its cold outside.is your fuel economy taking a nasty hit? the cause may be more than winter fuel - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Reload this Page >

its cold outside.is your fuel economy taking a nasty hit? the cause may be more than winter fuel

Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

its cold outside.is your fuel economy taking a nasty hit? the cause may be more than winter fuel

Old 11-26-2011, 01:13 AM
ihf-350
Elder User
ihf-350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I saw on the news a year or two ago when they were talking bout mpgs they said you don't have to let them warm up more than 15 seconds

Old 11-26-2011, 07:57 AM
fellro86
Post Fiend
fellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud offellro86 has much to be proud of
The news likely was talking about gassers.
Rob, the block should have a heater already in it, most likely. Look at the core plug by the starter, that is the common installed location. Otherwise, the one for the lower rad hose will be better than nothing at all.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:23 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
eatont9999 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How long should I let my truck idle in the morning before I take off? I don't have a high idle solenoid, either, so that is not an option. I usually give her a little fuel and idle at 1100-1200 until the temp gauge starts to move, then I take off. I stay light on the throttle until she warms up some more.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:47 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
its my understanding that a properly functional fan clutch engages at cold start.
if your leaving the fan on during the winter months (because you work the truck,or live in Texas. ) then this most likely takes much longer than my truck with electric fans.
i usually start her up and let it idle while loading up the tools needed for the day and head right out.this is usually with around 100 degree engine temps,and 70 degree trans temps.within just a tenth or two of a mile her cold advance kicks off,couple miles she's fully warm with 200 engine/130 (nah,actually not even yet i don't think) trans temps.
i notice i need to install my trans t-stat prior to the trans cooler in the radiator not just in front of my aux cooler,because i can drive for over half hour,sometimes more,and sometimes even longer without seeing a min of 150 degrees still this year,and it's not even all that cold yet.when not working her,iv even been keeping the winter grill cover on too.this raises her engine temps up real nicely to 225ish (still well below the max 237F.i play a fine line here though between having the e-fans come on slow,even medium on the hills.it's a balancing act.)
the winter grill cover works two fold for fuel economy actually.did you know this?
not only does it get the engine/trans temps up quicker for less ware on them and improved economy,but also instead of ramming the air in the grill it pushes it to the side of the truck.grill blocks are hypermillers trick too due to this.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:14 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.
Just make sure your winter front is not covering the air intake, or power and mileage will go the other way. I have never needed a winterfront on my idi, but a friend had one on his stroke covering the whole grill and it killed his mileage. When I stop and idle for very long in my kw I will zip mine closed, if I forget it and take off,it reminds me quick. Covering the whole intercooler makes a big difference on power.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:18 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Posting Guru
SnuffthePunkz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT View Post
i usually start her up and let it idle while loading up the tools needed for the day and head right out.this is usually with around 100 degree engine temps,and 70 degree trans temps.within just a tenth or two of a mile her cold advance kicks off,couple miles she's fully warm with 200 engine/130 (nah,actually not even yet i don't think) trans temps.
Heh, lucky. I start her up, then go eat breakfast, make some coffee, sip said coffee. Saunter out to truck, scrape the ice off truck, cuss that I forgot to turn the defrost on to make things easier. Get in truck, and about now she's usually good to go. Gotta love Canadian Winters...

Old 11-26-2011, 01:35 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.
After the first good time or two every winter, I remember to turn the defrost on high. lol

Old 11-26-2011, 01:45 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Posting Guru
Heh... yeah it's set to that now, the other day my locks froze, and my awesome double blue flame lighter I used last winter for defrosting locks, was in my ash tray... What a gong show that morning was.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:55 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Been there too, we only have the ice on windshield problem , and freezing locks for a couple weeks in the fall really, after it cools down we just have to dust the snow off and we are good. I don't know why, I guess the way they are built, but if you don't dust off a dodge, the windows will freeze shut and sometimes even the doors.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:58 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Posting Guru
Lucky, I've had the doors and windows freeze shut on the 98 F150 at like -10C.
My IDI's weather stripping froze to the frame a few times last winter, but it's like 20 years old, it gave with a good tug. gotta love these solid handles, vs the ones on the 98.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:56 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
'94IDITurbo7.3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by ihf-350 View Post
I saw on the news a year or two ago when they were talking bout mpgs they said you don't have to let them warm up more than 15 seconds
yes that is for gassers like allready said.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:05 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
LOL As far as I am concerned that is for greenies, not gassers. In my opinion even a gas rig needs warmed up, and it depends on the temp as to how long. Greenies and enviro whackos came up with the idea not to warm them up.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster
Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.
both to be honest lol...

Old 12-23-2011, 01:48 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
kicking up thread for reminder.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
Country_boy_2007 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
a peice of cardboard and a few wire ties works wonders. the biggest thing that ive noticed is parking my truck inside the barn and plugging it in. even in an unheated steel building, if its much above zero my high idle wont even kick in in the morining if i leave it plugged in all night

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: its cold outside.is your fuel economy taking a nasty hit? the cause may be more than winter fuel

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.