1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F350 ESOF Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Testament
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F350 ESOF Trouble

Hi guys, I have researched my problem to death just reaching out for someone that might have a similar issue. 2008 F350 when I switch the 4x4 to 4 Hi or low the cluster light doesnt indicate it has switched into 4x4 probably 50% of the time it works 50 it doesnt! I have pulled the transfer case shift motor off tested and working installed a new 4x4 switch, checked the relays it has been to Ford two times last week and once they pulled an error code that says (switch, 4x4 module or wiring problem)! Ford did reprogram the 4x4 module just to see if it would fix it and no change all this leads me to believe its the 4x4 module!? Any help would be great! I really dont want to have ford chase wiring problems at $110/hr!?
Thanks very much.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:08 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
IIRC, the light is controlled by a switch inside of the shift motor.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Testament
New User
Originally Posted by redford
IIRC, the light is controlled by a switch inside of the shift motor.
Thanks I understand how it works, just looking for someone with a similar problem and their remedy or at least what worked for them!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Do you know what the code was? When the light doesn't come on, does the transfer case actually shift or doesn't it?

I sounds like you have a loose wire or an intermittent short. If the transfer case is not actually shifting then it is probably at the relay box or at the shift motor. If the transfer case is shifting, then it's the wire between the 4WD control module and the cluster. If that exists on a 2008, a lot of stuff changed that year.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Testament
New User
Thanks for the reply the way Ford explained it to me is when the shift motor moves the lever in the shift motor housing it engages the switch to turn on the cluster light so no its not making the shift. Also what I think I have learned is when it wont shift into 4x4, if I leave the switch in the '4x4 setting' shut the truck off and restart it..it makes the shift most times not always! That would lead me to believe its not wiring more likely the GEM computer. Im off to town today Im hoping its going to act up in town so I can swing by Ford and they can pull more codes seems every time I take it in its working. I need this truck working ASAP I pull a bobcat around for snow removal and we could have snow any day now! :/

Old 11-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Testament
New User
Hi guys a managed a quick video of my problem its on YouTube I hope I can post this mods!? Watch the 4x4 light in the cluster it seems to not be switching out of 4x4 just the light flickers but sometimes it wont shift into 4x4 at all so its not just a bulb Im thinking its the 4x4 module I did switch out the shift motor and no change! Any help would be great.

Ford 4x4 Trouble - YouTube

Old 11-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Testament
New User
update

Not sure if anyone was watching this thread or not but a quick update I got my truck back from Ford today for the fourth time..lol I was informed that they put a new transfer case in and shift motor and that a long test drive in the snow appeared to have fixed the problem..I left out that the same mechanic got the truck stuck in the snow 10 days ago because he couldn't get it in 4x4! Well I didn't try the 4x4 today after picking the truck up because I assumed that all they did would have fixed it, I pull in my driveway flick it into 4x4 and nothing...lol F%^%***& !!!!! Long story short the truck is back at ford and they have rented me a budget truck and hopefully the only thing left is wiring harness and 4x4 module which it has to be one of these!! I'm not knocking Ford and am confident they will fix it just how frigging much is it going to take. Find out soon!

Old 11-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts
Sounds like a real pain Testament. Hopefully it will get fixed before your stealership replaces everyrthing on and under the truck.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Testament
New User
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
Sounds like a real pain Testament. Hopefully it will get fixed before your stealership replaces everyrthing on and under the truck.
Ya thanks man at least the t-case is warranty, electrical is not covered though and Ford is actually pretty cool about it so far it is super frustrating as Im a bit of a mechanic myself and have no idea whats going on Im hoping its the 4x4 module.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:55 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Why did the dash blink at around the 8 sec mark at the odometer area? I only saw it once but thought that was odd.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Testament
New User
Originally Posted by carltonwebb
Why did the dash blink at around the 8 sec mark at the odometer area? I only saw it once but thought that was odd.
Actually if you watch the vid closely the 4x4 orange indicator flickers several times during the course of the video and it is in 4x4 the entire time!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:49 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw that too...But wondered was the dash flicker something related to your issue. I did not look at schematic yet but wonder if your instrument cluster is bad. I think it is its own individual module/computer. Is there anything else funky going on with the cluster that you have noticed?

Basically, the light is going crazy but the system is working as it should? Is that correct?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Testament
New User
Originally Posted by carltonwebb
I saw that too...But wondered was the dash flicker something related to your issue. I did not look at schematic yet but wonder if your instrument cluster is bad. I think it is its own individual module/computer. Is there anything else funky going on with the cluster that you have noticed?

Basically, the light is going crazy but the system is working as it should? Is that correct?
No its not making the shift into 4x4 its a weird problem Ford has called me today and say it is that 4x4 module so sounds like they have it figured out! We will see here pretty quick!

Old 11-30-2011, 05:14 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Why isn't your speedo moving?

I saw the center display flicker at about the 13-14sec mark. Hope the new module corrects the 4wd issue, those are a pain to track down, as you're experiencing...

Old 11-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Testament
New User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Why isn't your speedo moving?

I saw the center display flicker at about the 13-14sec mark. Hope the new module corrects the 4wd issue, those are a pain to track down, as you're experiencing...
Nope Ford called today and the new module worked in the shop they took it for a test drive and it wouldn't work, so I don't know whats left!? The speedo isnt moving because I was just rolling around on my driveway with the truck in 4x4 to see if it was a wiring rubbing causing it to go in and out which is what it seems to be but I think with the pin point tests they can easily eliminate wiring shorts unless it was a intermittent short while its moving!?

Quick Reply: F350 ESOF Trouble