Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Strange washer problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:07 PM
YellerMax
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange washer problem

My windshield washer system has not worked since I've owned my truck (purchased in 2004, it's a 2002). 8 years on I've decided to tackle it and here's where I sit.

Problem: When you push the washer button, the wipers go but the sprayers do not.

Description: I have a new turn signal switch installed. I pulled the pump and connected it directly to power and the pump works fine. However, power never gets TO the pump through the harness. I've pulled the owners manual and can find no mention of any dedicated fuse or relay governing the washer pump. I got my hands on the wiring diagram for the pump and you need a Ph.D. in electrical engineering to decipher how the elecricity goes from the battery to the switch to the pump and then to ground.

I'm lost.

Any ideas?

Old 11-26-2011, 04:39 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm going to assume that you actually checked the pump and it moves fluid...not just turns on when you direct wired it. There is a diaphragm (IIRC) that could be bad, yet the motor will spin just fine. If you have done that, then there must be a break/short in the wire from the washer switch to the washer pump (or a fuse is out..is it the same as the wiper fuse?). I'd check continuity from the switch to the pump and whatever fuse runs the washers.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:13 PM
YellerMax
Senior User
Yeah I tested the pump without it being installed in the fluid reservoir and it didn't turn on...

I thought about testing continuity, but I have no way of knowing which of the bajillion (that's X x 10^33) wires in the turn signal switch harness controls the washer motor.

If the wiper fuse controls it, it's a no go because the wipers work fine.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:32 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by YellerMax
Yeah I tested the pump without it being installed in the fluid reservoir and it didn't turn on...
In your first post you said "I pulled the pump and connected it directly to power and the pump works fine".

In the under hood fuse box there is a row of 6 relays. The three furthest from the firewall are Washer Pump, Wiper Run/Park and Wiper Hi/Low. See the ownwer's manual. Swap the Waher Pump relay with either the Hi/Low or Park/Run relay and see if washer pump will run.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 PM
YellerMax
Senior User
What I meant with the 'didn't turn on' statement is that the pump works when directly connected to a battery, but not when connected to the harness and activated with the washer switch.

My owner's manual doesn't show the under-hood relays... not sure why? Thanks for the info I will check them out and get back to you

Old 11-26-2011, 07:17 PM
YellerMax
Senior User
Just double checked, and for whatever reason my owner's manual does not describe an underhood relay/fuse station. I pulled them open, and I have two bays: one with two large relays, and one with one large and two small relays. I swapped every imaginable combination and nothing worked

If I had the correct diagram and I knew which one was SUPPOSED to work, and which harnesses were SUPPOSED to power the system, I'd at least have somewhere to start. This is frustrating.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by YellerMax
Just double checked, and for whatever reason my owner's manual does not describe an underhood relay/fuse station. I pulled them open, and I have two bays: one with two large relays, and one with one large and two small relays. I swapped every imaginable combination and nothing worked

If I had the correct diagram and I knew which one was SUPPOSED to work, and which harnesses were SUPPOSED to power the system, I'd at least have somewhere to start. This is frustrating.
Sorry about the relay location being wrong. That was for a 1999-2001 and I re-read your post and you have an 2002. I can't find any relays for the wipers and washer for a 2002 either but did find 2 separate fuses for the wipers. #33 15A designated front wiper and 106 30A designated wiper main. Check both of those. One might be for the pump.

The relays under hood on your truck are for trailer tow and ESOF.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 PM
YellerMax
Senior User
Both relays checked out OK.

I'd really like to start tracing the harness and check continuity. As a general rule, is each wire in the truck a unique color or are they repeated? The pump hot is a black with white stripe. I've traced this back and found the same wire pre-firewall, but I don't want to mess with it if it could be going to something else.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:12 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would say they repeat the colors there are a lot of wires.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:39 PM
YellerMax
Senior User
There are a lot of wires, but not a preposterous number of SYSTEMS, which would be the determinant. Didn't know if anyone knew offhand.

I may try to make it by a dealership this week and see if I can get the wiring diagram printout... haven't had any luck searching online