rubberized asphalt here..so it's not just the concrete roads... it also has the 45mph bounce-that kicks in at exactly 45MPH-whats the deal with this, Ford?..i've tried different tires, and shocks.. still does it, but not as bad, but if i have 2,000 lbs of mix hay in the back, it rides nice..I guess Ford wanted these trucks to be like the big rigs/semi's..they also ride bad when empty.

sometimes it's funny when someone else on the road gives you dirty looks because you, and the rear end of your truck are bobbing up and down on smooth road...

I just went with Monroe shocks on my truck.. way better than those wannabe-Ranchos...I loved the sound those Rancho's made when I threw them out of the back of my truck into the scrap pile at the recycler.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:28 AM
Lawrencew
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bouncing

I have a '14 F350 CCLB went almost a yr of having it bounce around more then my 550 . Wife even hated driving it on gravel roads. Finally put fox shocks on it as I did my 04. End of problem was kinda miffed it took me so long to clue in, but as this was my first new truck I just assumed shocks were something I didn't need to worry about. As for weight ya it helps but carrying 1500 lbs of tractor weights takes up some bed space 😁

Old 09-29-2015, 09:48 AM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Crew Cab Long Bed bouncing on concrete highways

I dropped off my trailer the other day and forgot to let the air out of the air bags. Normally, the same trip , about twenty miles down I-76, I would have only driven it at 55 mph because of the chucking. With the air bags inflated to 25 PSI I didn't have the chucking issues that normally would have had.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:20 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Lawrencew
I have a '14 F350 CCLB went almost a yr of having it bounce around more then my 550 . Wife even hated driving it on gravel roads. Finally put fox shocks on it as I did my 04. End of problem was kinda miffed it took me so long to clue in, but as this was my first new truck I just assumed shocks were something I didn't need to worry about. As for weight ya it helps but carrying 1500 lbs of tractor weights takes up some bed space ��
I can honestly say that the addition of Fox 2.0 shocks on my 2011 truck gave me the illusion that they had improved the ride. Going to my new truck, I realized that the Fox 2.0s were actually responsible for increased stiffness and harshness going over bumps. Anyone wana buy 2 Fox Shocks for a 2-4" Rear lift? I already sold my front ones.

I have the feeling that if (and when) i decided to replace the OEM Rancho (FoMoCo) shocks on my new truck, I'm probably going to go with a Rancho 5000, Pro Runner, or perhaps give the 9000s a run.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:49 PM
nic48
New User
I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!

I have dug and dug on this issue for a better part of a year now........ Here in Utah we have some pretty nasty concrete highways and the bouncing was driving me crazy. I was to the point were i was looking to trade it in. But upon buying a duel front stabilizing kit for it my local suspension shop recommended some sulastic leaf spring shackles. He swore by these. The were kinda expensive at $400 a pair but well worth it. No more bouncing and now my 1 ton drives like a f150! I did try installing these my self and unless you have a hoist i recommend having some one do them for you. But for anyone interested the f350 is SD-06 HD i think..... and the 250 is SD-06. look em up! (no i dont sell these buy them were ever you feel)