Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Does anybody regret buying the 6.2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the 6.2l a big block? I still think its based on the modular engine block... Maybe im wrong.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:10 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best thing about driving a big block everyday is carrying on the tradition of American vehicles (and the raw brute power that no modern engine can match). The days of the full size big V8 car are over and with the coming MPG standards the big engine gas pickups are an endangered species. I'll keep carrying the torch that America lit so many years ago. Y'all go save some gas.

Lets not get off topic. This is my fault we have gone as far as we have. Bigger is not always better BUT(!) there is no replacement for displacement. That's why there are so many big inch small blocks in the hot rod community now. Comparing the engines at hand, the Ecoboost and the 6.2, we find a small engine with artificial displacement in the form of a turbo. There is a wonderful turbo rush at the top end plus when the engine is loaded up, say pulling a load up a grade, there is a nice lineal spike in HP and torque. But asking this small of an engine to do the things that it is rated for is asking for trouble. The 6.2 on the other hand is "always on" as stated before. It doesn't have to work as hard or rely on boost to bring on the power. There is no turbo lag, there is no waiting for the trans to find the right gear for torque multiplication and it doesn't have to turn the RPMs a smaller motor does (re: it should last longer). The only down side is that it uses a little more gas to do this. These are the same things that the muscle car guys and ricer guys have argued about for years. The Ecoboost is a jewel of a motor and, as a Ford man, I hope the best for it and its owners. But my money has spoken. If I can't get a big V8 in a truck then I won't buy a new truck.

Oh and what is this blasphemy you have spoken? A 8.1 Chevy? I've driven them. I'm not impressed. But if you want to see impressive, wait until I stroke my 460 to a tow spec 521.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:17 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD
Is the 6.2l a big block? I still think its based on the modular engine block... Maybe im wrong.
I would consider it a big block. Yes it is based on the MOD motors but every dimension, including the block, has been enlarged. Kind of like you could say that the 385 series motors are enlarged Boss 302s. These are completely different motors but if set side by side and tore down the big blocks looks like the boss's big brother. Same if you compare a 5.4 2V to the 6.2. Big block maybe a loose term to use but I'm using it.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Scorpion67
Elder User
I don't like the 8.1 either. Seems to take a while to build the revs up, and it redlines at 4500. I prefer my 5.4. As for the EcoBoost, I didn't think there was any noticeable lag, certainly no shortage of power or torque down low either. I would like to see what an EcoBoost version of the 5.0 could do.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:38 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
I would like to see what an EcoBoost version of the 5.0 could do.
You shouldn't have to wait too long. Word on the street is the next generation GT500 will be a DI, turbo 5.0. But this is

Old 11-07-2011, 11:56 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
So the best thing about owning a big block is being able to tell people you have a big block? So if I am the type of person that doesn't care what other people think, a big block is not for me? If I am that kind of person, then save some money and buy a used Chevy 8.1? Because bigger is always better.
There are some of us big block guys and some aren’t. I'm not a big block guy either but there's more to it than just being able to brag about how big your block is. lol! Back in the original 50's and 70's Muscle Car days I stayed away from the big block mainly because of the weight differences. My first was a ‘70 302 Boss that did mid to high 13’s quarter-mile off of the showroom floor and that was saying something back then. At the local drag strip my 4 speed Boss 302 was in the same class as the 396ci, turbo-hydramatic Chevelle. I could beat the Chevelle but it took every thing my Mustang had to do it and I had better not miss a gear. It mostly about weight differences.

The best thing about owning a big block or small block is because that what you like. Bragging rights has nothing to do with the size of your, ah, ah ..... motor.

Having said all of that. My 429 SCJ Cobra Torino would absolutely eat my Mustang alive on the drag-strip.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:20 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Originally Posted by shortride

Old 11-07-2011, 12:44 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jokerforever
Thought you might want to see under the hood.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:48 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
You were right sir!

Old 11-07-2011, 01:59 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Originally Posted by BMWBig6
  • Definitely the "hot rod" motor, sublime character that gets your heart racing and juices flowing
  • Makes nice noises, throaty growl, but still composed while cruising (little cabin drone)
  • Seemed more responsive to throttle input, and urgency was more immediate, but curse Ford for dialing back the tune on this motor at WOT in lower gears--this thing would be a beast (and probably twist metal) if left completely uncorked at WOT
  • Not as smooth at idle (lumpier and felt more vibrations at stoplights)
  • Every drive was accompanied by a sense of occasion, and would make even short trips to the convenience store seem more special.
  • 10.5 MPG on test drive loop

Ecoboost
  • Smooth, refined, understated
  • Not much personality (almost to a fault?), but will move out smartly with little drama when poked
  • A little lag at throttle tip-in, and on double-downshift (but that could be due to different trans programming)
  • Silent at idle and very quiet when driving in a civil manner around town
  • Would be my choice for a calm, composed road trip or when you have screaming kids in the backseat and just need to get from point A to point B in autopilot with as little drama as possible--the Ecoboost is soothing and relaxing when unprovoked.
  • 10.6 mpg on my test drive loop
I really thought the turbocharged Ecoboost would seem like the more tightly-wound, frenetic motor that had to strain to keep up, but it really seemed effortless, calm, and composed in executing the same tasks. On the contrary, I felt like the 6.2 was a lot more fun to drive

I'm honestly still not sure which motor I prefer more. My heart is in love with the 6.2, as it reminds me of my Lightnings and pushes all the right emotional buttons and feels alive behind the wheel.

But the Ecoboost appeals to my mind, for its more modern technology and sensible compromise between performance and efficiency. I just think the Ecoboost offers a colder, more anesthetized experience. I have no doubt that the Ecoboost can give the 6.2 a run for its money in stock form (especially if both have 3.73 gears), and an aftermarket tune could probably really "wake up" this motor.

The thing about the 6.2 is that it's always "on" (turned all the way up to 11?), while the Ecoboost is just cruising along unless you ask it (twice?) for more oomph (at which time it does deliver).

I just wonder if living with the 6.2 every day (note, this will NOT be my daily driver but could be someday) will get old, since you can't turn the 6.2 "off."

Okay, I really do want to help you make the best decision here. We got a little side tracked. That will happen on this site when we start talking about something as polarizing as engines (you should start a thread about tires). I did some highlighting and editing of your post. I tried not to take anything out of context but I needed to organize my own points.

So, you now know that the 6.2 is an emotion driven motor. Some of your comments were:<O
sublime character that gets your heart racing and juices flowing<O
Makes nice noises, throaty growl<O
urgency was more immediate<O
Every drive was accompanied by a sense of occasion<O
I felt like the 6.2 was a lot more fun to drive <O
My heart is in love with the 6.2<O
pushes all the right emotional buttons and feels alive behind the wheel<O
<O
With exhaust note alone this engine will take you to a time when performance was king. The days of 7 liters, of the 390, 428 and the great 427. The days of Cobra Jets, Thunder Jets, and GT500s. The days of light weight Galaxies, Thunderbolts, and Carroll Shelby. It is a motor for the few that can appreciate it. But if you're not an enthusiast you're not going to appreciate it. If you don't want every trip to the store to be special, if you don't want to hear a little exhaust at highway speeds, if you don't want to honor the heritage of FoMoCo then this engine isn't for you. But if you want these things, if you want to be one of the last men standing and yelling to the world that you know what power is and you like it then the decision in obvious.<O

The Ecoboost; you said it yourself:<O
Not much personality <O
A little lag <O
Silent at idle <O
seemed effortless, calm, and composed
<Osensible compromise between performance and efficiency
<Othe Ecoboost is just cruising along unless you ask it (twice?) <O
<O
And the best description of an Ecoboost I've heard to date:<O
the Ecoboost offers a colder, more anesthetized experience<O
</O
Do I need to say anything else about this motor?<O

I've been watching both these engines closely. The Ecoboost is mostly at its limit in factory trim. There has been some that have souped up the Tarsus version and have had disastrous results. Plus there is a carbon build up in the intake issue that is starting to show up on some of the higher mileage engines. Ford also released a TSB to dealers to really scrutinize these engines for aftermarket parts/tunes and some people have run into warranty issue because of this. <O

The 6.2 has a lot left in it. The SVT guys have race spec Raptors pushing 600+ HP while still using the stock long block. There are a couple superchargers and turbo kits on the market already and if you visit down in the 6.2 forum on this site you'll find the sponsor can give you a tune to wake up these "sleeping" beasts. <O

This is a decision you and you alone have to make. The Ecoboost is more practical but it doesn't stir the soul like the big V8 does. There is aftermarket support for the 6.2, hell, we're almost encouraged to upgrade it. The Ecoboost has little out there and you risk losing you warranty for things as simple as an intake and exhaust. The 6.2 is going to gulp gas like it's going out of style but the Ecoboost can get easy 20s unloaded at the speed limit. I'll just leave you with what I said in my first post<O

I doubt you're going to get very many people saying that they have regrets about buying a 6.2 half ton. The other three motors, maybe, but this engine was made for enthusiasts and those that buy it know what they're getting.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:37 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
The SVT guys have race spec Raptors pushing 600+ HP while still using the stock long block. There are a couple superchargers and turbo kits on the market already and if you visit down in the 6.2 forum on this site you'll find the sponsor can give you a tune to wake up these "sleeping" beasts. <O
I especially like this part of your post.

I have become more practical in my old age but I do remember and reminisce about the big block muscle cars I've driven and you are absolutely correct. I loved my Boss 302 but there was nothing that could compared to letting it all hang out with my big block 426 SCJ Cobra Torino.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
6.2 vs ecoboost - YouTube

(camera is in the 6.2 truck)

I'm not sure why any EcoBoost (or 5.0) owner would want the 6.2, a comparative gas hog with minimal real world power advantage. Both the 5.0 and EcoBoost are blatantly underrated, somehow I don't think the 6.2's 411 horses are conservative ones.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Arctic Fox
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big Bad
6.2 vs ecoboost - YouTube

(camera is in the 6.2 truck)

I'm not sure why any EcoBoost (or 5.0) owner would want the 6.2, a comparative gas hog with minimal real world power advantage. Both the 5.0 and EcoBoost are blatantly underrated, somehow I don't think the 6.2's 411 horses are conservative ones.
the shifting does not sound like the 6.2...but what the hell do I know, I just own one...

Old 11-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
I would have been more impressed with the 6.2 if it has similar HP/TQ per liter as the 5.0, which would put it around 450 HP / 470 lb-ft. Don't get me wrong, I like big engines, but I think I would prefer to have that fix in a weekend sports car.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 PM
ham77
Freshman User
I like the 6.2, but I saw it for what it is...the "Bismark"...like the USS Reagan...too much, too late, done very well for a time that has passed.

The reason you see the Ecoboost results all over the map is because it is a thinking man's engine...think you want to hyper mile...hello 22 mpg, think you want to be a normal American hello 18 -19 mpg, think you are a boy racer hello 16-18. Think you have to tow the world...hello 12-14 mpg. Hello you are an idiot...who knows.

Thank God Ford let smart truck owners have a chance.

Last edited by LxMan1; 11-12-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: removed insult after infracting

Quick Reply: Does anybody regret buying the 6.2?