1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help I'm stuck in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:19 PM
bboone52
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help I'm stuck in 4wd

I am stuck in 4wd low. The lights do not come on on the dash. I am stuck out in the country with no money and really no easy help. Nearest mechanic I know is 50 miles away. It looks like the switch to engage the 4wd is electric and at the transfer case for the front gear box. Has an electric motor. Is there anyway to disengage this?

Old 04-29-2011, 12:54 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
This is the second time today... Copy and paste...

First off, in order to go in and out of low range you have to have the transmission in neutral and your foot on the brake. I have found sometimes that a little bit of motion is also required, which is difficult because you have to get rolling, then put it in neutral, apply enough brake to activate the brake switch without stopping and then turn the 4WD **** out of low to 4 high.

If you're doing all of this and it still isn't working, you may have a bad relay. On the drivers side firewall under the hood are some relay boxes. One of the boxes will have two identical relays with nothing else. It is wrapped from the factory with black fabric electrical tape.

One of the relays is for moving the shift motor from 2WD to 4WD to 4Low. The other relay is for moving it from 4Low to 4WD to 2WD. Inspect the relays for corrosion, the switch their positions. If you can get out of 4WD now, then one of the relays is bad. You can get them from Ford for about $20 each. If this works I suggest replacing both of them.

P.S. In an absolute emergency, remove the shift motor from the transfer case and turn the shaft with a wrench. Just be careful not to bugger up the shaft.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:24 PM
bboone52
Freshman User
First for me. Thank you very much.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:38 PM
bboone52
Freshman User
Free at last-thanks

rolling back in neutral worked. Thank you

Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 AM
bdruff
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 ford f250

Sounds like this might help.

Mine is a 1998 f250 and its stuck in four low. I'm sure I know how to put it in and out of four wheel drive so its some kind of mechanical malfunction.

There are two small connectors on the passenger side firewall that have vacume lines attatched. Two vacume lines are on each connector. Only 1 of the vacume lines on each connector have suction.

There is also an electric plug with two wires on each connector. The tops of the connectors have what feel like caps but they are not on tight. There is some play with them.

On the transfer case, there are also two vacume lines attached to a diaphram. The diaphram has an arm that is attatched to a lever. One of the vacume lines has suction, the other does not. When I disconnect the vacume line with suction, the lever moves but does not come out of four wheel drive. When I connect it to the other side, it stays in four low.

Thanks for the help

First off, in order to go in and out of low range you have to have the transmission in neutral and your foot on the brake. I have found sometimes that a little bit of motion is also required, which is difficult because you have to get rolling, then put it in neutral, apply enough brake to activate the brake switch without stopping and then turn the 4WD **** out of low to 4 high.

If you're doing all of this and it still isn't working, you may have a bad relay. On the drivers side firewall under the hood are some relay boxes. One of the boxes will have two identical relays with nothing else. It is wrapped from the factory with black fabric electrical tape.

One of the relays is for moving the shift motor from 2WD to 4WD to 4Low. The other relay is for moving it from 4Low to 4WD to 2WD. Inspect the relays for corrosion, the switch their positions. If you can get out of 4WD now, then one of the relays is bad. You can get them from Ford for about $20 each. If this works I suggest replacing both of them.

P.S. In an absolute emergency, remove the shift motor from the transfer case and turn the shaft with a wrench. Just be careful not to bugger up the shaft.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-09-2011, 08:42 AM
bdruff
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
still stuck

Well its been about a month since we worked on our truck but we're still stuck.

I would like to find a diagram of the vacuum lines, especially behind the dash.

Also, is there a way to test the relays? We didn't have any luck switching the lines.

When we are under the truck and remove the vacuum lines from the actuator on the transfer case, it moves a little but doesn't disengage.

Any help would be appreciated. We searched and found some info but still lost.