Florida Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Ronnie Shierling

Need some advice on Warn Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 PM
MWJ69
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on Warn Hubs

I recently replaced my hub assemblies and also installed Warn Premium Manual Hubs on my 2001 F250 SD 4x4, 4 wheel ABS. I read on an old thread that I should expect the 4x4 light on the dash to stay lit after the new hubs were installed whether the transfer case was engaged or not - something about how the sensor works. Well, that light isn't on but myABS light is on, the thread didn' mention that. I'm guessing it's because I had to disconnect the ABS cables while installing the hub assemblies and it activated a code that now has to be cleared. I think that's all it is because I know I connected eveything correctly and i have no problems with the brakes. Can anyone confirm this for me? Also, why isn't my 4x4 light on constant like I was expecting? I really appreciate any input, thanks.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:44 AM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes and then reconnect. That should clear the abs code as long as its not actually broken/damaged/needs replacing.

One thing I've noticed with the ABS light is that it seems to come on more frequently when the unit bearings are on their way out. Don't ask me why, just seems to be true. Being an 01 its probably time for bearings if it hasn't had them already. - get out your credit card for that one.

Did your truck have auto or manual hubs from the factory? If manual, you shouldn't have the 4wd light. If auto, I have heard about the light staying on but have not personally seen it or physically done this swap on a truck that originally came with auto hubs.

Hope that helps

Old 11-05-2011, 08:31 PM
MWJ69
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks man. I'll try it tomorrow. My ABS light wasn't on before the hub assembly work and no problems with the brakes. I'm sure it just needs a reset. The fatory hubs were auto. I couldn't get them to budge anymore switching to and from the auto and lock positions, not even with a pair of channel locks or vise grips. I've heard many other people complain about this and I wanted to free up the front end anyway so I changed them. The vaccum lines were dry rotted and one of them damn near fell off the nipple so I'm sure that one wasn't even working. Just cut them back and plugged them. The 4x4 light isn't on but I'm not worried about anything. The hubs are operating just as they should and everything is fine. Thanks for the heads up on the unit bearings - haven't noted a problem but would be worth investigating. I really appreciate your response thanks.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:21 PM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem. Hopefully this solves your troubles.

Next time post in the SD or the Offroad forum for a quicker response. A little birdie pointed me over this way...I think it was a Robin redbreast