1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Coughed Choked and puked and got her home

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:28 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coughed Choked and puked and got her home

Yesterday evening it dropped about 2 inches of rain on the 96 while it sat in the parking lot at work. Got in and she fired up fine. Took off to clock out and on the way out a ran over a track road bump and the truck did a major hicup. the engine almost stopped. It then suddenly recovered and rev'ed up to high rpms. Then went to normal idle and ran for about 40yds and did it again and then died.

I restarted it it did not want to start, (did not think to eye the tach) was in the middle of the highway. But when it started the blew out some smoke I rev'ed the rpms to 2200 and it tried to dead engine on me. But caught its self and lined out.

I took off down the road and it then coughed, dieseled, sputtered and then recovered and then did it again. Acouple of times I thought it tripled fired.

I pull off the highway where it died out again.

Got it started after a serious hard crank. Rev'ed to 2200 and there was the smoke again and a periodic dead spot. It then lined out some. I got out with it running and did a power dump of the fuel bowl. Got back in and it still was acting up. Swapped to the other fuel tank and kept the rpms at 2200 and it was a little better.

So I kept if rev'ed. It stopped the hicups completely. By this time the coolant was at operating temperature so the engine was hot. It was not raining any either. When I looked into the engine nothing was wet at all.

It stayed running at normal rpms so I got back on the highway and started back home. Running it a 60 mph and no issues. I did have the od off to keep the rmps up to heat the engine more. (my thinking was wet connection on a sensor main guess was CPS) anyhow while running home at 60 I swapped fuel tanks again and there was no issue. Never happened again. Ran all the way home like nuthin was wrong.

So I have not yet got out there to check for codes or look around but wanted to post up for some comments and to see if anyone else has had a simular issue before.

I am tinking CPS and/or connection there, so when I fired it maybe the left over rain water from the radiator core blew in on a bad connection and shorted the CPS or something else, but everything up top was bone dry.

welcome some feed back on it.

I am head out now to see if I can find somethin.

Let me know what you think.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Kuraaaazy!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Were there any monkeys with wrenches in the area?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:54 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Talyn
Were there any monkeys with wrenches in the area?

Just one but he was driving

Old 11-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DRRXR
Just one but he was driving
Humor.
Gotta love it.

Be sure to watch out for those bunnies too.
They are michevious.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Best guess, sure sounds like water in the IDM.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:56 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm thinking it's CPS related. I would change the CPS and check the plug

Old 11-16-2011, 02:11 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2X on water in the IDM. That's just a guess but that is sure what it sounds like to me. Just pull it out and give it a shake and listen for water inside it. Either that or I have seen water get into the PCM through a leak at the bottom driver side corner of the windshield. You would probably have seen water on the floorboard if that were the case.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:03 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds to the T like what mine did when I had a fuel restriction. Cept it didn't start back up and clear out.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When mine had a clogged fuel filter, it would run fine at an idle and then just peter out as soon as you put the pedal to it. But I suppose checking the fuel filter wouldn't be a bad idea. How long since your last fuel filter change? Have you checked the fuel pressure? 60 PSI plus at idle is ideal.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:45 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You got two inches of what? I'm not familiar with this rain stuff you're talking about.

Did you get a CEL? Codes would be helpful if you have any. Revving the motor and clearing up after switching tanks does make it sound fuel related, but getting the engine up to temp fixing it makes it sounds electrical. Possibly CPS or connection, UVCH, or IDM.

Having it all start when you hit a bump makes me lean more toward the electrical side.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Update
got the code P0605 so I have went through the IDM, CPS, Fuse 22 & 9 and have not found anything yet. I will go back in tomorrow and recheck the IDM again and pull the PCM and look over the batt wires and fender relay and gpr and the uvcwh and the starter and see where that gets me.

Did notice that fuse 22 was slightly ajar to the side but other than that nothing, the wiring at the cps is all good and has a good clean harness running to the top side. The connection did seem a little flimsy. I will pull the wire on the fuel bowl heater tomorrow and see if its partially grounding and not frying the fuse. I will also change the cps and dope the conection some after cleaning it up.

Who can save me some time digging and tell me which cps is the better one -- I forgot.

One thing I did not mention was my voltage was down some when it all was happening but I thought it was from the gpr on the constant restarts.

Thanks I appreciate the help.

Yea Chris I think its electrical and a combo issue with a short and water, maybe more than one short and I need to do a load check on the batts

Old 11-16-2011, 09:06 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
This is the good one from IH

Old 11-16-2011, 09:10 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Thanks Mike

Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Subscribing, can't think of any thing else to add except the new CPS has a purple O ring on it. Let us know what you find. One thing though, I don't see how you could dump the fuel and not have to refill it for it to start.

Quick Reply: Coughed Choked and puked and got her home