General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Any 45-70 Caliber Fans Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 12:36 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any 45-70 Caliber Fans Out There?

Always wanted one.....Don't know why......Maybe I just like the .45 caliber in a rifle......

Anyway, just got the Marlin Model 1895 "Cowboy" gun (26" octoganal barrel......9 in the pipe....."cowboy" grip.....). Torched off a box of 20 just for 'familiarization'......Loud as Hell, but the recoil (the gun is still stripped-down.....no recoil pad, no scope....nada) was manageable. Fired the 'light' game ammo.....so I'm sure the recoil was about as light as you could expect from a 45-70.

Anyone experienced with the 45-70? Like? Dislike? Not doing much more to it other than a decent scope, recoil pad, leather sling........I'm sure I'll be mostly deer hunting with it, but will eventually go bigger.

Hell. Talk about your favorite hunting rifle of ANY caliber if you wish.

I wouldn't mind doing some long-range target shooting with it too. Sonovabich has a hell of a trajectory. Plugging away at 50-yards.....noticed it had about a 4" to 6" 'rise' in trajectory.....so had to aim low to get it dead-center.

Don't get enough rifle shooting lately. Have to change that situation post-haste. It's FUN!

Old 11-24-2011, 06:43 PM
clux
Post Fiend
I'm a flat and fast fan myself but there's nothing wrong with the 45-70gov, unbeatable hitting power downrange. You just need to have an understanding of the ballistics of the round, which is true regardless of what you shoot.

I shot a lot of doves with my great grandpa's trapdoor springfield and a few boxes of .410 shells when I was a kid. A multipurpose rifle, for sure.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:21 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Love the .45-70!!!!!!

I wanted the 1895CB (Cowboy) but, I found an 1895G (Guide Gun) first.

So. . . the 1895G is in the safe. This was early 2001.

Later in 2001, I found an 1895CB and picked it up!!!!

No photos of the Cowboy Gun, but, I've got a couple of pics of the Guide Gun!!

LOVE that big, fat "catridge"!!!!

I put a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32mm scope on the Guide Gun.

I also changed the 'brick' recoil 'pad' (what a joke!) and put a Limbsaver Pad on there.
What a joy to shoot!!

Hardcast 405 gr Hardcast Lead bullets and a decent load of Alliant Reloader 7, shoots to one ragged hole at 100 yards!!

I took a wild hog with that rifle/load, in late March. 320+ lb hog. One shot. 20 yards.
The hog shuddered and dropped, right where he stood.
One of my hunting buddies was standing nearby, and saw the shot. He said that the hog's hide looked like a rock hitting a pond! The hog shuddered and was down. Not even a quiver after it went down.

Here's a close-up of the bullets.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:36 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by clux

I'm a flat and fast fan myself
I have a .243 which I love.....

but there's nothing wrong with the 45-70gov, unbeatable hitting power downrange. You just need to have an understanding of the ballistics of the round, which is true regardless of what you shoot.
Yup. Been doing a little reading on it (45-70) lately. The bullet drop at long ranges can be measured in feet....With the trajectory of the bullet striking at about a 30% angle.......

Gonna get the scope (the old-timers like the long-range tang sights......I'm not that much of a purist....)......Learn the ballistics at 50-yards....100-yards.....150-yards....and so-on........

I'm a long way from the Marine Corps rifle range. Time to get a 'dope' book......

I shot a lot of doves with my great grandpa's trapdoor springfield and a few boxes of .410 shells when I was a kid. A multipurpose rifle, for sure.
Love it.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:51 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger

Love the .45-70!!!!!!

I wanted the 1895CB (Cowboy) but, I found an 1895G (Guide Gun) first.
I'd considered the guide gun. Opted for the cowboy to leave open the usage as a 'target' rifle.

Besides. I already have the perfect 'guide' gun. I have a Winchester Model 71 .348.........More than adequate for knocking down anything on the continent in heavy brush and close quarters.......

(got the reloading dies for it too.....)

I put a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32mm scope on the Guide Gun.

I also changed the 'brick' recoil 'pad' (what a joke!) and put a Limbsaver Pad on there.
What a joy to shoot!!
Love the setup.

Love the bullet sleeve too.

Regarding recoil pads....I could see it being a must if I'm getting into target shooting---particularly if I fire a 'hotter' round. The 300-grain speer bullet (federal) I fired today was fairly tame for a 45-70.....and it still let me know it was being fired!

Now I don't mind recoil, mind you.....But I don't really want a bruised shoulder either.

Hardcast 405 gr Hardcast Lead bullets and a decent load of Alliant Reloader 7, shoots to one ragged hole at 100 yards!!

I took a wild hog with that rifle/load, in late March. 320+ lb hog. One shot. 20 yards.
The hog shuddered and dropped, right where he stood.
One of my hunting buddies was standing nearby, and saw the shot. He said that the hog's hide looked like a rock hitting a pond! The hog shuddered and was down. Not even a quiver after it went down.

Here's a close-up of the bullets.
Looking at 'em makes me wanna say 'ouch'......

Old 11-24-2011, 09:05 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
I bought some Winchester 300 gr JHP rounds and some Federal 300 gr JHP rounds, and was very surprised, when they shot to the same point of aim!

I mean. . . the SAME. As for recoil, this old body couldn't tell any difference.
Mild.

Then, I worked this load with "Cast Performance" 405 gr LWNGC.
40 grains of Reloader 7 (RL-7) in RP cases, with Winchester LR primers.
These are running about 1660 fps.
Real easy on the shoulder, just like the Federal or Winchester loads.

Step up to 42.5 grains of RL-7, and it will get your attention!

I've done some research, and the Marlin rifles will handle some pretty stout loads.
Go too far, and I've seen some pic of the .45-70 Marlins coming apart!! (NOT pretty!)

Old 11-25-2011, 08:11 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
wow, talk about a blast from the past!!

40 years ago, i used to use a 45-70 guide gun for deer hunting.
i wonder what ever happened to that gun??

i now use either a winchester model 94 in 44 magnum, or the ruger model 77 in 25-06 when i want to blow something up..

Old 11-25-2011, 08:14 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
I have a .243 which I love.....

Yup. Been doing a little reading on it (45-70) lately. The bullet drop at long ranges can be measured in feet....With the trajectory of the bullet striking at about a 30% angle.......
You also need to be cognizant that what is several feet above the line of sight might still in the bullets path.......................

Old 11-25-2011, 02:19 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
You also need to be cognizant that what is several feet above the line of sight might still in the bullets path.......................
HOPEFULLY just a lot of empty ground and air between me and a target at a rifle range........

If I can keep 'er accurate at 500-yards, max.....I'll be happy. That was the 'long' range at the USMC rifle range(s)....(you DID mention 'flat and fast', didn't you? sounds like the M-16 to me....). I wasn't really planning on any 'Quigley Down Under' shots.......

Old 11-25-2011, 05:42 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
With my eyesight needing more and more help (read as I'm getting old!!!!)
I'd like to put one of those nostalgic brass, long-tubed scopes on my Cowboy Gun.
The kind like used on that rifle that Clint Eastwood used, in "Joe Kidd".

I think that would make that 26 octagonal barrel look kinda unique.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:02 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I enjoyed my M1895 while I had it. Traded it away many years ago. At that time, and as far as I know still true today, you have to hand load to get the best out of your 45-70. Originally a black powder loaded round, there are a lot of guns still out there that will not handle the pressures that the brass cases are capable of. So manufacturers are afraid to load the round to its safe limits in modern guns, because someone will ignore the warnings and shoot it in a trapdoor.

The Marlin is capable of shoulder busting loads, and the Ruger #1 or #3 can handle even more. Reloading manuals typically have three sections dedicated to the 45-70, to cover classic weapons, lever guns, and the single shot Rugers and Thompson Centers.

If you don't already hand load, owning that Marlin is your reason to start.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:41 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Great points, bill. I'm gathering from reading more stuff that the 45-70 is a handloaders wet dream.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:07 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a fan of any caliber.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bpounds

The Marlin is capable of shoulder busting loads, and the Ruger #1 or #3 can handle even more. Reloading manuals typically have three sections dedicated to the 45-70, to cover classic weapons, lever guns, and the single shot Rugers and Thompson Centers.

If you don't already hand load, owning that Marlin is your reason to start.
More and more educated as the thread goes on (and I do some more reading).

From what I'm gathering, I can make loads in the Marlin that can go after the 'Alaskan' biggies.........And with a Ruger single-shot, you can handload ammo that can take down the African big boys........Including elephant.....

The ammo I have now can handle whitetails and wild pigs no problem.....

Is there another caliber out there which can run the gamut from deer to elephant? Depending on the bullet and powder charge?

Not that I can see.........

I was looking at the Rugers last night, Bill. What I DON'T like is the fact that they weigh only 7.75-lbs......(the .416).......That's a light rifle for pushing out a muzzle energy of over 5000-lbs.........I'd be more comfortable with a 9-lb or 10-lb rifle if firing such a caliber......

Old 12-01-2011, 10:47 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
I was looking at the Rugers last night, Bill. What I DON'T like is the fact that they weigh only 7.75-lbs......(the .416).......That's a light rifle for pushing out a muzzle energy of over 5000-lbs.........I'd be more comfortable with a 9-lb or 10-lb rifle if firing such a caliber......
The Marlin is probably even lighter, and being a lever action that buttstock is narrow. Wider buttstocks distribute the energy over more area on your shoulder, and don't sting as badly. Either way, it is a hammer. An Orthopedic Surgeons wet dream.

Quick Reply: Any 45-70 Caliber Fans Out There?