Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

its cold outside.is your fuel economy taking a nasty hit? the cause may be more than winter fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:28 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
its cold outside.is your fuel economy taking a nasty hit? the cause may be more than winter fuel

when the temps fall,we notice a pretty hefty hit in fuel economy.
most of us associate this drop in economy to winter refined fuel,that is more like #1 than #2 to combat gelling,which reduces the energy in the fuel,and simply accept it.
stop that!
the fact is,the drop's in temps can lead to reduced economy even if you where running summer grade blend (theoretically without gelling.)

here are some tips to follow (at least consider) to help maintain your MPG's this winter.

1.check your tire pressure.
check and adjust when cold.max them.reduced tread on the road provides better traction anyway,less rolling resistance possible,and as temps drop,tires will loose pressure.check regularly.

2.avoid idling.this is a BIG one.
yes it's cold out,and it's very nice to have a truck all up to temp,but idling cuts into your MPGs big time.
consider doing a few other things instead;
a.use the block heater.
b.ditch the fan (a real temp gauge should be installed.) you'll probably find in some regions this time of year,the engine fan is not needed.(use common sense,don't rip it off and expect to go towing large weight around uphill all day.)
c.install a winter grill cover/block off the radiator. (real temp gauge required.common sense required when/if needed to be removed lol.)
d.can you park the truck in a garage?
e.if all else fails,suck it up and take it like a man. bundle up.its cold out there.what if you brake down and are not prepared? you'll be surprised how quickly the temps raise in the cab once you get headed out.to help things along,select a lower gear and drive a little slower to keep rpms up around 2k rpm for a couple miles.before you know it,you'll be roasting and pulling over to ditch the heavy cloths.

3.have an auto trans? (not so much of a concern for the older c6,as the converter never locks.she'll heat up just fine,unless you got carried away with a massive aux cooler.in which case pay attention.)
efficiency of the auto trans falls off quickly below 150F trans temps.
watch your temp gauge and block off aux coolers as needed,or install a remote oil cooler thermostat.whatever works to keep a min trans fluid temp of 150F.
the E40D is a pretty advanced trans.it does have a temp sensor and will keep the converter from locking up until a certain temp.so this does help.but iv found it's no where near enough (nor would be desirable anyway to keep the converter unlocked anymore than stock,as it would reduce economy and neglect at some point.im sure the engineers set this close enough) to help get the temps up when she's cold out.but an external oil t-stat i installed a couple months ago in advance,is really helping her right out.

4.have you considered synthetic oils yet?
if your set in your ways and prefer dino lube for your idi,ok,fine.your choice.we won't make it a debate.but how about the differentials?
consider it at least.your wallet may thank you.

5.it's cold out.being cold is not fun.i agree.but if you don't need your front hubs locked in,consider pulling over and getting out for just 20 seconds to unlock them.driving around with them locked isn't the best idea for fuel economy ok.again a little common sense,if you know down the road just a couple miles,your going to need 4wd again,well duh.but if your going to drive for 10 miles and your sure that lever won't get pulled........do your wallet a favor.

got more tips too? share 'em.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:01 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent thread!

As for idling, I personally, with the diesels, don't take off untill the high idle kicks off. That goes for winter or summer! Winter just takes alot longer. I do the same with any vehicle I drive anyways.

Block heater is a big help, even if your glow plugs and everything is working and you don't really need it, I always used mine whenever I could.

(I'd rep ya for this great post, but it still won't let me!)

Old 11-24-2011, 08:02 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6. Be a man and don't worry about fuel economy, it's a truck not a prius.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:04 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the info.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:11 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SnuffthePunkz
6. Be a man and don't worry about fuel economy, it's a truck not a prius.
lol true.but some of us need to drive a truck and can't use a prius for hauling/towing/plowing etc.with these fuel prices,a few simple tips can save all the readers of this thread (over time) literally thousands of dollars combined, just this winter alone.
that means more $ left for food on the table to some. and best part is,some of these tips cost nothing.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to rep as well but wont let me... Thanks for the info!

Old 11-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't rep him either.

Point of interest, when my block heater has been plugged in all night, the high idle wont even set......the engine is already past 120°F.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:11 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
lol true.but some of use need to drive a truck and can't use a prius for hauling/towing/plowing etc.with these fuel prices,a few simple tips can save all the readers of this thread (over time) literally thousands of dollars combined, just this winter alone.
that means more $ left for food on the table to some. and best part is,some of these tips cost nothing.
I hear you. I wouldn't drive a prius if I had one given to me. I love trucks, and big suv's (excursion/bronco centurian) to much.

Spent last winter in -30C, and left my truck(s at the time) idling all the time if I wasn't able to plug her in. Left the camp plow truck running at like 4pm when I left to drive down the canyon, got back the next morning with groceries/parts. The batteries/glow plugs were toast, and with the snow that was coming over night I knew I needed to plow. Brought diesel back with me but the thing was only down like 1/2 of one tank. Blew me away, think it's got an aftermarket or something.

As for the high psi, it's also helpful with deep snow, more cutting down to solid ground power.

I can drive like an old woman and fill up once every 2 weeks, or lay the throttle down and fill up in a few days. But your right it's all in how you drive them.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Onus
Posting Guru
Good point about the transcooler blockoff. Need a gauge for my e4od as its probably getting overcooled in the winter. What are the thermostats you talk about? My truck needs some water temp gauge, and trans temp gauges.

http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Me...ool-MAX-cooler any thoughts on this?

Old 11-25-2011, 12:16 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know much about the E40D, but I can crank my wifes superdury and back it out in 40 below weather and the tranny is up to normal temps idling for ten minutes.
If you are going to run an auto in cold climates, and have to park outside and plug your truck in anyway, spend the fifteen bucks and five minutes it takes to glue a tranny heater on it. There will be no cold starts on your tranny, it saves a lot of wear and tear.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Onus
Posting Guru
My radiator interchange is bypassed thus why i worry about low temps.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:37 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can also use an outside flood light under the trans pan to keep it warm. You would be surprised how warm it will keep and engine or trans in really cold weather. I used a light when I lived in Chicago and it took very little time to have the heater putting out nice and toasty heat.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:39 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Onus
Good point about the transcooler blockoff. Need a gauge for my e4od as its probably getting overcooled in the winter. What are the thermostats you talk about? My truck needs some water temp gauge, and trans temp gauges.

transmissioncoolers.us: Tru-Cool Remote External bypass any thoughts on this?
here ya go.check out my install:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...l#post10773358

yeah,that blue one also looks like the same game.
http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Me...ions-by-MK.pdf

Old 11-25-2011, 09:52 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
one great thing about cali no winter fuel needed out here evil laught

Old 11-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Iowa-Rob
Mountain Pass
We live in Iowa where it gets cold and have a 94 7.3 pre-powerstroke.
Is a block heater the best option or what about an inline radiator hose that circulates the antifreeze?
It has nothing now and I want to install something soon so wondered what was the best for the engine and most efficient.

Quick Reply: its cold outside.is your fuel economy taking a nasty hit? the cause may be more than winter fuel