Sponsored by: DP Tuner

CCV delete instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:31 PM
TC-PStroke
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CCV delete instructions?

I've searched to no avail (could be operator error!).

Does anyone have a link handy for the CCV delete?

Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages to doing this mod?

Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 PM
1duallyman
Freshman User
Old 11-16-2011, 12:43 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1duallyman has supplied the intructions and if you aren't going to DIY here is a link to Riffraff CCV Mod Kit.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 PM
TC-PStroke
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1duallyman
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
1duallyman has supplied the intructions and if you aren't going to DIY here is a link to Riffraff CCV Mod Kit.
This site is the kingdom of information and you guys are the Prince's of speed!

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
TC, if you haven't noticed the reason in the articles linked above, it's to keep your boots and turbo clean and free of oil.
Oily boots have been known to blow off.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:46 AM
TC-PStroke
Junior User
Originally Posted by Steve_250
TC, if you haven't noticed the reason in the articles linked above, it's to keep your boots and turbo clean and free of oil.
Oily boots have been known to blow off.

I did pick that up from the article/write up, thanks Steve.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:33 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll also find many get annoyed with the smoke and smell the vent often puts off. Good luck! There are many other easy and cheap, well and expensive things you'll find on this site. As you've seen, great company as well!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:44 PM
DemonRace6
Hi!
TC I am removing my WVO kit and have a lot of 3/4" coolant hose that you could use for the CCV mod, if you want it PM me your address and I'll send it over to you.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:15 PM
TC-PStroke
Junior User
Originally Posted by DemonRace6
TC I am removing my WVO kit and have a lot of 3/4" coolant hose that you could use for the CCV mod, if you want it PM me your address and I'll send it over to you.
Thanks Demon.

I don't think I have enough posts to get access to PM's just yet (unless I missed the option).

Old 11-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TC-PStroke
Thanks Demon.

I don't think I have enough posts to get access to PM's just yet (unless I missed the option).
You will get PM's after 25 posts.

Here's a DIY on building a CCV trap for the mod: CCV Mod trap

Old 11-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I read an article from Blackstone that said a closed loop CCV system (such as the OEM Power Stroke) is better for the engine oil compared to a system that is open to the atmosphere (such as the OEM International T444E). They believe there is less oil contamination due to condensation with a closed CCV system and had some data to back up the theory.

We have several of both kinds of systems on our fleet trucks, looking at the oil sample reports I can not tell any difference between the two different systems.

If it gets cold where you live then you want to take care that you route the hose is such a way so moisture doesn't get trapped and freeze.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:49 PM
TC-PStroke
Junior User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
I read an article from Blackstone that said a closed loop CCV system (such as the OEM Power Stroke) is better for the engine oil compared to a system that is open to the atmosphere (such as the OEM International T444E). They believe there is less oil contamination due to condensation with a closed CCV system and had some data to back up the theory.

We have several of both kinds of systems on our fleet trucks, looking at the oil sample reports I can not tell any difference between the two different systems.

If it gets cold where you live then you want to take care that you route the hose is such a way so moisture doesn't get trapped and freeze.
Thanks for the heads up. I live in Northern Michigan in a significant snow belt.... Maybe better off leaving well enough alone?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TC-PStroke
Thanks for the heads up. I live in Northern Michigan in a significant snow belt.... Maybe better off leaving well enough alone?
You can try it and see if you like it better...just keep your original parts in case you want to revert back. I know a guy who did the mod but neglected to plug the hole in the bottom of the intake tube and it ruined his engine. I think the CCV mod is associated with those who go with a 6637 filter and delete the intake tube spacer piece. Unfortunately the guy didn't know about that little detail...

Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
If you route the line straight down into the wheel well, there shouldn't be any freezing issues. Lots of folks in cold areas have done it. The engine heat keeps anything from freezing.

Like S&B said, keep all the parts and do not permanently seal the hole where the CCV goes into the turbo tube. Maybe later on you'll want to do a permanent change and plug it.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:33 PM
TC-PStroke
Junior User
Well, I didn't mean to, really I didn't, but I did the CCV mod today. I was just aiming to check the glow plugs on the drivers side, but to get to the harness, I had to take the connecting sleeves off (does everyone?). Since I had it off and didn't want to have to fight with the elbow to get it back on, I flipped the doghouse and bought the hose.

The only thing, Advance Auto didn't have the o-rings for the doghouse. The old ones were pretty well mashed and fit neither the recess on the doghouse nor the opening on the valve cover. I had to put it back together anyway, just lined them up as best I could. Got it all back together and ran it for 15 minutes, didn't see any obvious leaks.

I didn't terminate it into a trap yet, that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

My plan was to terminate just ahead of the fuel tank on the drivers side. Is that acceptable?

Also, is it imperative that there is never any rise to the hose? the reason I ask is I would like to mount it a bit higher than the bottom of the frame and I have the hose running along the inside/bottom frame rail.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Quick Reply: CCV delete instructions?