Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-Codes, X-Codes, B-Modified...etc. (I need your expertise to answer some questions)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime
Okay folks...
I've been reading threads on spring modifications for a week, and I'm thoroughly confused (easy thing to do - lol).
Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime
RED EX, Airjeff...
Good info!!! Red Ex, that's some of the exact stuff I was looking for!! The more detailed description of the rear spring pack (B code modified) is great!!
Having posted "How To Make a Modified B Code Spring" many times, along with tons of other spring related info, and based on that first quote of yours above, I figured you had already read/sifted through all that info. Had I realized you needed the info at your fingertips, I would have posted my spring info thread link for you immediately.

Steering Wander Compilation Thread and 4x4 Spring Information

Stewart

Old 11-13-2011, 01:29 AM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Awesome bumper, I've never seen one like that. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with scalloped tires (IMO on photo 5).
Thanks. Can't wait to make one for this EX. I really wished I had the off-road lights tonight, coming home from the desert in pitch black. My H13 dual-xenon headlights just weren't enough... even with all 4 HIDs on (low beam, and high beams at once). The up and coming (4) Hella Rally 4000 Pencil beams with 75watt HIDs will pave the way soon enough!! I'll post pictures once it's 100% complete.

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Having posted "How To Make a Modified B Code Spring" many times, along with tons of other spring related info, and based on that first quote of yours above, I figured you had already read/sifted through all that info. Had I realized you needed the info at your fingertips, I would have posted my spring info thread link for you immediately.

Steering Wander Compilation Thread and 4x4 Spring Information

Stewart
Ya, I scanned through that thread... however, like I mentioned in some posts back I'm better off reading the specs on each spring rate to make my best guess decision. The "how to" make a modified B code definitely helps, and is more understandable now with the info I've been given. ...a guy just reading how a modified B code is built... doesn't do squat for him if he doesn't know what a B code is, or what it's benefits are over stock. So all the info put together, in relation to what I'm after helps tremendously. I mean, it's invaluable.

And yes, sometimes a camel has to be standing in the water to "get it".

Old 11-14-2011, 01:44 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Old 11-14-2011, 02:29 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Quick question for the techies...

On my door jam, it claims to have "SPR" as DDGG
... what does that equate to?

Old 11-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just had X codes put on the front with 300lb Ranch Hand front bumper. I just posted it with pics in another thread. I havent put any miles on them yet, but when I do, I will let you know how it goes. Check my thread, "X codes installed", I think I answered a couple of your other questions.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:12 PM
2003 EXCURSION
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, additional question... and perhaps this is best directed at Stewart if he happens to see my post here.

A few years ago, when I first got my Ex, and started researching the spring swap here, I exchanged PM's with a gentleman down in Florida who had basically the same Ex as I, and had done a V and F code spring swap. I believe that he told me at the time that many had been doing the V and B swap, but that in 2005 the F code spring became available and that the use of the F spring in the rear seemed a little better, even without adding the additional leafs, etc... as we do with the modified B code spring pack. I am wondering if there is a reason that most seem to do a modified b code pack now, and that the F is not really talked about much.

Thanks in advance to Stewart, or anyone else who has an answer.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:33 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Honestly, I'd never thought about the difference between the F's and the B's and how they compare to each other.

Probably because there's never been a spring chart created for the rear springs, like has been done with the front springs, most people just stick to what's been tried and true.

I'd bet if someone could determine the specs of the B's and F's, more people (armed with that info) would start opting for F codes.

Stewart

Old 11-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Red Ex
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard of a few using the F's and liking them. I went with B's since they are proven as Stewart indicates. I think they are also a lot easier to find used.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:11 PM
2003 EXCURSION
Tuned
Thanks Stewart and Red Ex for answering. Rep points to Stewart for your thread accumulation on this subject. I have read the most recent 2 or three threads on the subject, but am now going to read everything in the accumulation you posted. That should take a few days!

My plans are to do this in the next two or three months along with either a Helwig sway bar or an original Ford... I really have not decided which yet, and seem to change my mind about once a day. Time frame will depend mostly on money. I will probably go the V and F route since I have all of the Ford part numbers to do this, including U-bolts, nuts, etc... We'll have to find someone near me eventually who has done the V and B swap and compare rides, it would be interesting. The gentleman that I got my information and part numbers from said that the V and F code springs raised his front end about 2" and his rear end about 1". He went with the Helwig bar, as most do, and Rancho RS9000x shocks. He said that this improved the ride tremendously, and the wandering was almost completely eliminated.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:55 AM
bigwhitetruck01
Senior User
2003 EXCURSION, can you post the part number for the F-code rear springs? I'm probably going the V/B route but it would be nice for people to be able to explore other options.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:38 PM
2003 EXCURSION
Tuned
Originally Posted by bigwhitetruck01
2003 EXCURSION, can you post the part number for the F-code rear springs? I'm probably going the V/B route but it would be nice for people to be able to explore other options.
Bigwhite - Here we go... I am almost certain at this point that I will go with the unmodified F codes, but I am still researching and reading a bit. Below are the part numbers for the F code springs, the associated U-bolts, and the nuts. I think that am giving you the correct part number for the U-bolts and nuts, but I have all of the parts listed for the front V-codes on the same sheet, so if someone finds that I have listed the U-bolts for the V's here, then let me know and I will correct it.

6C3Z-5560-F (these are the F-code springs, you will need 2)
F81Z-5705-ZA (these are the U-bolts for the F-code springs, you will need 4)
N805480-5426 (these are the adjusting nuts, you will need 8)

Old 11-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 2003 EXCURSION
6C3G-5560-F (these are the F-code springs, you will need 2)
Can you double check and confirm this part number. I plugged the number in at Tousley Ford parts and it doesn't show as a good number.

Stewart

Old 11-26-2011, 04:02 PM
2003 EXCURSION
Tuned
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Can you double check and confirm this part number. I plugged the number in at Tousley Ford parts and it doesn't show as a good number.

Stewart
Woops... Good catch! Thanks! Corrected is 6C3Z-5560-F. And I thought I was being pretty careful. The rest are correct, I think.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:20 PM
carnochanm
Junior User
Can one of you guys check this part# for me and let me know what it is? This stamped on the front spring on my Ex 3C34AFA RPN3503. I have tried searching with no exact match. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:38 PM
2003 EXCURSION
Tuned
Originally Posted by carnochanm
Can one of you guys check this part# for me and let me know what it is? This stamped on the front spring on my Ex 3C34AFA RPN3503. I have tried searching with no exact match. Thanks for any help.
Somebody on here may correct me, but I am not sure that you can reference the number stamped on the spring. I have tried this before, looking for a slightly used set of the correct springs, and what I found at the time was that the number stamped on the spring, if there is one, has nothing to do with the actual Ford part number of that spring, and no one has cross reference data to check it and tell what it actually is.... except maybe Ford motor company. I don't even think the guys at the Ford dealer parts counter can do anything with that number. Kind of a bummer!

Quick Reply: V-Codes, X-Codes, B-Modified...etc. (I need your expertise to answer some questions)