1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: If Ford had multiple engine offerings in the future Superduty's which would you choose?
6.7l Diesel
37.96%
6.8L V-10 gas
34.26%
6.2L V-8 gas or bored 7.0L gas
16.67%
Twin Turbo small displacement V-8 (5.0-5.8) ecoboost
18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Gentlemen, your preferred engine please?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:01 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
My thoughts exactly Sand_Man. I remember 15 years ago when I was working summer jobs with my village DPW/Rec Department we drove this early 1970's Chevy pickup. One day we opened the hood and it was amazing to see nothing but a motor and some hoses running to the radiator. You could literally sit in the engine bay. Yea it was a beat work truck but was still going some 25 years later. My father has a 1986 Ford Econoline 150 that he still uses today!! Thats 26 years old!! Sure the 300 I6 is not running like new but it's the only factory van I've ever seen with a 4sp manual!!
I open the hood of my 08 and just like you said a maze of wires and hoses, bad spark plug designs, and just too much computer control. I know the wiring and computer control makes it emissions friendly and allow more precise control over the vehicle. I hate the drive by wire, and loved how Ford's marketing compared it to what is used on our military fighter jets. Really, a $40k pickup truck and a $20 million dollar fighter jet use the same technology? I'm sure that figher jet and Ford share the same technology and thats why the throttle response is so awsome in these trucks .

Old 11-16-2011, 08:29 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Overwhelming support for the V-10. The V-10 is by no means a simple engine nor has it been trouble free. Plenty of special tools required to perform internal work.

I'm not knocking, in fact I feel that it's been one of Ford's overall better engines for hard work.

My BIL has one in a '00 DRW F-350 Scab 4x4 with 4.30 axles. The damned thing will push more snow than any truck I've ever seen. Yet he feels fortunate and cursed to achieve 11 mpg's.

When his truck was built, diesel fuel was cheap and a V-10 made little sense. So 12 years later the tide has turned and at some point a pay off must be realized either for the diesel or the big gasser.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
To be fair, the 5.4 should have been included, or the V10 excluded. The 5.4 is still in use in the Expedition and the E-Series vans. And while it's not in the F-Series pickups any longer, neither is the V10. The V10 is available in the chassis-cab trucks but not the pickups.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
To be fair, the 5.4 should have been included, or the V10 excluded. The 5.4 is still in use in the Expedition and the E-Series vans. And while it's not in the F-Series pickups any longer, neither is the V10. The V10 is available in the chassis-cab trucks but not the pickups.
Good point John and thank you for that, but, the 6.8L is still available in the F-450XL and F-550XL as chassis cab models but the 5.4L is not available in the pickup or work truck segment. So part of my reasoning was that in my opinion, the 6.8L will be around after the 5.4L has been retired.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:34 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
I understand Tim. However, a lot of this is pure speculation also.

On another note, just as a reminder to all, this isn't going to turn into a re-hash of the gas versus diesel debate. If it heads in that direction, it'll get closed.

Let's keep the posts respectable and not bash each others choice of engine.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:41 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
I understand Tim. However, a lot of this is pure speculation also.
Of course it is John, that's the fun of it. This thread spawned from the 2009+ F-150 forum over a very heated discussion about the 6.2L engine in the F-150's. So, I came into this sand box to play a little and try to get a feeling for what the majority of the Superduty respondents preferred.

Much to my amazement, it's clearly not the 6.2L, a futuristic GTDI V-8 engine, the 5.4L or the diesel segment. There's a great deal of loyalty for the 6.8L.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by tseekins
Of course it is John, that's the fun of it. This thread spawned from the 2009+ F-150 forum over a very heated discussion about the 6.2L engine in the F-150's. So, I came into this sand box to play a little and try to get a feeling for what the majority of the Superduty respondents preferred.
I followed that thread for a while. I'm fairly sure this one won't follow that same path.

Much to my amazement, it's clearly not the 6.2L, a futuristic GTDI V-8 engine, the 5.4L or the diesel segment. There's a great deal of loyalty for the 6.8L.
Hate to be Captain Obvious here but that was almost a given. The V10 made it's debut in the Super Duty platform in 1999. Given its tenure in the SD versus the 6.2's, the outcome was basically a given. If the roles were reversed and the 6.2 had been around since '99 and had received the power improvements over the years that the V10 has, and the V10 was in it's second year of use since being introduced, I'd venture to guess that the 6.2 would be the favorite.

Along those lines, not many of the 6.7 guys hang out in this forum. They basically stay in the 6.7 forum so you don't see them participating here or the results might be a little different as well.

With regard to the EcoBoost in a Super Duty, there will always be resistance to change.....regardless of what it is. There will always be a certain segment that doesn't want to accept newer technology regardless of the obvious benefit. It's kind of like the occasional gripe about Ford no longer offering a manual transmission in the SD. Times change and so do vehicles. I'm sure there were people back in the day that swore they'd never buy another new Ford if FMC did away with the flat head V8s. Well they did away with them and they're still in business.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:51 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Well if you like Ford trucks you'll buy what they offer, dont really have a choice anyways. But yea they will continue to sell because we all are too obsessed with having one!!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:07 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I voted in favor of the 6.2L/7.0L thread.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic for the days when Big Block V8's ruled the roost in H.D trucks. You remember...Back then when the Big Gas V8 was the desired engine and the diesel was the side option that few opt'd for.

I can see the benefits of all of them though.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, the Ecoboost technology is the future for both economy and performance. Compare the HP/TQ/MPG's for the engines available for the 2012 F150. The old saying that "There is no replacement for displacement" is over. The 3.5L V6 Ecoboost has excellent MPG's and almost the same level of TQ of the 6.2L but at 2,500 RPM's as opposed to 4,500 RPM's. Whether it's the 5.0L or 6.2L Ecoboost, I believe that it will be perfect in the Super Duty line.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 392pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=524><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 98pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4790" span=4 width=131><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 98pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 height=20 width=131>3.7L V6</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 98pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 width=131>3.5L V6 Ecoboost</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 98pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 width=131>5.0L V8</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 98pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 width=131>6.2L V8</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 height=20>HP - 302@6500</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64>HP - 365@5000</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64>HP - 360@5500</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64>HP - 411@5500</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 height=20>TQ - 278@4000</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>TQ - 420@2500</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64>TQ - 380@4250</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>TQ - 434@4500</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 height=20>(2X4) City - 17</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64>(2X4) City - 16</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64>(2X4) City - 15</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64>(2X4) City - 13</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 height=20>(2X4) Highway - 23</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>(2X4) Highway - 22</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64>(2X4) Highway - 21</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>(2X4) Highway - 18</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 height=20>(4X4) City - 16</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64>(4X4) City - 15</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64>(4X4) City - 14</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64>(4X4) City - 12</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 height=20>(4X4) Highway - 21</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>(4X4) Highway - 21</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64>(4X4) Highway - 19</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>(4X4) Highway - 16</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/engine/

Old 11-21-2011, 01:48 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I completely agree with Ecoboost technology being the wave of the future. It will probably be how Ford maintains it's dominance in the coming age. Furian, I know you weren't suggesting putting the 3.5 in the SD but the ideal has been stated before.

So IMO...

Will the Ecoboost 3.5 v6 to hit the SDs? A few years ago I would have said that a turbo v6 wouldn't sell well in the half-tons. I miss judge the state of America. I believed that the majority of Americans were still proud of their American full sized pickups. I believed that they wouldn't compromise to save a couple of bucks at the pump. I believed that most of us still held onto the "no replacement for displacement" mind set. I was wrong. The popularity of the Ecoboost caught me, and a lot of others, off guard. Be it right or wrong. The same folks that demanded that the majority of trucks sold today to have 4 doors and teeny tiny beds have also demanded that the big displacement V8s be replaced. At least in the half tons.

But will the same hold true in the SDs? I believed that a lot of folks migrated to the SD line up in the late 90s and throughout the 00s after the 97 redesign. With the softer lines, interiors packing too many bells and whistles and poor performing (well that maybe the wrong word, how about "different" performing) MOD motors and soft riding suspensions the half tons just didn't offer much to the working man. Will these people be willing to buy a 1 ton truck with a v6 in it? Will these people give up their V8 (or V10?) growl for the screech of a turbo and the hum of a v6? Will the same guy that bought a new 4.6 powered F150 in 00 only to trade it in on a V10 F350 a year later vowing to never own a small engine truck again really going to settle for a v6? Will the farmer that traded his workhorse 86 F150 for a 99 F250 going to want to pull his heifers to the sell with a v6 in 2012? Is that construction foreman really going to trust a complicated v6 that has only proven itself in light duty applications when his and his workers livelihood depend on the job getting done?

As much of a jewel as this v6 is I don't think that it belongs here. Numbers don't lie but they also don't paint a complete picture either. An Ecoboost 5.0 is possible and likely. A DI, twin turbo 6.2 would be awesome but I doubt we'll see it. I hope that the 3.5 will not migrate to the SDs as other have suggested. I just don't think it belongs or will sell. But I've been wrong before.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:45 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I don't think the 3.5L has enough wallop to handle the mass and expectations of a superduty truck.

However, a small displacement V-8 ecoboost could certainly do the job. The ecoboost is no more complicated than our beloved diesels and perhaps not as complicated.

If over the years the 3.5L proves itself to be worthy not only in power but in long term reliability, then I foresee the large N/A gas engines will go bye bye and the diesel guys may have to work a little harder to justify not owning an ecoboost.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:53 PM
AJB201
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
between plowing snow and pulling I wouldn't own anything but a diesel.

Would be neat to see what kind of power they could get out of the 6.2 liter by adding twin turbos to it though.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:29 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
I must admit to have that torque number at a low rpm is pretty impressive for a smaller gas motor. We're all so used to the high rpms for the gassers to get the power to the ground. Wonder if they could rig up and "ecoboost" system for my V10....

Old 11-21-2011, 08:35 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the 3.5L has enough wallop to handle the mass and expectations of a superduty truck.

However, a small displacement V-8 ecoboost could certainly do the job. The ecoboost is no more complicated than our beloved diesels and perhaps not as complicated.

If over the years the 3.5L proves itself to be worthy not only in power but in long term reliability, then I foresee the large N/A gas engines will go bye bye and the diesel guys may have to work a little harder to justify not owning an ecoboost.
I didn't think the Ecoboost had enough wallop for a F150 either. Especially with how much of a pig they've become today. But here they are. And they'll selling like hot cakes.

Gentlemen, we are coming to the end of an era. If you love big gas V8s like I do you then you need to buy one within the next couple of model years. That or you'll be buying used for now on.

Oh, and diesels aren't beloved by everybody.

Quick Reply: Gentlemen, your preferred engine please?