6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Super Duty Diesel Problems Compared to Chevy, GMC & Dodge Diesels

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:16 PM
MrAgent007
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Duty Diesel Problems Compared to Chevy, GMC & Dodge Diesels

Hello, I am new to here and Ford (although posted a few weeks ago) and in the process of purchasing a used 2008 F 350 dually to use as a tow vehicle for my Airstream RV. In looking at the various Diesel and Ford related forums, it seems that Ford has a greater share of Diesel related problems compared to what I read in forums related to Chevy, GMC and Dodge diesels pickups. I was looking to purchase a Diesel pickup truck that will give me about 10 years of reliable service, however, after reading about all the problems here, I am now having doubt about the reliability of Ford 2008 or newer Diesels. Could someone please provide some insight. In addition, I am wondering how many or what percentage of Ford Diesels 2008 or newer are out there that we hear nothing about because of having no problems. I guess it is safe to conclude that all we read about in the forums are the problems that are being experienced by owners.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 10-29-2011, 04:06 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Greater market share will equal more reported repairs, just the way it is in manufactoring.

Take everything you read and see with a grain of salt.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:36 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
As you stated, most people only come here when they have a problem. Yes, there are problems with any manufacturer. What concerns most people is the cost of out-of-warranty repairs. They can be staggering considering the cost of the fuel systems. But again,can be any manufacturer. Fords can be made better(some people's opinions) by doing a DPF delete and a tuner. Now you are starting to see EGR delete kits that protect and dump the overboost. Most are just scared to put them on due to voiding the warranty before the 100k mark. They all have their problems, to each their own. I have driven Fords at work for 25 years now and only been a Ford owner for 10. I see what these trucks are capable of, and it's truly impressive. With proper maintenance, they can last for many years to come. Do some more research, as we can only offer opinions. you will have to make the decision. On a side note, if you have a problem, see if your local Ford mechanic works on them on the side. The cost savings(if you have a problem) can be tremendous. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:29 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by MrAgent007
Hello, I am new to here and Ford (although posted a few weeks ago) and in the process of purchasing a used 2008 F 350 dually to use as a tow vehicle for my Airstream RV. In looking at the various Diesel and Ford related forums, it seems that Ford has a greater share of Diesel related problems compared to what I read in forums related to Chevy, GMC and Dodge diesels pickups. I was looking to purchase a Diesel pickup truck that will give me about 10 years of reliable service, however, after reading about all the problems here, I am now having doubt about the reliability of Ford 2008 or newer Diesels. Could someone please provide some insight. In addition, I am wondering how many or what percentage of Ford Diesels 2008 or newer are out there that we hear nothing about because of having no problems. I guess it is safe to conclude that all we read about in the forums are the problems that are being experienced by owners.

Thanks for your thoughts!

You also have to keep in mind that the number of PSD owners on this and other sites represent only a fraction at best of all the vehicles in service, and generally you only hear from the dissatisfied. Only a fraction of owners will come on to say my truck has been great, but just about EVERYONE that's had a problem will get online somewhere to rant and rave.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed with all that has been posted so far. As far as I am concerned, the issues that have risen are part of owning a vehicle that "will do the job". My Job 1 diesel has had a couple of issues but no more than the Chevy's and Dodges. With new technology that comes out with every year, there seems to be some intimidation with this. Also the Government and their EPA mandates have created equal issues that we will all overcome in the years ahead. I just pulled my 5th wheel 250 miles today and it was such a comfortable pull. Even thru heavy traffic thru the heart Dallas. I have the power to punch it with 11k behind me and still have the acceleration and power to move with ease. The features on Fords are unmatched by the competitors. Chevy is trying to add features, but Ford will outmatch them. Yes, they are expensive to operate, but look at the competitors, they are too. Don't let the 1% that post negitives, taint the 99% of the positives. We all seem to have over come most of the issues that have come forward. And there are solutions, usually several solutions.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:48 AM
BigSilly86
Like A Boss!

I had a 2009 Chevy 4x4 that I traded In for my Ford 2008 drw 4x4 F-350, It was the best decision I've made The ford pulls heavy weights with ease. when pulling my 30' prowler with 3 slide outs it feels like I'm pulling a can on a string where as my Chevy struggled with anything over 6 thousand pounds. ( ALL Manufacturers has their problems) All the dissatisfied people of chevy and dodge come on this site to Troll our fords because they are jealous of the right decision we have made. So you have to take every post on this forum with a grain of salt.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 AM
MrAgent007
Senior User
Thanks Tgreening, Gearitis and BigSilly86 for your response and insight. I am beginning to feel more comfortable about my decision. I pick up my 69,100 mile 08 F 350 DRW Job 1 truck next month. It was drive back and forth between upstate New York and Florida on a regular basis so it was at least driven on a regular basis for more than a trip to the store. Does the carfax reports show "all" service or do I need to get the Oasis report for this? Truck was serviced at a Ford dealer in New York as well as in Florida during the single ownership.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:27 AM
MrAgent007
Senior User
Thanks

Thanks as well Golfmedik and Senix!

Old 10-30-2011, 12:08 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep in mind as well,

newer diesels seem to experience less problems when used as designed, if this is going to be a lightly used machine, plan on doing mods to it, or you might experience problems, no matter which brand.

Older diesels were an option as daily drivers for mileage or enthusiasts, but the newer ones are really only good if you NEED a diesel.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:41 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
See the link:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...igned-for.html

this is where these motors work best.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:55 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Get an Oasis report as well...that way you know where you stand as far as the warranty work that has been done.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:00 PM
bigoltrk
Senior User
007, I agree with everything posted above. Considering what these trucks are capable of i.e. towing the trailer in my sig (13.5k dry), things happen. We towed the toy hauler this past summer from Oregon to Colorado and back ~2,400 miles trouble free. Plenty of power in the mountains and passes. My only issues have been mpg's (but that's comparing to my 7.3 and 6.0 (pre DPF)) and radiators.

From your avatar, I'd be willing to bet that you are meticulous with your maintenance (it's hard to pull over up there to fix things, right?). Other than a good maintenance plan, I'd ask for the Oasis report from your dealer to insure maintenance and repairs up to this point. I would also recommend you research an extended warranty with 100k-200k coverages because you never know when or where something may happen (piece of mind if nothing else).

Old 10-31-2011, 09:11 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Ford mirrors are the best compared to the GM and Dodge

Suggest you check for an Oasis Report from your dealer on vehicle you are considering as has already been mentioned. Suggest you use fuel additive with lubricity improvement for your fuel; drain the water separator monthly; stay on top of fuel filter maintenance. Don't let it set extended periods with empty tank if you are not using it; keep full to reduce risk of condensated moisture in tank.

Probably should seriously consider extended warranty.

Probably same risks even if purchasing a GM or Dodge

But, if you want the most interior room, the best mirrors you won't be disappointed Oh, and I love my man step......with my bad knees....

Bob

Old 10-31-2011, 11:10 AM
tgreening
Elder User
Just a point of order here. I am a pretty big Ford fan but Lemons do happen. I had an 89 Ford Bronco that I purchased brand new that was the biggest mechanical piece of crap I have ever owned and was bought back by the dealer. Crap DOES happen. Get your Oasis report BEFORE you buy the truck.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a bit of info. I am sitting here at Texas Motor Speedway, at this moment drinking coffee and looking out over the 1500 or so campers that are parked here AlReady! The bigger trailers, ie, Toyhaulers and large 5th wheels are mostly being pulled by F-250's and F-350's. There are a few Chevy's and they are newer. Several Dodge but most are 5.9 liters or older dodges. The guys next to me have 3-40ft Toy haulers, circled like covered wagons, and are all pulled by 2008 and 2009 F-250's diesels and they said last night, now some beer talking here, that they tried using other brands, but the Fords are best on the long runs. Yea, fuel economy was worse but the power was "over the top". They are big into Motocross and travel a bunch. They have a 4th rig coming to finish the circle and he will be in a Chevy 2010. He had a transmission failure on the way up. Yea, they were laughing, that it is an Allison transmission!

Quick Reply: Super Duty Diesel Problems Compared to Chevy, GMC & Dodge Diesels