1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Let's talk plasma cutters

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:01 AM
ungerp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Miller 375 which I have had for a few years now and I have had no problem out of it and it cuts well through 1/4" steel and even sheetmetal of 18 gauge.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a miller spectrum? I think its called. It works well, although the capactiy of my plasma is alot smaller then what it sounds like you need! Mine is rated to 3/8ths, although I have done some 1/2 inch creatively.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:54 AM
wallster
Elder User
Originally Posted by preppypyro
I have a miller spectrum? I think its called. It works well, although the capactiy of my plasma is alot smaller then what it sounds like you need! Mine is rated to 3/8ths, although I have done some 1/2 inch creatively.
We use a Miller Spectrum at work and we don't have any complaints with it either. Works well.

Wally

Old 10-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Phity Five
Junior User
Bought a small Hypertherm for occassional use in the plant... paid about $1200... 120/240 volt... would do up to 1/4 inch pretty well. The mother board went bad afer about 4 years, and because it was some sorta intergral motherboard design, it was about $500 to repair ($300 parts, $200 labor/S&H).

Thermal Dynamics (affiliated with Victor in southern USA) had $300 bounty, dead or alive, and so their $1000 unit (Model 42, it think) was a good deal... about the same specs but performs a little better (maybe cause it new?)

Just one more data point from experience.

Brian

Old 10-28-2011, 03:51 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
I remember seeing a set-up in a Hot-Rod mag a couple of years ago that utilized a over-the-counter program and home PC. After the program install, and building the Traversing mechanism.. the torch would robotically move over the material, allowing to auto-cut designs and pieces out of sheet/ material..might be down your alley with the type of work you do..and your comfort level with a PC. Would be perfect for D-holes.

It would at the minimum take the"shakes' out of any circles you cut..and make long straight lines..

Old 10-28-2011, 03:56 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by havi
Would the Henrob be an alternative worth seeking?

I have a Henrob....it is an excellent alternative on sheet steel. It makes a razor thin cut with very little residue. There is a definite learning curve for making good cuts, but the package comes with some training wheels to help through the learning phase.

I haven't tried it on stainless or aluminum.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I started with a Miller Spectrum 300 when they first came out. I think they were a little creative with what it would do. Worked really well but went through consumables rather fast with it turned up completely.

At the time, I thought "I don't cut that much thick stuff so this will be nice." You get to liking it so much you start wishing it would cut thicker stuff. The 300 did well with 1/4" if the consumables were new but they would wear to 3/16" (nice cut) pretty soon.

So I sold it and got a Spectrum 675 and love it. It will do a nice 1/2" cut and tips last longer.

Buy a name brand unit that you can get parts for at your local welding supply that cuts 1/2" cleanly and you will not regret it.

I almost never use a torch any more.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sam, the wheels i have simply slip over the cup and secure with a small setscrew, much like a gas welding setup. John

Old 10-28-2011, 10:31 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lexcoe
Sam, the wheels i have simply slip over the cup and secure with a small setscrew, much like a gas welding setup. John
cool. I'll have to take the cup down to the welding supply shop and see what they have..

Sam

Old 10-29-2011, 11:13 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
The night I posted my question I got home and became sick as dog so I haven't be able get on the computer. I'm glad, other than having nausea and head aches, that I had to wait. These all good replies, just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:30 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

I have had my Miller 375 Extreme for the last 4 years and love it. I also remember paying 1500.00 for it new. This really came in handy when i did my c-notch and boxing plates on the rear of my frame. I used 3/16 plate. Just my .02

Old 10-31-2011, 08:30 AM
john fin
Senior User
Bob, what tax law is that. My bosses use everything for personal use. Company cars have company hitches with company boats. Company pressure washers and lawn equipment that stay at their homes.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I don't know the specifics but when I started my business my accountant told me if I bought a tool for manufacturing I was not allowed to take it home to use it for personal use because that would be illegal. As a manufacturer I don't pay sales tax on the tools I use for manufacturing. In fact, technically, I cannot use a tool, like a drill that I bought for manufacturing to do maintenance on my building. And there's no way I'm going to break the law.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I made the purchase today. I bought a Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 39

I chose this one for a few different reasons.
  • I spent a good amount of time researching the web over the weekend. I went to a lot of welding discussion groups and the TD and Hypertherm units seemed to the favorites of the guys in the fab industries. Also, there were some good recommendations here and a bunch of posts on the HAMB.
  • I used a Thermo Dynamics unit 15 years ago at a former job and I thought it was a good unit.
  • The place I buy my welding supplies from, which is close and is staffed by friendly and helpful people, sells TD units.
  • Price was also a factor, not much but it still helped.

The salesman at the welding store was very helpful and help me buy the correct machine. The 39 fit the scope from light sheet metal to 3/8" plate. Anything heavier I would use the torch on. I was also interested in a small TIG set up I found on the TD site but the salesman talked me out of that. He told me I could do pretty much anything with my MIG that I can do with a TIG by switch size of wire and type of wire.

I played with the plasma cutter when I got back to the shop this afternoon and I think it's going to work exactly like I hoped. I want to play with it again in the morning and then it's going to work. It will be a very busy unit for the next two weeks.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:38 PM
rzns60
Senior User
Sam, let me know if you figure out the tips, since I have the same cutter you do.
Kelly

Quick Reply: Let's talk plasma cutters