Indiana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:

Deer Hunting, Eating Turkey, Napping on couch, & BSing in Indiana Nov 2011...it don't get any better

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:12 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Good morning Indiana and all of our IN friends!

Well yesteray was a productive day...I made great progress on the flooring in the master bedroom...I started the day with 10.5 boxes of flooring and I'm now down to 2 boxes left!...I'm going to be CLOSE on having enough...my calculations are still having me with 10% extra...so of the ~50sq. ft. I have to lay...I should have about 4.5 sq. ft. for waste...we'll see how accurate my calculations are...god I hope I don't have to go buy a whole box for a few pieces!!!

Here's some pictures of yesterday's progress...the good news is the room is a big rectangle with no closets to deal with...getting started was relatively easy...but I did have to transition from the hallway (existing hardwood) into the bedroom (new hardwood)...I've attached a photo of that transition in the second picture below).

So what do you think?...

I should be able to finish this by late morning and then Zoe and I plan to go do some shooting later this afternoon...she wants to practice one more time before opening day gun season which is next Saturday...plus I want her to hear my 12 gauge go off just in case I get an opportunity to shoot when she is with me...

Hope everyone has a great Saturday with whatever you do!!!

Joe.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:58 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Good morning Indiana.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:47 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,098 Likes on 4,183 Posts
Howdy Indiana...Happy Weekend!!!

Old 11-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,155 Likes on 1,688 Posts
Good Saturday Morning FTE IN

Morning Joe, looks good

Old 11-05-2011, 09:12 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 135 Likes on 131 Posts
Have a great Saturday Indiana

Old 11-06-2011, 04:58 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Good morning Indiana and all of our IN friends!

Well so much for the extra hour of sleep...lol...

Yesterday was a great day for me...I FINISHED the flooring project...WOOHOO!!!

For those that don't remember...I started with flooring in boxes that looked like this...

The Ex was carrying the first 33 boxes (~2000#'s worth here) of the total 53 boxes I started with.

53*24 sq. ft. per box meant I started with 1272 sq. ft. of 3/4" nail down oak flooring. I started laying the flooring on labor day weekend (fitting I guess)...since then I have ripped out all the carpet in our house and put the flooring in 5 rooms (3 upstairs bedrooms, and two rooms on the main floor...the family room and our master bedroom).

Since the house is now 15 years old and we were in the "decision" point of having to replace most of the carpet...I just decided to put in oak flooring...I'm sure when we sell someone will cover it up with carpet and then 20 or 30 years later the next people will rip up the carpet and say "WOW THERES HARDWOOD UNDER THERE!"...lol...

Anyway...yesterday I finished up our master bedroom. I was sweating as I was going because I knew I would be "close" on how much flooring I would have...the master was an after thought but a good after thought...

As I know I will be gutting our master bathroom next year and putting in travertine or something similar (complete gut job there)...I tried to plan ahead on how I "ended" the oak and how I will have to match up to the tile...I did have to put a transition piece between the two rooms for now...I ended up modifying the previous one I had milled out of solid oak and it worked out well...well up to the point that I had to shave about 1/8" off the bottom of the door...thankfully the door is solid wood and I simply got my trusty block plane out and made that work too...

So in the end this is the amount of wood I had left...talk about CLOSE!!!...and remember how much I STARTED WITH!!!...I think the mini cooper can handle carrying this if needed...what do you think...haha

I didn't have to cut any new shoe molding since I did that about 5 years ago when I laid the laminate that I ripped out of the master...but I did have to reinstall the shoe molding and putty all the holes and restain and touch up the few places in the dry wall that I "nicked" swinging the hammer...typical damage working so close to walls...

I cleaned everything up and returned all loaned tools (well except for the flooring nailer as that goes to a guy I work with and I'll get that back to him next week when I'm back in the office since I'm flying to SoCal later today)...

So I get everything cleaned up (including a shower for me) and then take Zoe shooting since next Saturday is opening day gun season and she wanted to shoot one last time...so we head to the range. I take the .22 which is her main plinking gun I also take the .44 for her to shoot a few rounds thru and I also take my 12 ga. so she can hear it go off just so she isn't startled if I happen to get a shot while she is with me...

She is a GREAT shot...everytime I watch her shoot...she is such a diliberate shooter...We shot from ~35 and 50 yards...her .22 grouping at 50 yards measured ~1.5" around...and at 35 yards they are sub 1".

She shot her .44 four times at ~35 yards and her group was also sub 1" with 3 of them touching...I put up a deer target and she blasted the heart 4 times!

So I shoot my 12 ga. and I have it sighted in for about 1.5" high at 50 yards...at 35 yards it is probably 2 to 2.5" high (and I know that)...so on close deer I aim lower (heart) and on far deer I aim a little higher (mid-upper chest)...I shoot 3 times and my group is sub 1" at 35 yards...the trusty 870 shooting Remington sluggers (foster style) still performs like a champ!...when we walk up to the target...Zoe says...WOW those are BIG holes!...I said yep!!!...she stuck both of her pinkies in ONE hole and just couldn't believe it!...but think about it...a .44 is slightly under 1/2" in diameter where a 12 ga. is right at 3/4"...and we're talking diamater and circular area...not to mention shear MASS of the projectiles...her .44 weighs roughly 1/2 ounce and my 12 ga. weighs about 1 ounce...but her .44 is much more aerodynamic and will group better at 100 yards.

So...I thought this was fitting...here I am at the range with my 12 year old daughter who has already harvested a nice doe this year and is in her final "practice" session before heading back out in the field next Saturday to hopefully harvest another deer and I look down as she is shooting and see this...

Notice the fingernails!...I'm not used to seeing painted nails wrapped around a gun stock!!! ...not that there's anything wrong with it...I'm just not used to it!

So...man did this get long...sorry...

I better go and get another cup of tea...

Hope everyone has a GREAT Sunday...I don't leave for the airport until about 2:30...think I have a 3:45 flight...don't land in LaLa land until about 11 Fort Wayne time...

Did I say how GOOD IT FEELS to be DONE DONE DONE with the floor!!!...

I'll try and check in later today.

Joe.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:44 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Good morning Indiana, good Joe now you can finish mine!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Good Sunday Morning FTE IN

Morn Joe, Great opening statement again, floor looks great too

Old 11-06-2011, 07:10 AM
BIGKEN
Good morning Indiana...Happy Sunday!!!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Good morning...looks like many are awake and kicking! Looks like that extra hour of sleep did some good...enjoy your Sunday.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 PM
KOESTNER
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good evening Indiana and all of those who stopped in today. Glad to hear you're done with the hardwoods Joe, I bet you sure feel good after accomplishing all that. You'll also notice the house will be a lot cleaner without carpet. I won't be approaching your home in the dark, too many good shooters around. I didn't do anywhere near that good when I was in the army, I also didn't go to Vietnam. Everyone have a fantastic Monday.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:16 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Good Moanday Morning FTE Indiana

morn Joe

Old 11-07-2011, 06:03 AM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning my FTE friends! Tis monday already so rise and shine. Coffee is at the ready so grab a cup and lets get rolling!
Short week for us government workers...WOOHOO! Have a great day!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:05 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Morning All!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 AM
BIGKEN
Morning Indiana...welcome to the workweek!!!

Quick Reply: Deer Hunting, Eating Turkey, Napping on couch, & BSing in Indiana Nov 2011...it don't get any better