Sponsored by:

Oh no, more v/b code questions that need answers

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:45 PM
bigwhitetruck01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh no, more v/b code questions that need answers

First of all, Yes I did a search, hence my confusion. I was able to find some part numbers but no definitive answers to my questions.

Ok, here's my problem: I need to replace the front shocks and springs on my 01 Ex (5.4L 4x4). Pass. side front shock is toast and the driver's side spring makes all kinds of racket when it compresses. What I'm looking for is a firmer ride, slightly higher and more level stance. As it stands the truck seems a bit higher in the back and could use a bit of stiffening up. I know that if I'm going to replace what's there, I may as well upgrade to something that will help get rid of some of the wandering and provide a bit of lift. I'm new to the ford truck world and I don't understand alot of what i've read about spring swaps but I'm not new to vehicle modification so I understand the technical info, just not ford specific jargon (i.e.: v,x,w,b codes). Please correct me at any time but, I've determined that alot of owners are going with an f-series v-code front spring / f-250 shock combo, and b-code spring / f-350 block spacer combo (with Ex shocks). Where I'm most confused regards the options for the rear. Do I necessarily have to add a leaf to the b-code rears or can i just do a direct swap and maintain a basically level stance? If my rear springs are ok, do I even have to replace them at all or can i just swap the stock spacer for the f-350 block and do the shocks? That brings me to U-bolts...it seems that there is some confusion on what to use front and rear. Any takers for that one?

Just for background info, truck has 122k miles, ball joints are brand new, steering components are newer (except for stabilizer), I plan to add a rear sway bar prior to spring/shock replacement (no stock bar right now). I plan to replace the rear shocks when the front shocks are replaced. Most likely going with bilstein 5100's all around.

Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unmodified rear B codes will actually lower your Ex from your stock springs. This is because the Ex spring pack is much thicker and has more leaves. I can't give you any good estimation of how much lower it would be. An inch maybe? Many people modify the B codes by adding a leaf or two from the bottom of the Ex rear springs to the spring pack. I can't remember if it is just the bottom leaf, the bottom two, etc... I'm not sure of all the reasons that people add the 4" factory F350 blocks to the rear, but I believe some people swap in front V codes, rear B codes, then use the 4" F350 block to bring the rear end up and retain the factory rake front to rear.

With V codes added to the front and stock Ex springs in the rear, your Ex will likely sit very close to level, or maybe an inch high or so in the rear (based off my 2.5" higher rear when mine was stock). If you are buying the springs new, you could put them in the front and retain your factory rear springs. This should help with some of the stability problems, as the front factory springs are junk and hit the bumpstops constantly. I have also heard that the problem lies with the rear springs, but at least this way you can see the improvement with just the front springs, and your Ex should sit fairly level. If you want to bring the rear up afterwards, a set of blocks is all you need.

As for U-bolts, they are not intended to be reused after torqued down once. I have reused U-bolts on other vehicles and I know other people who have reused them with no trouble. But I am not encouraging you to reuse them. Regardless of whether you get new U-bolts or reuse your factory U-bolts, always check the torque on them after 100 miles, and every few hundred miles after that for 1,000 miles or so, and then any time the wheels are off or more if you're paranoid like me.

I encourage anyone to correct anything I got wrong here. I was just trying to get the discussion started from what I have gathered (right or wrong) in my reading on this forum.

And one last thing. You really have a four wheel drive Ex with the 5.4L V8? I thought all 4wd Exes had the V10 or 7.3L/6.0L.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
I encourage anyone to correct anything I got wrong here. I was just trying to get the discussion started from what I have gathered (right or wrong) in my reading on this forum.
Okee dokee...here goes!

Unmodified rear B codes will actually lower your Ex from your stock springs.
No, unmodified B code springs will not lower an Excursion when compared to stock springs. No way, no how, aint gonna happen in this universe, or even in the second universe for all you Fringe fans. (Can you tell I'm one? )

People doing the spring mods want to raise the rear-end higher than just what the B codes will provide, because the front springs that are swapped in will raise the front of the Excursion, and "just" B codes can't "keep up" so to speak.

People either use the 3.5" tapered blocks to keep the same front to back stance/rake, or they keep the OEM blocks and modify the B code springs to achieve the approximate same raise in height.

I can't give you any good estimation of how much lower it would be. An inch maybe?
As noted above, it doesn't lower the rear at all.

With V codes added to the front and stock Ex springs in the rear, your Ex will likely sit very close to level, or maybe an inch high or so in the rear
With V codes up front and stock rear springs, the ***-end of his Ex will be lower than the front. While we would all like another inch, ( ) the rear of his Ex will definitely not be an inch higher in the rear.

Stewart

Old 11-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by bigwhitetruck01
What I'm looking for is a firmer ride, slightly higher and more level stance. As it stands the truck seems a bit higher in the back
Do you like the current stance? Is the front to back rake appealing to you, or do you want it as close to level as possible?

Do you tow with it, or intend to tow with it?

just not ford specific jargon (i.e.: v,x,w,b codes).
Here you go. Hope the spacing/formatting works:

Vehicle: Spring Code Spring Capacity

Excursion V8 Cyl B 4100
Excursion V10 Cyl C 4300
Excursion PSD V8 D 4700

F250/350 SuperDuty S 4000
T 4400
U 4800
Camper Package V 5200
Possibly found only on F450 W 5600
Snow Plow package X 6000

As you can see, going from a front spring rating of 4100lbs to a V code with 5200lbs, you're gonna get a bit of a lift. A bit more than the diesel Excursions since your 5.4L weighs a ton less than the PSD's.

Also, don't be confused by the "B" used above for your 8cyl 5.4L Excursion. The above specs are all for front springs. The ones we refer to for the rear...the B codes...are not the ones listed above.

Do I necessarily have to add a leaf to the b-code rears or can i just do a direct swap and maintain a basically level stance?
You'll have to do a modified B code or upgrade the rear blocks to the 3.5" tapered blocks to keep ypur rear-end from being lower than the front.

If my rear springs are ok, do I even have to replace them at all
Yes, you need to replace them.

or can i just swap the stock spacer for the f-350 block and do the shocks?
No, you can't.

Since you have a 5.4L Excursion, using the V's up front will raise the front end a bit higher than other Excursion owners who have V10's or PSD's because your engine is a bit lighter. So you'll need the lift of new B codes plus, either modifying them ("modded B codes"), using the 3.5" tapered blocks, or you can even install the RAS (Roadmaster Active Suspension) if you plan to tow, because the RAS will also lift the rear.

You also wanna replace the rears because you talk about eliminating wander. The rear springs are very prone to axle wrap so upgrading to new B codes help eliminate that.

That brings me to U-bolts...it seems that there is some confusion on what to use front and rear. Any takers for that one?
You'll need replacements for the rear. Modding the rear springs or going with a bigger block will make the old U-bolts useless.

You can reuse the front U-bolts, even though for safety reasons, it's not recommended.

I reused the fronts, and replaced my rears with an old set of take-offs I got from a local 4x4 shop, but it's not recommended you do that.

Hope that helps.

Stewart

Old 11-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Let's try this:

Vehicle:
Excursion 5.4L .......... Spring Code .......... B .......... Spring Capacity .......... 4100lb
Excursion 6.8L .......... Spring Code .......... C .......... Spring Capacity .......... 4300lb
Excursion PSD .......... Spring Code .......... D ........... Spring Capacity .......... 4700lb

F250/350 .................... S .......... 4000lb
.................................. T .......... 4400lb
.................................. U .......... 4800lb
Camper Package .......... V .......... 5200lb
only on F450? ............. W ......... 5600lb
Snow Plow package ...... X .......... 6000lb

Stewart

Old 11-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Forgive me for saying B codes provide less height than V codes. Stewart is right, I installed my Vs and Bs without blocks and noticed the rear was way low. I was getting things mixed up. I can only imagine how hard remembering things will be when I get old.

Stewart: So front V codes only came on F250s with the camper package? That has to be a relatively small number of trucks.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
Forgive me for saying B codes provide less height than V codes.
Hmmm, I'm wondering if you're getting your springs confused.

V codes are for the front. B codes are for the rear. You can't really compare the two, apples to oranges.

However, your first post compared the height of the B codes to the OEM rear springs on the Excursion, which can be done, apples to apples.

Just for the sake of clarity, rear B code springs will raise the rear of the Excursion when compared to the OEM rear springs.

I can only imagine how hard remembering things will be when I get old.
I resemble that remark.

Stewart: So front V codes only came on F250s with the camper package?
I wouldn't say "only."

They are found on the camper package trucks, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were also on other trucks without the camper package.

Stewart

Old 11-14-2011, 05:26 AM
bigwhitetruck01
Senior User
Thanks for the clarification on everything. To answer some of the q's, I do not tow anything but I do haul things in the rear. I would prefer a level stance but I'm not fanatical about it.

So I suppose my game plan is:

1. Install rear sway bar.
2. Replace front springs w/ v-codes
3. Replace front shock w/ f250 spec units
4. Replace rear springs w/ 'unmodded' b-codes
5. Replace rear shocks w/ Ex spec units
6. Replace spacer with f350 3.5" tapered block

Skinsfan, yes I'm sure that I have a 4wd with the v8 gas motor. Maybe its an uncommon combo? It was some kind of utility spec truck because there is a rubber floor, a plug in the roof where a light was likely mounted and it came with a 'pack rat' steel utility box in the rear area. The box is for sale if anyone wants it.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:45 AM
dockrocker
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the clarification on everything. To answer some of the q's, I do not tow anything but I do haul things in the rear. I would prefer a level stance but I'm not fanatical about it.

Skinsfan, yes I'm sure that I have a 4wd with the v8 gas motor. Maybe its an uncommon combo? It was some kind of utility spec truck because there is a rubber floor, a plug in the roof where a light was likely mounted and it came with a 'pack rat' steel utility box in the rear area. The box is for sale if anyone wants it.
That is pretty much my gameplan for my truck as well (2000 Limited V10 4x4). Come spring, she gets a whole new stance...

Old 11-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator

Since you have the 5.4L, I'd go with the V's. The W's will raise the front end more than the V's will regardless of which engine an Excursion has, but since yours is the 5.4L, I think you'll be happy with the V's.

Your game plan above will get you so close to level (with the rear still being slightly higher) that I think you'll like the look.

Stewart

Old 11-14-2011, 03:31 PM
bigwhitetruck01
Senior User
Thanks Stewart. Has anyone nailed down a part number for rear u-bolts that will work with that setup? From what I read in the searches I conducted, there seems to be a bit of controversy on exactly what to use.

My next step is trying to find out if I have any friends with ford dealler hookups in my area. I'd hate to have to pay unnecessary shipping charges on those heavy springs.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Hmmm, I'm wondering if you're getting your springs confused.

V codes are for the front. B codes are for the rear. You can't really compare the two, apples to oranges.
Geez I was having a rough day. I was thinking B codes vs. stock Ex springs, and obviously it came out wrong.

Bigwhitetruck I would think OEM F350 u-bolts would be the correct length since they came with the blocks, and the spring pack thickness, while perhaps different between B codes and whatever a F350 came with, is usually only an inch or so. I imagine Stewart will know for sure though. He is our forum "Exspringspert".

And that is interesting about your truck. It may have been special ordered with the 5.4 either as an emergency response or law enforcement vehicle.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Thanks Stewart. Has anyone nailed down a part number for rear u-bolts that will work with that setup? From what I read in the searches I conducted, there seems to be a bit of controversy on exactly what to use.
I have the info saved somewhere between three different computers.

I'll find it for you.

My next step is trying to find out if I have any friends with ford dealler hookups in my area. I'd hate to have to pay unnecessary shipping charges on those heavy springs.
Tousley Ford Parts Depot

The shipping charges may surprise you.

Stewart

Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Ok, according to my buddy Ed (PartsGuyEd), if you're using B code spring part number 3C3Z5560CB, then you'll wanna use U-Bolt part number N811667S436 (you'll need 4, two for each side) and the part number for the U-Bolt nuts are N620485S56 (you'll need 8, four for each side, two for each U-Bolt).

N811667S436 U-Bolts are 320mm or 12.598 inches long and should work with the B code springs.

I have not verified this info though, so please make sure it's correct before ordering.

If you want, I can post the part numbers for the slightly longer U-Bolts, and you can always cut them to size with a sawzall if you want.

Stewart

Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Just to be clear I understand this, none of the above applies to a 4X2???

Quick Reply: Oh no, more v/b code questions that need answers