Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil Pan Saver

Old 10-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Raymond
Tuned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil Pan Saver

Last summer I noticed that after 9 years the dreaded New England winters had taken there toll on my oil pan and it was leaking from 2 spots due to rust. I used gas tank repair kits to fix the 2 rust holes that I found. Probably about 4 months later I noticed one of the repaired areas was leaking again. So I contemplated replacing the oil pan after I was told that someone where I work was a Ford trained powerstroke mechanic and would replace the pan for $1000 plus the cost of the oil pan. I then was told about the oil pan saver from Damian Diesel out of Avon MA. They have a video on you tube listed under 7.3 Ford Rusted Oil Pan Repair Kit that shows how to install the oil pan saver that they came up with.
I ended up getting the oil pan saver in the hopes that this would cure my leaking oil pan once and for all and at a cheaper price than replacing the oil pan. With the kit you get the following; the pan saver, 2 part epoxy, 2 wooded wedges, rubber gloves and aluminum tape. The install was straightforward. I removed the patches that I put on last year as well as prepping the area where the pan saver goes. Since I don’t need my truck everyday I was able to allow the pan to drain for a week. The worst part of the install was the 2 part epoxy. Fortunately you are provided with enough rubber gloves to do the install (very sticky stuff).
It has been month since I have finished and so far no leaks. I will have to see how this winter treats me and will provide an update in the spring as to how well the pan saver made it through the winter.
I tried to upload pictures into the thread but they came out small and couldn't couldn't figure out how to make them bigger. I have pictures in my gallery under the 2000 F250.
Ray

Last edited by Raymond; 10-30-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-30-2010, 08:06 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the update Raymond, Glad to hear the Pan Saver is working for you.

It is nice that we now have another option to repair the pan on the truck besides pulling the engine for a oil pan replacement.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:42 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the post Ray and I'm looking forward to your update.

For those that are interested here are the links to Part 1 and 2 of the Damian Diesel videos on Youtube.

YouTube - 7.3 Ford Rusted Oil Pan Repair Kit (1of 2)

YouTube - 7.3 Ford Rusted Oil Pan Repair Kit (2 of 2)

Old 10-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Oil Pan Diaper!!! I considered that but i couldnt find a diaper. and ontop of that Too much work for me owning a stick. I cant pull the front of my tranny off like they do. So I used POR-15 before It got any bad.

One could also just use Fiberglass and resin and constrict their own diaper if it is that bad where their is a leaky opening.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:14 AM
DocB
Cross-Country
I was contemplating this bandaid fix also, but what about the rest of the pan (up under the cross-member) that the diaper does not cover?

It seems that this is never addressed.

Sure, you can only cover the bottom of the pan, but what about when the rest starts to leak?

I'm just wondering when that happens if I won't consider the diaper to have been a waste of time and money.

BTW-For now, I have POR-15'd my pan and hope that it will hold me over until I can get my new SS pan on.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:21 AM
Raymond
Tuned

DOCB the oil pan is stamped out of a single piece of metal so the rest of the pan is thicker then the sump area. Thats why you don't see rust holes in that area.
I guess you can call it a band aid if you wish but its cheaper then replacing the pan itself, and it should last a whole lot longer than the gas tank repair fix.
Ray

Old 10-31-2010, 05:46 PM
DocB
Cross-Country
Raymond,

I agree. But I just finished hand sanding down the whole pan, in place, and resurfaced with the whole POR-15 treatment. Marine clean, Metal Ready, and 3 coats of POR-15 and a top coat of chassis black. Believe me, I got real intimate with my oil pan and the whole project was aweful rough on religion. Took longer than just an afternoon.

Just illustrating that I did not do a fly-by-night job and I can honestly tell you that there was significant rust on the pan up under the cross member also.

We usually keep our vehicles at least 20 years and that is why I am a little annoyed at a stupid problem like this. I guess if I want to get 750K out of this engine I'm going to have to come up with a little better solution, which I believe I have, but it is going to take some doing.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
I had a leaky pan myself, coming from the drain plug though. It coated my pan and made it nasty. After PORing it about 2 months later, with a new drain bolt, i see and feel NO oil at all and its holding up strong. One time in spring when I have a free night I plan to do more coats of POR-15 on it. Its working well. Its best to catch it before it starts. Like Doc said you gotta do it the correct way not just slap it on. Im happy with my results. And every one loves the left over POR in the fridge!

Old 11-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Raymond
Tuned

I agree if you get to it soon enough then the prep is the key to making the pan last. I should have paid better attention to the condition of the oil pan before it sprung a leak due to rust.
Ray

Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I figure that this is how I would fix my oil pan leak.

Riffraff Diesel: Ford Enhanced Long Block

Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
I figure that this is how I would fix my oil pan leak.

Riffraff Diesel: Ford Enhanced Long Block
Exactly what I'm going to do when my pan rusts through, but I'll have a long wait here in AZ. Nothin' seems to rust around here.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:51 AM
spooky01
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates from Raymond on how his Pansaver is holding up? I am interested in hearing how it is working out.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:15 PM
spooky01
Junior User
Has anyone else tried the pansaver product? If so, how do you like it. Thanks

Old 12-08-2011, 12:36 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
I sent Raymond (the OP) a PM about an update. Don't expect a reply very soon, if ever, because his last post was early February this year.

We'll see.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:01 PM
spooky01
Junior User
Guess I will be a guinea pig then, I ordered the pan saver kit as shown on the youtube video yesterday, fortunately I don't have any leaks in my pan at this time but I do have some surface rust. Just trying to be proactive and can't see it would hurt; I will be installing the pan saver and applying POR-15 to the remainder of the pan. Wish me luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pan Saver