1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Paint Job in Denver

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:32 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paint Job in Denver

[EDIT] - opening the thread up to a more broad topic of powder v. paint.

This post is targeted at Denver folks and folks who have lived in Denver, know Denver etc...

I have a set of original style steel rims I would like to paint, but not trying to go original color, instead I want to match the current (previous owner) paint... possibly if I can afford it get a few spots on the body fixed up. Just not in the budget to repaint all and get it to original color. I've done a little painting in my day, enough to know it is more art than not and I am not an artist.

Anybody know of an affordable good paint place in Denver? I just want some input and experience rather than doing a random yellow page pin the tail on the donkey game.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:46 AM
brain75
Elder User
bump....73 views, not one post eh :P

All good folks, I know that 90% of the US populace is not in my timezone, I'm used to it.

Tell you what, as long as nobody gets to bashing I'll also solicit "negative" referrals - just simply tell me who to avoid, with no emotional business hate (keep the thread peaceful please).

Old 11-01-2011, 03:30 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If it's just a set of wheels, think about searching for a powder coat shop. Most of those shops also do industrial painting & can spray anything, or just sandblast and powder coat. They'll help you bracket the price range. There are a couple of shops around here and they end up being pretty reasonable for painting loose parts.

Dan

Old 11-01-2011, 06:39 PM
F100FE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to a good paint supply store, they can take a computer and read your old paint and mix to match, then any shop can paint it for you.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:25 PM
brain75
Elder User
Update:
I took BBB and picked the top rated 10, then picked the top 20 on google/citysearch/yelp and combining the common folks on the two lists started a pin the tail on the donkey search.

Now I am getting more feedback on powder coating versus paint and I am looking to see if anyone has thoughts or suggestions.

I plan on repainting at some point - be that I may do some touch up, or if I find someone who can do a "daily driver" quality job without taking my whole checkbook.

A lot of the shops are suggesting PAINT the rims because they can not get a perfect color match with powder. Very few say that even with PPG codes and doing it all, they can match them close enough.

I've researched to death the advantages and disadvantages, so what I am really looking here for is this: Anyone who has powder coated rims color matched to the body - how close is the color... good at 10 feet, good up close, "good enough" ?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
My 53 C600 MH has yellow powder coated wheels, and does not match the original ford (faded) green paint! Lol. Has any of the paint shops said that they could match the paint to the powder coated wheels? Maybe just do the wheels the color you want (close to the existing paint) and then down the road have the new paint job matched to the wheels?? But having said that, if it was me I would just paint the wheels vs powder if you want them to match.

Cheers

Josh

Old 11-15-2011, 10:06 PM
brain75
Elder User
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Has any of the paint shops said that they could match the paint to the powder coated wheels?
That's the problem that brought me back here. One shop said if I have them computer match the existing (non-original offball green 2 stage clear), they will not guarantee it will look good if done in powder. They will guarantee it will look good if done in paint.
Same shop said if I give them the PPG code for original and let them paint everything / powder coat the wheels there will be a slight shade difference - most likely the powder will be lighter color.

Originally Posted by jmadsen
Maybe just do the wheels the color you want (close to the existing paint) and then down the road have the new paint job matched to the wheels??
That's where I am leaning - I am a dark metalic green from the PO right now. I was thinking going back to original Meadow Green on powder coating the wheels, then if I find someone who can shoot the body at a reasonable cost and timeframe (1st bid was $7k / 8 months) I'll have them also do Meadow Green (and just live with the slight shade mismatch).

Old 11-16-2011, 10:45 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You could try painting the wheels in a trim color for a little contrast...or black. Then you wouldn't be worried about the color match.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:28 PM
DT56
Cross-Country
Bryan,

You might try
Vintage Car Works
303-459-4626

Dave DiMaria

I'm also in the Denver area and have a 56 F-100

I've had some wheels powder coated, however a friend in Colorado Springs had it done for me and he has since moved out of town. The wheels were Porsche wheels and cost about $40.00/wheel.

Just saw your topic today

Old 11-16-2011, 04:00 PM
wilsel
Senior User
Wish I could help you, but I just moved here. Just saying hello!

Old 11-16-2011, 04:46 PM
brain75
Elder User
My truck is from Windsor, I own a condo in Windsor still - used to drive through Severance (past Bruce's Bar) on my way to Ft Fun throughout college.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:45 AM
brain75
Elder User
Small update, I have chosen Pristine Powder Coating in Englewood. Been to the shop, saw some of his work, and of all things he is the most affordable of the ones I interviewed. Owner/Operator does some classic work and has a set of chebby rims sitting on the floor - innie nub going on a modern vehicle (wonder what that story is).

Anyhow, I drove the truck over - we eyeball color match on glove box door and for the first time I realized I have 2 colors in my truck - the interior is slightly lighter color and 2 stage with clear the exterior is metalic green with clear top. Whenever I was cleaning the interior I always focused on cleaning not studying the colors.

Powder ordered, delivered, and mfg. proof received... It looks good in person, but it looks pretty bad on camera - here's the icky pictures (mfg proof up against clean painted body panels):

Exterior door (best lit in part in the garage):

Interior door (door opened and placed in same spot under light):

Pictures look so bad you probably wonder what I was even aiming at - I had 3 sets of eyes... the owner (it's part of his job he's good at it), myself, and a woman (they are so much better at girlie stuff like colors).... I was aiming to match the interior with the goal that if I was slightly off I would be future color matching the paint to the new powder rims (and trying to stay very close to the Meadow Green original).

I believe he said this particular color is RAL 60005 "Sage Green" (he's going to give me full specs when we have time to settle up).

Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Bryan,
Lot's of discussion on color - the meadow green you picked looks nice.
Just for the wheels for now? The fact that you had two different colors on the truck to begin with & it didn't bother you - would seem to say that an exact color match doesn't matter that much.

Our truck was painted this summer - the Prep work is probably more important & costly than the actual spraying of paint. I asked them not to make it perfect - I wanted bumps & dents left in it. I didn't want to be super picky about paint as I drove it around in parking lots, etc.

Do you want it to look like a brand new truck? or

An old truck with a new paint job?

Good luck on those wheels they will look great.

Ben in Austin

Old 12-13-2011, 11:44 AM
brain75
Elder User
Originally Posted by ben73058
...Just for the wheels for now?
Do you want it to look like a brand new truck? or

An old truck with a new paint job?

Yes, just the wheels for now (between wheels, paint, clear, hubcaps, and then putting some meat on em - PO left me with 15" rims - I can't afford to go full monty on painting everything). PO must have thought himself a body man, he did nothing mechanical and no upholstery, etc - the only two things he did, replaced the wood in the bed and "fixed" the body... which a magnet and a few minutes revealed lots of bondo - quite thick in spots. I have cracks now in a few places where heat/cold stress has caused the thick bondo to open up. I plan on doing some body work, slowly cause I can't afford to farm that out.

I am accustom to parking in the last row at the back (my other car is a convertible), so have no problems driving a really nice paint job. I never douchebag park, and I never get door dinged. I would like a sharp truck - someone here has it as a signature beautiful curves and big headlights.... don't need no 2011 truck :P