6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

03 6.0 l starts fine idles very rough and no power

Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 PM
westcoastdiesel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 6.0 l starts fine idles very rough and no power

hey ive got an 03 f250 superduty and a few weeks ago i was driving home pulled to the side of the road to get a phone call and my truck sounded like it was missfiring and started to shake very rough so i quickly got it home and it barely made it up hills with no power at all, took it to the mechanic and he said it was my wiring harness, so i replaced it and it took weeks to get here and i finally get it in and my truck still seems to be missfiring ad idleing very rough, i replaced my oil less then 1000km ago and ive had 2 injectors replaced. ive talked to a few diesel mechs and he recomended to put some hot shots in it and see if that helps it out. i know some people out there hate hot shots so dont turn this into a hate forum, i would just like any helpful information thanks!

Old 11-24-2011, 07:37 AM
BobbyB
Senior User
Many people have had success with RevX also.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:43 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BobbyB
Many people have had success with RevX also.

I agree, I think you should forgo any real troubleshooting like checking your FICM voltage and jump straight to adding RevX to fix a stiction problem you clearly don't have...

Old 11-24-2011, 08:55 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by westcoastdiesel
ive talked to a few diesel mechs and he recomended to put some hot shots in it and see if that helps it out. i know some people out there hate hot shots so dont turn this into a hate forum, i would just like any helpful information thanks!

Hot shots won't help you AT ALL. You need to pull the codes and troubleshoot. Sounds like your HPOP/STC is leaking, an injector grenaded, your FICM voltage is low (your mechanic might have also broke the FICM harness), starving for fuel (perhaps pulling in air) etc.. If you post back with a little more info the guys on here can walk you through any problem these engines develop.

Side note: In the future, consult with better mechanics, even the dumbest mechanics know enough not to troubleshoot with oil additives, that's like putting 'Radiator Stop Leak' in a leaking radiator instead of replacing the radiator....

Old 11-24-2011, 05:54 PM
westcoastdiesel
New User
thanks for your replys, i put the hot shots in and my trucks starting smoother and is more responsive, but it still sounds like its not idleling proplerly. i am taking it to get codes pulled tomorow and will know a little more then. i am suspecting my ficm is not putting out enough voltage.
some of the things going on are hesitation and not very much power on take off after it gets up a gear or 2 it seems to have power or if i really step on the gas it seems to go a little better. so i think it is starving for fuel and may have a rough injector, hopefully some codes will pop up tomorow and i will know more. there is a little blueish white smoke on cold morning start ups but i live right on the west coast so its very humid here and it only hapens once in awhile.
thank you for responding with good information and i look forward to trouble shooting her problems, i just miss my truck!!!!

Old 11-24-2011, 07:00 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Dude you have injector problems , you just need to find out which one. I just went though the same thing , you also need to check FICM voltage it will do what yours is doing if the volts are low. Have it checked for codes.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:20 PM
westcoastdiesel
New User
yeah iam pretty sure its my injectors and ficm too, but i have heard that the ficm wont send codes youve just gota check it with a volt meter and make sure its putting out 48v im pretty sure. as for the injectors thats what im thinking to i replaced one a few months ago and it was only the one sending codes, i do believe i need an injector but the way my truck is missfiring i believe is my ficm not sending out enough volts. i am brining it to have codes done tomorow and i will have my ficm checked.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:18 AM
gatormccluskey
Posting Guru
Try this. I know everybody is going to jump on my butt for this. I have a customer that had the samething. I pulled the EGR sensor and cleaned it. If it is gumed up and alot of crab on it, clean it. It worked for a while. I did the EGR delete. Also carry the intake and have it cleaned at a radiator shop. Just dont do the EGR delete, clean the crab out of the intake. O.K. boys tell me how wrong I am. Just my .02

Old 11-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
I'm not going to gig ya gator. EGR valve cleaning is a quick, no cost thing to check and I like to work like that (on my vehicles). Definitely could be contributing to his problem and even if not, it's still good preventative maintenance. A good cleaning of the intake while it's off-or so close to it- for a EGR cooler delete is important and often skipped step also. Only possible problem I see is, with the op's screen name he's likely going to have to keep his EGR system working for emission testing.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:07 PM
westcoastdiesel
New User
took it to mechanic to pull codes, very long story short. its my #1 injector, i new this from the begining waste of 50$. but whats odd is i just had that injector ireplaced a few months ago and its under warrenty still so im getting a free one, iam curious to why it failed again, thinkin it might be the egr eating them

Old 11-28-2011, 10:38 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,696 Posts
How would the EGR system eat an injector?

The EGR system only dumps exhaust gas into the intake manifold. The injector system (fuel to the cylinders) is not connected.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:04 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
If its eating injectors more likely a Low fuel pressure problem

Old 11-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
hey guys, arent our 6.0s running off a common rail system? if so, could tat be a possible problem as to why it keeps killing the injector or injectors?

to the op, i gotta agree wif mark there. how can an egr system eat an injector? they're not even together. egr = exhaust gas recirculation. injector = well, it's an injector for fuel. btw, it dont make no sense to me neither. sounds like wiping my *** before i poop. it dont make no sense. i tink we might be sliding away from ur problem.

the key thing in any problem is to determine EXACTLY wat problem it may be, or at least close to it to make an educated guess. i'm glad u spotted the 1st injector as the supposed problem, but please bear in mind tat wif our 6.0s, it could also be a bunch of things together. hence, tats why the guys here mentioned about testing ur ficm, possible low ficm voltage, possible low fuel pressure, might need to do a fuel pressure regulator upgrade (blue spring), etc etc.

it's a process of elimination until u center round the problem. in the meantime, by doing those tests which can be found in our tech folders, ur simply ruling out the possibility tat this may be the prob or tat could be the prob.... yada yada.....

i wish u luck in solving ur probs. hope the injector was the only prob. best of luck.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 PM
westcoastdiesel
New User
yea i was kinda shooting in the dark with the egr. i need to test my ficm i have had it at the shop 2 times and told them mechanics to check it and both time they told me no its fine, kinda thought i pay them to do what i say but apparently not. so i am going to get a voltmeter and do it myself, since the knew injector it runs awesome i love my turbo. it still seems to have some issues with it, it never ends haha. so the knew problems on the go:

somtimes when driving going about 80km when it shifts the rpms stick at around 1500 and when i push down it just sounds like it sticks and whistles. it will only unstick if i floor it and it revs like crazy and shifts or if i let off the pedal and let the rpms go down ghen back on the gas.
also somtimes when going down a hill and i apply the brakes the front end shakes, i have looked it up and it seems like i might have a rust problem. i just got new tires and iam going to look into that when i switch them over.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 6.0 l starts fine idles very rough and no power