RV (travel trailer) transport

Old 11-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink RV (travel trailer) transport

We're looking at FINALLY purchasing a NEW TT and it will be built in Elkhart, Indiana.
Elkhart is about 1150 miles from our home in Florida.
"our" dealer is about 100 miles west of us-)we are on the east coast, they on the west coast)
They are trying to tack on $2010.00 for transport-I know GOOD AND WELL the transport company AND ITS DRIVER will only get about 1/2 of this AT BEST-so the dealer that has been screwing me around for 4 months now is trying to make a buck off of the darn transportation!!
I have asked that I be able to go and get our BRAND NEW unit myself, the dealer says "NO" because of some "LP GAS INSPECTION"-something like that-we had also inquired at anouther dealer on the same trailer and they said "NO" because of "Insurance regulations"
I know that there (were, at least about a dozen transport companies out there in Indiana) that were transporting various trailers all over the country-(I even looked into doing this to support myself until I found out that even roughing it on the road that a person couldn't do it because of all the dead-heading, NON PAID miles) I NEVER heard of any regulations like this before.
I would think that PROVIDED the unit was 100% paid in full and someone put the unit OUTSIDE of COMPANY property and released it to me that I could in fact pick up my own darn trailer and bring it home.
I have figured my trucks projected mpg both empty and towing the nearly 8300# trailer and it will cost me about $750.00 in fuel for the round trip, a couple of bucks more for couple of nights in a cheap motel and some food, I CAN pick up my own unit for about 1/2 of what "our" dealer wants to charge, AND have piece of mind that it was under my care from the start, and NOT just anouther transporter trying to make a buck.
Am I missing something here?

Old 11-03-2011, 03:38 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 980 Posts
Have you tried contacting the Manufacturer directly? Bypass the local dealer! I know there are RV manufacturers that sell directly to the public and you CAN go to them and pick it up yourself.....I think they put on a temp tag to get it "home". Look in the back of any RV mag...Trailer Life or the like. Or Google RV manufacturers.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

I thought of that but really wasn't sure how to do it.
The unit in question is made by Forest River's Sierra division......wonder if they'd sell to me direct?? wholesale, pay them CASH and pick it up when its done??

Old 11-03-2011, 04:25 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab
I thought of that but really wasn't sure how to do it.
The unit in question is made by Forest River's Sierra division......wonder if they'd sell to me direct?? wholesale, pay them CASH and pick it up when its done??
I don't think there is a chance the manufacturer will sell to you directly. Only the smallest ones without dealer networks do. Pretty easy to understand why. At times, some manufacturers allow factory pick-up, but a dealer at some level, even if only on the Internet, has to handle the sale and even that is no common.

Have you actually called transporters to see what the real cost is? If you need a number, I can give you the number of the transporter we use. No tie to us, we just use him to haul back from repo auctions. I am sure there is a genuine liability issue for the dealer in terms of who hauls it back as it seems like every time I turn around there is some kind of liability with everything having to do with RVs.

Steve

Old 11-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Steve, Please give me your guys number, I'll call him and see what he'll charge.....is he out in Elkhart often? if he has the credentials may be I could pay him to just bring out my trailer so I can take it home myself. Thanks!-Rick

Old 11-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Steve, Please give me your guy's number & I'll call him and ask what he's charge.
There has got to be a way for me to save $1k or more on the transportation!
I think its dirty pool for a LARGE dealer to mark up the transportation so they end up with more $$ in their pocket.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:03 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Supercab
Steve, Please give me your guy's number & I'll call him and ask what he's charge.
There has got to be a way for me to save $1k or more on the transportation!
I think its dirty pool for a LARGE dealer to mark up the transportation so they end up with more $$ in their pocket.
With one of the dealers I currently buy with we use a transporter named Trevor (that's his name) and he hauls all over the country. His number is (PM me for this) and he may well have more than one truck hauling for him. I usually just see them on the lot when they bring one in and have absolutely no direct tie to them other than we use them and they have proven to be reliable for us.

I might be helpful to simply get a price so you know if you are being taken advantage of. I know when we sell on eBay, if someone wants something delivered, all we do is give them a number and after that it is up to them to work out the details, so I have no idea what the charge would be for an owner. You can also locate other transporter I am sure online.

Good luck,

Steve

Last edited by RV_Tech; 11-03-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: pulled phone number out thinking it would be better to give it in private message.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:40 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
I know for a fact that with a certain high end motorhome manufacturer it was common practice to pick up the unit at the factory. You moved "into" the unit at their facility and verified all systems were working as designed. You were encouraged to test drive the unit and only when you were satisfied with the unit did you 'hit the road'

Old 11-03-2011, 06:32 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by raytasch
I know for a fact that with a certain high end motorhome manufacturer it was common practice to pick up the unit at the factory. You moved "into" the unit at their facility and verified all systems were working as designed. You were encouraged to test drive the unit and only when you were satisfied with the unit did you 'hit the road'
Totally agree, but not sold directly to the customer. Just picked up at the manufacturer and some are willing to do this, but most are not. The only way to know is to contact them directly. No one is buying wholesale direct from the manufacturer.

Steve

Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 PM
loganworks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to avoid the transportation cost, why not check into purchasing the trailer form a dealer close to the manufacturer? There are several in Elkhart.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:54 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

I'm trying that route as well, can't seem to find a dealer there that sells Forest River Sierra TTs anyone know of one?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest, the transportation cost is under $2.00 a mile. With the cost of fuel, fuel & mileage taxes, insurance's, equipment, wages, a night in a motel and hopefully a bit of profit, I don't think the transporter is making a whole bunch of money.

Transportation whether it's a semi truck or smaller isn't a huge money maker for an independent owner or small company. I was in the trucking business for over 20 yrs and know how expensive it was. 20 yrs later it's likely even tougher!

Old 11-04-2011, 07:18 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mistakenID
To be honest, the transportation cost is under $2.00 a mile. With the cost of fuel, fuel & mileage taxes, insurance's, equipment, wages, a night in a motel and hopefully a bit of profit, I don't think the transporter is making a whole bunch of money.

Transportation whether it's a semi truck or smaller isn't a huge money maker for an independent owner or small company. I was in the trucking business for over 20 yrs and know how expensive it was. 20 yrs later it's likely even tougher!
The actual cost for me to run my service truck within a 100 mile radius works out to over a dollar a mile and that is without motel rates, etc. so I agree this does not qualify as a huge money maker.

Steve

Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

My dealer is trying to charge me $2010. for transport about 1150 miles.
I can make this run very comfortably for right at $1k round trip.
IF I knew for sure that the transport company was getting all $2010 of it I'd be a little happier.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:29 PM
CougarXR02
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell them you'd be happy to pay that price and ask the name of the hauler so you can write the bank check out to them directly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RV (travel trailer) transport