1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Tell your Air Suspension conversion story here please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:39 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by wpatters1229
i have a 2000 Expedition and the air system was shot so I used the Monroe kiet 90010 and now when driving it cold the front is bouncy but seems to get better as you drive. Like the shocks in front warm up. But the worse is when you corner seems to really lean and if you hit a bump when cornering you better hang on to the wheel.?
That’s because the air suspension system uses a SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) under the dash that measures how quickly you are turning the steering wheel.
That, combined with the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) gives the Air Ride Module enough information so that it can close the solenoid valve between the two front air springs and close the solenoid valve between the two rear air springs.

Typically the two solenoid valves are open. In this condiction, say the right front wheel hits a bump. The open solenoid valve permits the air pressure in the right front air spring to be pushed out and over to the left front air spring, resulting in a softer ride on the right front wheel, and then the air pressure from the left front air spring rushes back into the right front air spring helping to keep the right front wheel quickly return to the ground.

If you were to turn quickly at speed and the solenoid valve between the left and right air spring was open, as the weight of the vehicle shifts to the outside of the turn, the air would rush out of the outside air spring, lowering that side of the vehicle, and the air would rush into the inside of the turn air spring, raising up the inside of the vehicle, causing exstream lean angles.

By having the Air Suspension Module close that solenoid valve during a sudden turn, that isolates the left and right air spring, and minimizes vehicle lean. The vehicle acts like it has a 2 inch sway bar, which would make for a very hard ride when going straight down the road.

For those that have full working air suspension, turn the air suspension off and experiment with a guick swerve at speed. Just be sure you have a good grip on the wheel and no one is near you.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:42 PM
wpatters1229
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what does that mean for no air?

I thought there might be something going on with the suspension that gets messed up when changing to regular springs and shocks.
So you seem to know alot about the system...what do you suggest one does about this cornering problem with out the "system"?
Can a bigger sway bar be put in?
What have others done about this problem?

Old 01-27-2018, 05:07 PM
Mr. Rogers
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the rear solenoid

Where is this located. I’m not finding any leaks so now I’m wondering if this could be it
Originally Posted by HIPCHECK
Thanks Paul. I soaked the entire bag and the airlines around it and see no leaks. This is quite annoying. I replaced the solenoid thinking that might be the issue but it's not. I'm done guessing. Time to convert.