Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2002 f-250 v8 7.3l no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:25 PM
capitanjo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 f-250 v8 7.3l no start

well i was trying to resolve this problem a couple weeks ago but i had no luck in it. an then i had to go out to sea for my job so im back read some post..

so problem is my truck is not getting fuel into the fuel bowl . = no start just cranking

im going to take a mulitmeter to the fuel pump but i dont know how many volts it should read or how exactly to do it.. ive tried the siphoning way an it didnt seem to work. so im assuming its a bad fuel pump...

but i read somebody had to replace the spring inside the fuel bowl it was broken or came apart etc.. how do you know if it did that ?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:01 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are sure not getting fuel, are you getting a WTS(Wait to Start) light? Volts at pump should be near 12VDC

Old 11-17-2011, 01:27 PM
capitanjo
Freshman User
wts light does come on..

the pump does turn on.

recently replaced the fuel filter
the fuel does doesnt rise into the bowl.
an i tried pumping with it turning it on multiple times.
checked the fuses as well.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:01 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You need to determine if the pump will actually draw fuel. You need to get a piece of rubber fuel line and a container of diesel fuel. Remove the fuel supply line from the rear of the fuel pump and put the rubber fuel line on and put it in the container of fuel and then turn key to on and see if fuel reaches the bowl. Fuel pump should run about 20 seconds when key is on. You will have to recycle the key to get it to run again.

Here is how to remove the fuel supply line connector at rear of pump. It is not a typical quick-connect type.

If the fuel bowl gets fuel there is a fuel supply restriction back toward the tank.

No fuel to bowl then the pump is bad or the screen built into the back of pump inlet is clogged.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 PM
capitanjo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
You need to determine if the pump will actually draw fuel. You need to get a piece of rubber fuel line and a container of diesel fuel. Remove the fuel supply line from the rear of the fuel pump and put the rubber fuel line on and put it in the container of fuel and then turn key to on and see if fuel reaches the bowl. Fuel pump should run about 20 seconds when key is on. ou will have to recycle the key to get it to run again.

Here is how to remove the fuel supply line connector at rear of pump. It is not a typical quick-connect type.

If the fuel bowl gets fuel there is a fuel supply restriction back toward the tank.

No fuel to bowl then the pump is bad or the screen built into the back of pump inlet is clogged.

wow this is a fantastic picture! i was actually trying to figure that out lol i was like the f*** it wont come of..

i will try on saturday sadly i have to work on my ship all day an night tmw.

what is this screen your talking about on the pump inlet ? is that on the actual fuel pump ?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:21 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a link to a modification to remove the intank screens, your fuel pump is on the frame rail below the driver's side front door. No pump in the tank it uses suction.

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Yes, there is a screen on the actual fuel pump to keep large debris from getting sucked into the pump and causing it to self destruct.

When you changed your fuel filter, did you mess with the center plastic shaft that the filter pushed down on? That center shaft is designed to prevent fuel from entering the bowl if a filter is not in place. If you messed with that center shaft, it may be affecting things.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 PM
capitanjo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Yes, there is a screen on the actual fuel pump to keep large debris from getting sucked into the pump and causing it to self destruct.

When you changed your fuel filter, did you mess with the center plastic shaft that the filter pushed down on? That center shaft is designed to prevent fuel from entering the bowl if a filter is not in place. If you messed with that center shaft, it may be affecting things.
i did take the heater coil thats inside it yes. i will have to on saturday look at that again thats a good possibility if the fuel pump isnt bad.
is there instructions somewhere I can find anything about that? you guys are awesome.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
To remove the heater coil, you have to remove 2 screws off the black stand pipe. Pull the stand pipe and the heater out. If you didn't screw that center stand pipe back in, I'd guess that is the problem.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:32 AM
capitanjo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by F350-6
To remove the heater coil, you have to remove 2 screws off the black stand pipe. Pull the stand pipe and the heater out. If you didn't screw that center stand pipe back in, I'd guess that is the problem.
i screwed the center piece back in an im going to replace the fuel pump now an see what happens i got this werid noise coming from passenger side behind battery this is what it looks like. Facebook

do you know what the heck this is ? an is that good or bad that its making noise.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:43 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Joe! That picture is unavailable at Facebook (you might want to open a Photobucket account so you can put pictures up here easily). Anyway, I am betting the sound behind the battery is the vacuum pump which runs to produce vacuum for controls...nothing to do with your no-start condition.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:39 PM
capitanjo
Freshman User
gotcha well alright then, so i replaced the fuel pump. and I primed it again with the key an it still won't fill the fuel bowl and when im cranking it everyonce in awhile itll do a hiccup an sound better but stays the same still doesnt want to turn over nor fill the bowl... idk where to look next.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:00 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You need to disconnect the line at the front of the fuel pump, hook a hose to it, and direct the hose into a container. Then you need to turn the key on "KOEO" and see if there is output from the fuel pump. You will either get output or not. If I remember correctly you should get at least a pint in 10 seconds.

If you do get output:

The problem lies in the lines going to the fuel bowl from the pump or in the inlet at the fuel bowl. I'd disconnect at the fuel bowl and try putting air through the line.

If you get no output:

The problem lies in the pump (new doesn't always mean good), the lines going back to the fuel tank, or the inlet screens inside the fuel tank.

If you send your phone number to my email (nlemerise@usa.com) I'd be glad to talk with you about it.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:28 PM
capitanjo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by nlemerise
You need to disconnect the line at the front of the fuel pump, hook a hose to it, and direct the hose into a container. Then you need to turn the key on "KOEO" and see if there is output from the fuel pump. You will either get output or not. If I remember correctly you should get at least a pint in 10 seconds.

If you do get output:

The problem lies in the lines going to the fuel bowl from the pump or in the inlet at the fuel bowl. I'd disconnect at the fuel bowl and try putting air through the line.

If you get no output:

The problem lies in the pump (new doesn't always mean good), the lines going back to the fuel tank, or the inlet screens inside the fuel tank.

If you send your phone number to my email (nlemerise@usa.com) I'd be glad to talk with you about it.
alright sounds good i just emailed you.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:00 PM
capitanjo
Freshman User
i did what you suggested to see if fuel was coming from the output into my bottle. i got nothing.. i even unpluged the other fuel filter an just made it a straight shot.

I started at removing the fuel tank but alot of my bolts for some odd reason are shredded so now its even a much bigger pickle.

i wonder if theres some kind of cleaner i could run thru to make it easier then pulling it off i doubt it thou.

Quick Reply: 2002 f-250 v8 7.3l no start