Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pre-Pump Filtration - Questions re Best Practices

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:51 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Question Pre-Pump Filtration - Questions re Best Practices

First off, the question I pose a little further down only applies to those who are currently running (or have run in the past) a pre-pump fuel filter.

I've been running the Baldwin pre-pump filtration setup (from ITP / Sinister / Strictly Diesel) for about 3 years now on my F250, and am happy with the fact that I've had ZERO problems with the system. I am now re-investigating the mod after having just gone through a plugged inline screen on my Excursion. In the past, I had thought that my next effort on this mod would be to install a clear bowl Racor setup, but I really don't want to spend those dollars given the success of the much cheaper Baldwin system on my F250.

Here is what I've come up against in my own thought process, and I've never seen it addressed by anyone who is running one of these systems (Baldwin, Dahl, AirDog, Racor, FASS, etc.)...

How often (if ever) do you drain your pre-pump filter to check for water contamination?

In all honesty, I've changed the filter once yearly with no operational issues whatsoever, but have never even thought about draining it periodically to check for water contamination. After all, the BF1212 element I'm using is a fuel filter/water separator built as a single unit. If it separates water, and we ALL know that diesel ALWAYS has just a little bit of water in it, then I SHOULD be draining/checking periodically... RIGHT?

Old 11-25-2011, 11:53 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
First off, the question I pose a little further down only applies to those who are currently running (or have run in the past) a pre-pump fuel filter.

I've been running the Baldwin pre-pump filtration setup (from ITP / Sinister / Strictly Diesel) for about 3 years now on my F250, and am happy with the fact that I've had ZERO problems with the system. I am now re-investigating the mod after having just gone through a plugged inline screen on my Excursion. In the past, I had thought that my next effort on this mod would be to install a clear bowl Racor setup, but I really don't want to spend those dollars given the success of the much cheaper Baldwin system on my F250.

Here is what I've come up against in my own thought process, and I've never seen it addressed by anyone who is running one of these systems (Baldwin, Dahl, AirDog, Racor, FASS, etc.)...

How often (if ever) do you drain your pre-pump filter to check for water contamination?

In all honesty, I've changed the filter once yearly with no operational issues whatsoever, but have never even thought about draining it periodically to check for water contamination. After all, the BF1212 element I'm using is a fuel filter/water separator built as a single unit. If it separates water, and we ALL know that diesel ALWAYS has just a little bit of water in it, then I SHOULD be draining/checking periodically... RIGHT?
Couldn't hurt. I started draining my prepump filter about once a month after doing the fuel bowl delete, since this is my only "water trap" now. I haven't discovered a notable amount of water in it however.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:38 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Dahl 100 in mine. Clear bowl allows me to see water if I had it.

Drain it once-in-a-while, but usually only when needing some fuel as solvent.

Have never found any water, at all! We must have some dry fuel out here.

Beyond the bulk handling of the fuel before pumping it into your truck, fullness of your tank, average relative humidity of the air, and temperature swings to condense the moisture, play a big part in what you'll find.

Pop

Old 11-26-2011, 07:36 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
I put a Hastings filter/water sep on mine about 6 mos. ago & plan on draining some fuel out 2 or 3 times a year.

I really do not know if that's too often or not but I don't see how it can hurt. I just drained some a couple of weeks ago when I did an oil change & didn't have any water that I could see in a glass jar.

JMO but if I was doing a lot of traveling to different parts of the country getting fuel from several diff places I'd probably do it a little more often, that maybe a little goffey but that's just me.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:53 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I use the same pre-pump filter that you do Pete (Baldwin BF1212) for a few years...Never once have I found any water when I have drained the Baldwin filter into a jar or when I have checked the filter at the engine. Course I am out here in the desert and relative humidity probably averages around 8% and I buy fuel from at a major truck stop in Reno.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:11 PM
lhud
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have a Dahl like Pop. I keep an eye on the clear bowl for any trapped contamination and as the negative pressure (suction) increases on my guage, I change the filter.
This also prolongs changing the OEM filter on the engine.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
OK, then all of you guys' experience is consistent with the fact that it simply has not been a matter of discussion on the forum. I'm going to start checking periodically, but will continue to not worry about the issue unnecessarily. I am also using a fuel additive which causes any moisture to become emulsified so that it will simply pass through the combustion chamber and not buildup in the tank. I'll see what I find, and if I find anything other than what you guys have expressed, I'll start looking for a new fuel station.

Thanks.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:41 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by F250_
OK, then all of you guys' experience is consistent with the fact that it simply has not been a matter of discussion on the forum. I'm going to start checking periodically, but will continue to not worry about the issue unnecessarily. I am also using a fuel additive which causes any moisture to become emulsified so that it will simply pass through the combustion chamber and not buildup in the tank. I'll see what I find, and if I find anything other than what you guys have expressed, I'll start looking for a new fuel station.

Thanks.
I wonder about emulsifiers and if they are actually good for diesel systems in general. I have read (can't say where) that emulsifiers cause the water to pass through the water stripper barrier on filters like the Baldwin you and I are using. I don't use any additives which emulsify (typically alcohol), because I don't want the injectors to ever see any water (emulsified or not). Sure would like to get others opinions on this issue...I can tell you the heavy trucks I drive are prohibited from using any additive other than supplied by the shop (which does NOT contain emulsifiers). Here is a quote from Dieselman's website:

"Do not use any fuel additive containing alcohol or ones that would allow water to pass through the fuel system to be burned off in the cylinders. The tolerances of the fuel injectors are so precise that this could cause damage and failure of the injectors from the lack of lubrication..."

It would seem that, if anything, addtives with de-emulsifiers (Howe's, as an example) would be preferable IF the primary purpose was keeping water out of the fuel injectors. From the Stanadyne additive website (I think this is the recommended additive by Ford for the 7.3, correct?):

Helps Remove Water - special water demulsifier causes tiny water droplets to come out of suspension/emulsion, so the filter/water separator can be more effective.

Alcohol Free - avoids corrosion and accelerated wear.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

I hadn't given the subject much thought, as I haven't encountered water, but water is water is water when passing through the engine.

Yes, it would certainly be more damaging if not emulsified, but I'd think if it could be separated out without added emulsifiers, all the better.

I don't believe that I would use them myself, and would seek a higher-volume fuel supplier if water was a problem.

I suspect Neal's OTR-owners' policy about what goes in a tank has been developed over a long period with a lot of research and practical experience.

I'd think that is "best practice".

Pop

Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I hadn't given the subject much thought, as I haven't encountered water, but water is water is water when passing through the engine.

Yes, it would certainly be more damaging if not emulsified, but I'd think if it could be separated out without added emulsifiers, all the better.

I don't believe that I would use them myself, and would seek a higher-volume fuel supplier if water was a problem.

I suspect Neal's OTR-owners' policy about what goes in a tank has been developed over a long period with a lot of research and practical experience.

I'd think that is "best practice".

Pop
Thanks Pop...I went to Power Service's website and they say "Disperses water in diesel fuel...". Makes you wonder, but I am guessing keeping the water molecules "glued" to each other in as large a blob as possible is the ticket. I know the shop dips the tank at the yard with a stick that has a water detector on it. If there is more than one-inch of water, they drain it off the bottom using a siphon.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:34 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
wow I've used the DK gray summer/white winter for quite some time, now you have me scratching my head wondering...IDK

Old 11-27-2011, 04:16 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by cj45lc
wow I've used the DK gray summer/white winter for quite some time, now you have me scratching my head wondering...IDK
Not my intention...I have done a lot of reading since I first posted about "to emulsify, or not to emulsify...that is the question" and it seems that nearly all manufacturers of diesel engines suggest or state that de-emulsification is the way to go with modern "water stripper" filters. Ford obviously is on the de-emulsification side of the issue (seeing they spec Stanadyne additive), but I sure would want a water-stripper filter before the fuel pump and why didn't they install one from the factory? Is this an example of the engineer saying "do it" and the bean-counter saying "NO"? I can see in heavy-trucks covering 500-1000 miles per day where this issue is clear-cut...don't let any water reach the pump or injectors! BTW, the water stripping agent in these filters is silicone. All the heavy trucks I drive use a centrifuge filter to remove water/contaminants...effective, but costly.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:52 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by nlemerise
All the heavy trucks I drive use a centrifuge filter to remove water/contaminants...effective, but costly.
Even more costly to not use one!

No frills in that industry, just what pays back!

Pop

Old 11-27-2011, 05:14 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder about emulsifiers and if they are actually good for diesel systems in general. I have read (can't say where) that emulsifiers cause the water to pass through the water stripper barrier on filters like the Baldwin you and I are using.

This article discusses the pass-through: Filtration + Separation - Fuel filtration: Protecting the diesel engine

________

I also run the Balwin and drain it occasionally. Draining has yielded some debris and a bit of water, very small amounts of both. Recently switched my boat over to a clear bowl racor that fit the existing filter head. I really like having the bowl and would definitely go that route on the truck if there was a clear bowl filter that would fit the ITP-supplied head.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:17 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Not my intention...I have done a lot of reading since I first posted about "to emulsify, or not to emulsify...that is the question" and it seems that nearly all manufacturers of diesel engines suggest or state that de-emulsification is the way to go with modern "water stripper" filters. Ford obviously is on the de-emulsification side of the issue (seeing they spec Stanadyne additive), but I sure would want a water-stripper filter before the fuel pump and why didn't they install one from the factory? Is this an example of the engineer saying "do it" and the bean-counter saying "NO"? I can see in heavy-trucks covering 500-1000 miles per day where this issue is clear-cut...don't let any water reach the pump or injectors! BTW, the water stripping agent in these filters is silicone. All the heavy trucks I drive use a centrifuge filter to remove water/contaminants...effective, but costly.
Please don't think I was busting your stones Neal

I feel pretty comfortable with what I've got now, like you I bet there were quite a few "bean-counter" deals on our trucks. The dead head fuel sys jumps out at me also

Quick Reply: Pre-Pump Filtration - Questions re Best Practices