2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Up Yours Ford! Last Straw for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 01:24 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool Up Yours Ford! Last Straw for me

Was replacing my DOD stickers and found this

Aren't I lucky. Consider it gone. Between buying truck in August and Christmas upcoming, I have to wait until Tax Time. I am done with this vehicle. Ford will paint yet another ****ed up area of the Expedition. Then it's for Sale or Trade
More HD pics here: 2008 Expedition Rusted Roof

Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Now I get being pissed about this sort of thing, especially the repeated attempts at fixing your hood...but you would really get rid of your Expy simply because of paint problems? The hood appears to be capable of being fixed with simple touch-up paint, but obviously this requires professional attention.

Now I get it...it was a new car and should have been perfect...but things rarely are. Seems like you are limited to incompetent dealers with your location who just can't seem to fix it.

But what's wrong with the rest of it? Doesn't it still do everything it's supposed to well?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like salt is collecting in the front there. If it is, it will eat down to metal rapidly, especially if the paint is a bit thin. Even then, I still don't see how some paint issues warrant selling a vehicle...

It'll cost you a lot more in depreciation than the cost of painting it.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts
Do you hand wash it or take it thru a car wash?

Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Johnny Law
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with Tylus on this one

I am happy with my Expy as it is brand new as of last June. It is the first FORD I have purchased. I still have my 96 Suburban which still runs great but I wanted to have a back-up tow vehicle. So...

Anyhow, when I looked up at the roof of the Expy, I saw the dimples in the top and for the life of me could not understand why the FORD engineers had them inset. Obviously it is a real problem and a design flaw in my mind. If they were dimpled outwardly there would not be the collection of debris and water.

I noticed these when I was washing and waxing the car right after I purchased it. I noted to myself that these areas are going to be the place that trouble will start. It is not in an area that gets a lot of attention and is difficult to get at. So I'm with Tylus on this one. Fortunately for me I do not live in a Salty air environment so it is not going to be as bad for me. But I will pay attention to this area.

IT IS A DESIGN FLAW. IMO. Hopefully the FORD design engineers will pull there heads out of a dark place and redesign the roof.

Johnny

Old 10-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Just got off the phone with Ford. My previous paint case from 2009 has been re-opened

50k/5yr Corrosion Warranty...if the metal is perforated. Ford may escalate and fix paint as a Customer Appeasement in light of all the other paint issues in past.

I'm getting rid of the vehicle because it has been previosly painted 4 times. Each painting has been a nitemare. I expect nothing less this time. 3 different shops as well. I refuse to keep hoping it will get fixed
If they will even fix it. I might have to drive around with a badly rusting roof for ???? long until a hole develops and THEN they'll only fix that little spot.

Wife and I are looking at several 05 PSD Excursions in Texas, or a 1-2 yr old Flex. I'm not buying another Expedition unless Ford releases the new motors in them. We love this vehicle, but when will it quit being a problem?

Old 10-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Btw, I'm keeping it until the paint is fixed. Ford is going to lose money on me. I will not pawn off a rusting vehicle to someone else, that and it makes me feel good inside to cost Ford money fixing something that should have never been an issue.

I've spent roughly $110,000 in 5 yrs buying brand new Fords. All 3 have required paint repairs. I feel I'm being reasonable in asking that Ford simply have the problem fixed. CORRECTLY! 1 TIME ONLY. Rather than the repeated 1/2 +++ed attempts

Old 10-21-2011, 08:02 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I just don't know what to say.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow !

every ford you've had has had paint issues ?

I lived in South Louisiana for years where there are chemical plants every 100 yards or so and have had fords for years - even with dimples and no rust EVER ?!?

Ever consider it's something in your environment or care ? just asking

Old 10-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

2006 F-150 - bought brand new in Oct 2006 (Seattle)
Paint Defects from factory in pass rear door, door sill and drivers rear sill. both front doors had insuficient paint coverage.

1 week at paint shop, came back good as new. never had another problem with it

truck lived in Hawaii for 2yrs with zero issues until I traded
2008 Expedition - bought brand new in April 2009 (Honolulu)
all 4 doors, rear hatch, hood - insufficient paint coverage from factory

rear hatch had foriegn material under paint by emblems

Hood had corrosion problem (very common with late model Fords)

repainted multiple times. I wash it by hand 1-2 times a month. Wife washes it a few times a month as well using local carwash
2009 Mustang - bought brand new July 2009 (Honolulu)
Insufficient paint on both doors, and hood

corrosion on leading edge of hood

after the issues I had with Expy, I never let it out of my sight. I lived with the shoddy paint since it wasn't so bad. when I trader her in, the hood had just started to look pretty bad

You can point fingers at me. But I refuse to take the blame for crappy painting directly from the factory. The roof is exactly that. And the doors...and the hood...and the rear hatch. I keep it looking pretty good. We get compliments all the time on it because the paint is shiny and relatively scratch/dent free

Old 10-22-2011, 01:28 PM
XB70
Elder User
If the Hawaiian environment can do that to your paint and steel, I hate to imagine what your lungs and digestive tract look like!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Even in a salty environment it should not rust to that extent unless salt water sat in those channels since day 1. It's just poor material and workmanship. I feel for you Tylus. Do what you have to do, fix it and sell it, something, I just think it's time to get out of it all together the least damaging way you can.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:19 PM
XB70
Elder User
That didn't happen overnight. The OP makes it sound like all those rust spots just appeared one day. I think this is the first time he's looked at his roof.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:03 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Doesn't matter. The roof shouldn't rust in 3 years. That's insane. It' not like Tylus doesn't wash his Expedition either.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Johnny Law
Junior User
I think that makes my point about this being a design defect, I don't think that an owner should be required to get on top of their trucks and washing and waxing the roof as much as really needs to be required with this design. Really it is not easy to do. As salts and acidic minerals deposit up there they will eventually eat through the paint causing this. If they just reversed the dimples this would have never happened.

My Suburban's roof is dimpled outward, are GM engineers a bit smarter, I really don't think so. I can't figure out why they did this.

Johnny

Quick Reply: Up Yours Ford! Last Straw for me