6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Exhaust Fluid System Fault Message

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:01 PM
jraeol
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Fluid System Fault

Just finished at dealer. Our truck was built in July 2012 so supposedly the TSB computer update does not apply. They were able to clear the fault message and say they think it was contamination? He gave no guarantees that it won't happen again. We still do have a problem in that our "Trip A" no longer works, it still has the orange outline of the original fault message, (message is cleared but outline is still visible) showing up. No miles, info, etc show up, they now read zeros. Trip B is still working. Not sure what this is all about!!

Old 01-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Axledoc
New User
Happy New Year???
I went to leave this morning for work and got the "Exhaust Fluid System Fault" message. Mine has 16,000mi. on it and it was new w/200 mi. on it 3 months ago. I pull a 6 x 12 ft. enclosed trl with welder and tools in it and the trailer is right at 5,000 lbs. This truck has been amazing for the last 3 mos. I sure hope this is not a sign of how the new year is going to be. It looks like from some of the research I have done here that the repair is just to clear the fault?
Is that true?
Gosh I hope not, I drive 200 - 400 miles a day to work on axles and there`s not always a dealer around.
Course the dealer is closed today new years day, but I will be there in the am and will post what happens.

Steve

Old 01-01-2013, 04:03 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you review this
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12595269

Oh and welcome to FTE

Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 PM
vermilian
Senior User
Originally Posted by glsurratt
Could settle for a Ram. Their pickups don't use DEF, but the cab 'n chassis have it.

...while your correct in saying their new Chassis Cabs have the DEF system, the new 2013 Ram HDs have them as well now. All three manufactures have them on their Diesels for 2013

Old 01-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Axledoc
New User
Originally Posted by DRRXR
Did you review this
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12595269

Oh and welcome to FTE
Yes and thank you

Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 AM
jraeol
New User
Originally Posted by Axledoc
Happy New Year???
I went to leave this morning for work and got the "Exhaust Fluid System Fault" message. Mine has 16,000mi. on it and it was new w/200 mi. on it 3 months ago. I pull a 6 x 12 ft. enclosed trl with welder and tools in it and the trailer is right at 5,000 lbs. This truck has been amazing for the last 3 mos. I sure hope this is not a sign of how the new year is going to be. It looks like from some of the research I have done here that the repair is just to clear the fault?
Is that true?
Gosh I hope not, I drive 200 - 400 miles a day to work on axles and there`s not always a dealer around.
Course the dealer is closed today new years day, but I will be there in the am and will post what happens.

Steve
The dealer did clear the message and it has been running good for the past 1000 miles. The truck has not went back into the "clean" mode as of yet. We'll see what happens when it does...... Also when original message came up, the screen was on the "Trip A" mode, that screen and the Trip A have not worked since. Appointment at dealer again tomorrow.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Axledoc
New User
Arrived at the dealer at 7am this morning and mentioned I had a "Exhaust Fluid System fault" They said their diesel guy comes in at 8am and within 15 minutes of him getting there, he himself came to the waiting room to tell me he had to flash the PCM with new software and the problem should go away. My warranty invoice does show TSB 12-6-5. The tech that worked on my trk has 25 yrs. exp and did a great job.
I ended up out of there within a couple hours. I am a Happy Ford Guy today.

I am thankful for this forum. It put my mind a little at ease to be able to look around here and see this was probably not going to be a big deal. So Thank You

Old 09-28-2014, 10:27 PM
Broom27
New User
Cool Exhaust Fluid System Fault

I have a 2014 Ford F250 with the 6.7L Diesel with only 2,800 miles on it. Bought the truck brand new about 2 months ago. The message pops up saying 50 miles till 50mph. I addded 2.5 gallons of def fluid and the message is still there. I know it had plenty of def fluid to begin with buy not sure whats going on. Not a happy camper consdering I have been a Chevy man my whole life and decided to change to ford. Not happy paying right at $60k and this new of truck and already having to cary to shop. Any ideas whats going on?

Old 09-28-2014, 10:37 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
If the 2 1/2 gallons didn't fill it, you may want to add more to see if it will clear. Also, there are several who have reported that it takes a couple of drive cycles/miles to get the message to reset. Mine didn't start the countdown to idle, but after I got the 500 miles to empty warning, I refilled with right at 5 gallons and it took about 10 miles for the message to reset afterward. Obviously, there is also the possibility that you have a sensor issue that will require service. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:58 PM
Broom27
New User
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
If the 2 1/2 gallons didn't fill it, you may want to add more to see if it will clear. Also, there are several who have reported that it takes a couple of drive cycles/miles to get the message to reset. Mine didn't start the countdown to idle, but after I got the 500 miles to empty warning, I refilled with right at 5 gallons and it took about 10 miles for the message to reset afterward. Obviously, there is also the possibility that you have a sensor issue that will require service. Good luck.
. That's just it to me. I never did get a chime saying that it was due 500 miles. All it ever said was under 1/2 full. I have seen where a lot of people have has there's flashed but was hoping that was only for the 11 and 12 models.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:00 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
There have been a few cases where the tank sensors are bad, and there have been a few cases where a reflash was needed. I'm no expert by any means and I think you should've gotten the 500 mile warning about 450 miles ago, but I would top off the tank first (not to the point of overflowing) and then take it in if still needed - just to rule that out.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:12 AM
BCM
More Turbo

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd use those 50 miles to creep to your dealer if he's within range.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I would not fill it again. Rather take it in when the message shows up again.

Show them your receipt where you purchase and topped it off.

I have had zero issues with mine.

I always let it get down to about 300 miles and then fill it completely full.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Scott, if the message is gone, I would completely agree. I meant that if the message is still there, what he has added so far may not have been enough to reach the next sensor sufficiently, and adding a bit more could clear it. I would be embarrassed if all the dealer did to clear that message on mine was add more fluid, so I would rule that out first, but that's just me. I have also had zero issues with the DEF sensors, but several owners have.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:05 PM
Rick Fink
New User
DEF problems

I hate to tell everyone that is having the DEF problems,but wait until you pass the 50000 mark,,the problems get worse and more expensive, ,,
Originally Posted by brightideaselectric
Spent just over 2 hrs at the dealership. They followed Ford's guidelines for the problem which consisted of clearing the code, removing the def injector and running the pump to measure the amount of fluid coming out, drive the truck for 20 miles after injector was reinstalled and code was cleared.

Why do I have the feeling that this is not the last of this issue that I am going to see. No parts replaced just pretty much cleared the code. I just hope it doesn't happen again when I am a couple of hundred or more miles from home!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Fluid System Fault Message