Sponsored by: Moser

Does anybody regret buying the 6.2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Big Bad
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox
the shifting does not sound like the 6.2...but what the hell do I know, I just own one...
Yea, doesn't sound anything like this at all...

2011 F150 6.2 Big Block - YouTube

It's a 6.2, a few different sources confirm the EcoBoost (and 5.0) run neck and neck with the 6.2, there are now videos showing the real world performance. Guys who bought the 6.2 thinking their trucks are going to be half a second quicker in the 1/4 are going to be sorely disappointed when they line up next to the EB & 5.0.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:42 AM
ham77
Freshman User
Well if sound matters that much record what you want to hear and use headphones Otherwise relish the quiet smoothness as you smoke the guy next to you with the loud pipes....as the patrolman pullsover the hotrod

Some guys are slow...the reason we like that sound as it was equated with a winner...not just because it was loud...in the future walking quietly carring a big stick is the rule!

Old 11-08-2011, 05:51 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
The tiny little 3.5L is no doubt at the end of it's end of it's envelope from the factory, what more do you expect from a 213 CID engine?

If the 6.2L were built to the specs of the 3.5L, ie, ecoboost technology, I'll wager that all the big displacement guys would be salivating.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too little, too late, yeah maybe. This engine should have been offered 10 years ago. But Ford has historically came to the party a little late. The post war flatheads, Two years into the Mustang's life before it got a big block, the 71 429 Cobra Jet, the 96 32v 4.6, the Terminators, the 3v, and now we have the 5.0 and 6.2. All of these engines were 5 to 10 years too late to the market. Does that take away from their greatness? No. It just takes away from their life span. I know, as well as you, the 6.2 will have a limited life. But twenty years from now which one do you think will be more desirable. If you where buying a dent side today would you want a 351M or a 460? If you were buying a Ford truck from the early 90s would you look for a Windsor or the big block? If you're shopping for an old Galaxie would you pass over a 7 liter for a 289? How about a 302 Torino instead of a Cobra? Well, Ham, you may buy the smaller engine and "think" about how you're smarter than those other guys because you got it cheaper and it's better on gas but a true enthusiasts will side with the raw brute power that only cubic inches gives. And yes, I've seen the YouTube vids of Ecoboosts out running the 6.2. There is a big difference between speed and power. You obviously don't get it. That's okay, most folks don't anymore. The sad thing is I can't tell you what it is. If it has to be explained then you'll never understand. <O

To the OP, You see how emotional people can get about these engines. I think what it comes down to is are you an enthusiast or not. The Ecoboost is the more practical motor but the 6.2 has a heart that a six will never have. <O

And think about this. With the coming CAFE standards the days of big engine gas pickups are numbered. This will probably be the last time you will EVER be able to get an engine like this in a half ton pick. Don't miss this opportunity! Are you going to listen to your heart or are you going to "think" yourself into a compromise?<O

Disclaimer of Endorsement: the above comments and comments stated earlier and future comments are not an endorsement of the 6.2 engine, big block family of engines, Ford Motor Company or any of its affiliates. The poster has not been compensated in any shape or form and only comments on subjects that interest him and has personal experience with. These comments are his personal opinions and should not be taken as anything but. They are posted for the sake of others to assist and educate.<O

Last edited by LxMan1; 11-12-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Cleaned up, removed quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Originally Posted by tseekins
If the 6.2L were built to the specs of the 3.5L
But the reality is, that it is not.
If the 3.5 had a million more cylinders.....

Old 11-08-2011, 10:20 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Why does everyone think the 3.5l is tapped out? What evidence is there for this. More people making false claims based on nothing but ego.

I for one havent picked which engine will be in my 2012 ford, but i havent ruled any of them out. Right now im unbiased.

But the hate from the 6.2l lovers to the EB is just redicouls.

Im all for the rivalry, bring it on, but making up things about engines being at the end of its limit is just crazy. I highly doubt anybody here has seen an EB repeatdly fail from power yet. Or even know what the designed power output is from ford, i gaurentee you ford left some on the table to ensure reliability with mass production.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:08 AM
BMWBig6
Senior User
Originally Posted by jokerforever
Disclaimer of Endorsement: the above comments and comments stated earlier and future comments are not an endorsement of the 6.2 engine, big block family of engines, Ford Motor Company or any of its affiliates. The poster has not been compensated in any shape or form and only comments on subjects that interest him and has personal experience with. These comments are his personal opinions and should not be taken as anything but. They are posted for the sake of others to assist and educate.<o</o
LOL that was funny!

For the most part this has remained a healthy debate, and I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'd like to think I'm an enthusiast, as my vehicle ownership history hopefully supports:
  • CURRENT: 2009 Audi A4 2.0T S-Line Avant
  • CURRENT: 2008 Audi TT 2.0T S-Line Coupe
  • 2003 Ford SVT Lightning
  • 2001 Ford SVT Lightning
  • 1993 BMW 740iL
  • 1990 BMW 535iM
  • 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo
  • 1983 Porsche 944
But I don't want my past car buying decisions to paint me into a corner or bias all of my future decisions (people can and do change over their lives). The question of whether or not I can wear the "enthusiast" badge may not be as important as "do I really need 3 enthusiast vehicles at the same time?" I've got a 1.5 year old and another on the way, so priorities are a changin'. As of today, I'm still not sure which motor I want, but everyone's comments are definitely helping me with my decision! I don't necessarily want the most popular motor, or the most efficient, or the one I can get the best deal on. I'm still grappling with which motor will give me the most (total) satisfaction for the next 5 or so years. Maybe I need to make a decision matrix that compares all of the different factors with subjective weighting, and let the formula spit out my answer.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:21 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD
Why does everyone think the 3.5l is tapped out? What evidence is there for this. More people making false claims based on nothing but ego.

I for one havent picked which engine will be in my 2012 ford, but i havent ruled any of them out. Right now im unbiased.

But the hate from the 6.2l lovers to the EB is just redicouls.

Im all for the rivalry, bring it on, but making up things about engines being at the end of its limit is just crazy. I highly doubt anybody here has seen an EB repeatdly fail from power yet. Or even know what the designed power output is from ford, i gaurentee you ford left some on the table to ensure reliability with mass production.
Hate? It's the Ecoboost owners that are constantly attaching us Dino motor guys. It's the Ecoboost guys that come onto a 6.2 thread and call us idiots and ******* (I wish the site hadn't blocked this, I would have like to know what Ham called me). It's the Ecoboost guys that practically go after me with my 460 1-ton be it on this forum or at the stoplights. And it's the Ecoboost guys that have climbed onto their high horses and can't see that we're all part of the Ford family.

We know what we have in our older designed motors. Can every Ecoboost owner out there say that? Did every Ecoboost owner buy their truck after researching the engine, pouring over break downs and specs? After harasses dealers for test drive after test drive and to let them crawl around, on, under and inside of the engine bay? Did every Ecoboost owner buy their truck because they use their life time of automotive experience to decide that it was the good engine? Or did they read a couple magazines and forums, maybe a test drive around the block and decide that since everybody else says it great then it must be? <O

"Everybody" thinks the 213 CID V6 engine is tapped out because it has been asked to do way more than such a small engine should ever be asked to do. Take a look at these:<O

Two unmodified Ecoboosts in SHO trim (dialed back and under a lot less stress than life in a pickup) that had their engines fail.<O
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=117629<O
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=110539&highlight=octane<O<O

Here is photo evidence of the coming carbon problems some of these engines are going to have<O
http://www.bgfueltest.com/<O<O

and a thread that gets more into the issue<O
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1061879-possible-ecoboost-problems-with-intake-valve-deposits.html<O<O
</O
Here are the warnings about mods
<Ohttp://fordf150ecoboostforum.com/index.php?/topic/210-ford-eco-boost-warnings-for-mods/<O<O
</O
I don't want to be anti-Ecoboost. Please, don't take this that way. I'm certain that the above engines were isolated incidents. Seeing that I haven't heard of a F150 Ecoboost failure yet I'm inclined to believe that. The carbon issue won't affect everybody and the warranty is just good business with such a new motor. When asked I will tell people to be cautious with this engine though. I've own pickups with small motors. If given a choice I will always choose the larger engine available in any chassis, be it car, truck, tractor, big rig or what have you. <O

I hope the best for DI tech. It, and developments like it, really are the wave of the future and the only way we're going to keep making American pickup trucks. I just wished that they had used this tech on the 5.0 and 6.2 instead of a small bore short(ish) stroke v6. <O

Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM
SHIP4BRAINS
Trailering
I dunno about you guys, but I bought my 2011 F150 truck to drive from point A to point B, light towing and hauling...not to race.

If I want to really haul/tow, I'll use my F350 that actually has some cargo capacity.

If I want to race...I won't be driving either.

And I bought the 3.7.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:35 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
I didn't buy mine truck to race either but sometimes points have to be proven...

Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I test drove a 6.2 Lariat Limited this morning for the first time and it was very impressive. The 3.5 Ecoboost and the 6.2 both have pros and cons. Larger displacement engines have been around for a long time and have a tried and proven niche in the market. Comparing the 2 engine is another one of those apples and oranges comparisons.

On another note. Calling someone an idiot is totally uncalled for.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:58 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Originally Posted by BMWBig6
LOL that was funny!

For the most part this has remained a healthy debate, and I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'd like to think I'm an enthusiast, as my vehicle ownership history hopefully supports:
  • CURRENT: 2009 Audi A4 2.0T S-Line Avant
  • CURRENT: 2008 Audi TT 2.0T S-Line Coupe
  • 2003 Ford SVT Lightning
  • 2001 Ford SVT Lightning
  • 1993 BMW 740iL
  • 1990 BMW 535iM
  • 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo
  • 1983 Porsche 944
But I don't want my past car buying decisions to paint me into a corner or bias all of my future decisions (people can and do change over their lives). The question of whether or not I can wear the "enthusiast" badge may not be as important as "do I really need 3 enthusiast vehicles at the same time?" I've got a 1.5 year old and another on the way, so priorities are a changin'. As of today, I'm still not sure which motor I want, but everyone's comments are definitely helping me with my decision! I don't necessarily want the most popular motor, or the most efficient, or the one I can get the best deal on. I'm still grappling with which motor will give me the most (total) satisfaction for the next 5 or so years. Maybe I need to make a decision matrix that compares all of the different factors with subjective weighting, and let the formula spit out my answer.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from there. I have a one year old myself, the wife wants another, and I'm active duty military with a regular rotation out to the sandbox (leaving again in three weeks). You can imagine that my time is tapped and some months the pay check doesn't go as far as I'd like. But you can take a look at my signature and in my albums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/m...er-albums.html) and see that I've always tried to keep only special interest vehicles in my yard. It has been hard. Most of them need work and it's hard to resist tearing down the the ones that don't for upgrades. Along the way I've had to let go of some cars and trucks that really meant a lot to me but I've been lucky enough to keep some special ones too. What I drive has always been an identifier for me. It has been an escape from a bland world. I way to feel free from the everyday stressors even if it just on the commute home. From that first day that I drove my rust out 65 Mustang to high school to the Rubicon I just picked up I've always had something unique in a world of nonscript transportation.

You have to do what is best for you and your family. If that means getting a $35K Ecoboost XLT instead of a $50K 6.2 Platinum then so be it. You'll still have a good truck. Ford trucks have always been and always will be the greatest

From personal experience though, if you are an enthusiast, go with your heart. It's the only way you'll be happy.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:47 PM
ham77
Freshman User
I will learn to play nice.

Last edited by LxMan1; 11-12-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: removed more badgering
Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 PM
tbar1963
New User
[QUOTE=jokerforever;11013081]
. There is a big difference between speed and power. You obviously don't get it. That's okay, most folks don't anymore. The sad thing is I can't tell you what it is. If it has to be explained then you'll never understand. <O

To the OP, You see how emotional people can get about these engines. I think what it comes down to is are you an enthusiast or not. The Ecoboost is the more practical motor but the 6.2 has a heart that a six will never have. <O

And think about this. With the coming CAFE standards the days of big engine gas pickups are numbered. This will probably be the last time you will EVER be able to get an engine like this in a half ton pick. Don't miss this opportunity! Are you going to listen to your heart or are you going to "think" yourself into a compromise?<O

Very well said....

Old 11-08-2011, 05:41 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
But the reality is, that it is not.
If the 3.5 had a million more cylinders.....
Sir, what does that even mean?

Originally Posted by jokerforever
Hate? It's the Ecoboost owners that are constantly attaching us Dino motor guys. It's the Ecoboost guys that come onto a 6.2 thread and call us idiots and ******* (I wish the site hadn't blocked this, I would have like to know what Ham called me). It's the Ecoboost guys that practically go after me with my 460 1-ton be it on this forum or at the stoplights. And it's the Ecoboost guys that have climbed onto their high horses and can't see that we're all part of the Ford family.

We know what we have in our older designed motors. Can every Ecoboost owner out there say that? Did every Ecoboost owner buy their truck after researching the engine, pouring over break downs and specs? After harasses dealers for test drive after test drive and to let them crawl around, on, under and inside of the engine bay? Did every Ecoboost owner buy their truck because they use their life time of automotive experience to decide that it was the good engine? Or did they read a couple magazines and forums, maybe a test drive around the block and decide that since everybody else says it great then it must be? <O

"Everybody" thinks the 213 CID V6 engine is tapped out because it has been asked to do way more than such a small engine should ever be asked to do. Take a look at these:<O

Two unmodified Ecoboosts in SHO trim (dialed back and under a lot less stress than life in a pickup) that had their engines fail.<O
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=117629<O
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=110539&highlight=octane<O<O

Here is photo evidence of the coming carbon problems some of these engines are going to have<O
http://www.bgfueltest.com/<O<O

and a thread that gets more into the issue<O
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1061879-possible-ecoboost-problems-with-intake-valve-deposits.html<O<O
</O
Here are the warnings about mods
<Ohttp://fordf150ecoboostforum.com/index.php?/topic/210-ford-eco-boost-warnings-for-mods/<O<O
</O
I don't want to be anti-Ecoboost. Please, don't take this that way. I'm certain that the above engines were isolated incidents. Seeing that I haven't heard of a F150 Ecoboost failure yet I'm inclined to believe that. The carbon issue won't affect everybody and the warranty is just good business with such a new motor. When asked I will tell people to be cautious with this engine though. I've own pickups with small motors. If given a choice I will always choose the larger engine available in any chassis, be it car, truck, tractor, big rig or what have you. <O

I hope the best for DI tech. It, and developments like it, really are the wave of the future and the only way we're going to keep making American pickup trucks. I just wished that they had used this tech on the 5.0 and 6.2 instead of a small bore short(ish) stroke v6. <O
I haven't seen one incident of an ecoboost owner blatantly attacking an owner of an n/a engine on this thread or any other here on FTE.

So many people are knocking the the 3.5L and basing the negativity on engine size, past turbo gas engine problems and a host of other ludicrous assumptions.

I say this, allow these engines to get some miles and time on the clock and see how they pan out.

I sense that if one ecoboost engine fails, it will make more headline news on FTE than any other engine failure. There have been some isolated 6.2L and 5.0L issues, it happens but it's not reason enough to send smoke signals and alert the media or to advise a person to NOT to purchase said engine.

And I seriously don't understand how not owning a 6.2L truck makes me a non enthusiast.

I'm not your mod here folks but I can still advise everyone to behave and keep the insults to themselves.

Quick Reply: Does anybody regret buying the 6.2?