1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How to: Clean EBPS to gain lost MPGs (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rednekrebel28
Ok, my question then. I have my ebpv disconnected at the sensor on the turbo ped. It is still plausible that i've lost roughly 2mpg from a clogged or dirty ebpv even tho i have the sensor disconnected and inoperative. Would it be worth cleaning? Thanks
I have not been able to find any documentation in Ford manuals that says that the EBPS directly controls fuel even without a EBPV, however, it is rumored that the EBPS can affect fuel mapping. So, since its a free easy thing to do, might as well

The EBPS does control more than the EBPV so it should be kept clean anyway.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:54 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
I have not been able to find any documentation in Ford manuals that says that the EBPS directly controls fuel even without a EBPV, however, it is rumored that the EBPS can affect fuel mapping. So, since its a free easy thing to do, might as well

The EBPS does control more than the EBPV so it should be kept clean anyway.
What he said ^^^

I was told by a couple of tuners that the EBPS not only effects the fueling but also the trans shifting by sensing the load on the engine...IDK this but like I said I was told this by a couple of fellas that know a lot more than myself.

Mine was packed solid so I replaced the sensor & cleaned the tube. Afterwards I picked up 2 mpg & it did make a noticeable difference in the trans shifts.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I really the first one to notice the product placement?

Old 11-16-2011, 12:07 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Rose Clifford
Am I really the first one to notice the product placement?
Hahaha are you talking about the Riffraff coffee cup?

Old 11-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Hahaha are you talking about the Riffraff coffee cup?
You know it....I knew something was up when there was a 5 second clip stuck in there.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Originally Posted by rednekrebel28
Ok, my question then. I have my ebpv disconnected at the sensor on the turbo ped. It is still plausible that i've lost roughly 2mpg from a clogged or dirty ebpv even tho i have the sensor disconnected and inoperative. Would it be worth cleaning? Thanks
If you have anything disconnected it the turbo pedestal than you don't have your sensor disconnected you have your solenoid disconnected. So yes it would help to clean it.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Rose Clifford
You know it....I knew something was up when there was a 5 second clip stuck in there.
Well to be quite honest, it's not PAID product placement. Infact Clay has no idea haha. The clip was actually because I LOVE coffee, but I accidentally put it in the wrong place so it looks like product placement lol

Old 11-16-2011, 04:19 PM
diesel-fitter-bum01
Posting Guru
OT Looks like your coolant is low.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:32 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by diesel-fitter-bum01
OT Looks like your coolant is low.
Yeah I have a leak. It's on my list lol

Old 11-16-2011, 04:38 PM
rare_f8
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now I want a Clay coffee cup and it's all your fault.

I installed banks elbow, which deleted the EBPV... all together. I plugged the hole on the manifold and vented the EBPS to atm so that it always reads atm pressure. My mileage in town has been 15 mpg and on the highway.. hilly South Dakota, 18 MPG.

From what I researched before I did it, I lost the link to the EBPS sensor function to programming.

The reason why it defuels on high pressure is due to the exhaust valve being closed making the engine work harder and hotter, which you should see a P0478 code. A lot of people who have had malfunctioning EBPS also note that they were down in power, which makes sense if the exhaust valve directly correlated to it.

And as far as the transmission goes, it still pulls hard before and after. And still shifts like crap as Ford designed it. I been debating on a BTS VB to remedy that.

I been running vent atm for 3/4 of a year with no troubles. Just sharing my experience with this regard. No more soot problems for a system that doesn't exist any more.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:06 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rare_f8
Now I want a Clay coffee cup and it's all your fault.

I installed banks elbow, which deleted the EBPV... all together. I plugged the hole on the manifold and vented the EBPS to atm so that it always reads atm pressure. My mileage in town has been 15 mpg and on the highway.. hilly South Dakota, 18 MPG.

From what I researched before I did it, I lost the link to the EBPS sensor function to programming.

The reason why it defuels on high pressure is due to the exhaust valve being closed making the engine work harder and hotter, which you should see a P0478 code. A lot of people who have had malfunctioning EBPS also note that they were down in power, which makes sense if the exhaust valve directly correlated to it.

And as far as the transmission goes, it still pulls hard before and after. And still shifts like crap as Ford designed it. I been debating on a BTS VB to remedy that.

I been running vent atm for 3/4 of a year with no troubles. Just sharing my experience with this regard. No more soot problems for a system that doesn't exist any more.
So you are saying the EBPS is not needed ?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:37 PM
rare_f8
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cj45lc
So you are saying the EBPS is not needed ?
Yes, it's primary function is give the PCM feedback in order to regulate the throttle valve behind the turbo and uses precaution steps if the exhaust valve were to malfunction. Without the exhaust valve or it being rigged open, there is no need for it.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:38 PM
TC-PStroke
Junior User
Cleaned the EBPS and line today. The sensor was completely plugged and the line doesn't look to be in very good shape either. I cleaned it the best I could and put it back together.

I'm at least going to get the line and replace it. The truck has 179,000 miles on it and I don't think this has ever been cleaned.

Should I just go ahead and replace the sensor while I'm at it?

Old 11-24-2011, 03:14 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by TC-PStroke
Cleaned the EBPS and line today. The sensor was completely plugged and the line doesn't look to be in very good shape either. I cleaned it the best I could and put it back together.

I'm at least going to get the line and replace it. The truck has 179,000 miles on it and I don't think this has ever been cleaned.

Should I just go ahead and replace the sensor while I'm at it?
I would replace the sensor, but that's just me

Old 11-24-2011, 05:54 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

I concur. Replace the sensor if in any doubt.

Quick Reply: How to: Clean EBPS to gain lost MPGs (Video)