6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

'04 w/ 96k- Stall/Surge & 1-time stall- UPDATE #2. IPR removed PICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NewToDiesels
The new BPD screen on that housing won't affect anything negatively. It is nicely mounted with safety wire that will not allow the bolts to back out, nor will the heavy duty screen fail. It is very common for the IPR screen to get trashed and clogged after working on/replacing the oil cooler. Sometimes you can get lucky and just clean the screen, other times you'll need to replace the IPR valve because it can get contaminated and the valve gets fubared. If your old HPO screen in the reservoir was torn, that just means the possibilities of contamination are multiplied significantly.
Thanks for all the input on this thread.

So, if I can fight off the trick-or-treaters tonight I might try and pull that IPR this evening after watching the pressure values on my Insight ( I found out today that I've been missing that PID on the Insight CTS and it DOES indeed exist- just need to confirm when I get home). Is the consensus that it should just be replaced, or if the screen is intact and just gunked up can you clean these out? I don't want to remove that IPR more than once so I don't want to risk cleaning when I should have replaced. Did I just answer my own question?

Old 10-31-2011, 03:18 PM
NewToDiesels
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tampa250
Did I just answer my own question?
I think you have, but keep in mind there's still the possibility it is an HPO system leak, or the HPOP.

BUT... .5 volts while cranking is not 0 volts, so you may get lucky since it is reading SOME pressure, just not enough to fire.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:46 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
I think you have, but keep in mind there's still the possibility it is an HPO system leak, or the HPOP.

BUT... .5 volts while cranking is not 0 volts, so you may get lucky since it is reading SOME pressure, just not enough to fire.
I REALLY hope it's not HPOP or an oil leak.... I hope I pull this IPR in my driveway and find junk all over the screen and that's the end of it. Stay tuned....

Old 11-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Okay, I got the IPR out tonight after work. What a pain in the *** that is on an early motor.!

At any rate, the screen on the end of it is completely caved in and torn open. From what I've read, I will be replacing the entire unit. I am looking forward to bringing a new one home tomorrow night and getting it in the truck. Are my odds pretty good that this is my entire issue?

Another update tomorrow night after the install.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:27 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Okay, I got the IPR out tonight after work. What a pain in the *** that is on an early motor.!

At any rate, the screen on the end of it is completely caved in and torn open. From what I've read, I will be replacing the entire unit. I am looking forward to bringing a new one home tomorrow night and getting it in the truck. Are my odds pretty good that this is my entire issue?

Another update tomorrow night after the install.
Im betting that a new IPR will fixx it

A pushed screen with a hole in it means the pressure got way high and forced junk threw it and now its stuck open
Its VERY VERY VERY high pressure that the IPR deals with
Im saying a 98% chance this will fix it

Did you get IPR out with the turbo on

Old 11-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Im betting that a new IPR will fixx it

A pushed screen with a hole in it means the pressure got way high and forced junk threw it and now its stuck open
Its VERY VERY VERY high pressure that the IPR deals with
Im saying a 98% chance this will fix it

Did you get IPR out with the turbo on
Cool..... I hope you are right.

Yes, I pulled the IPR with turbo on. Just pulled degas and FICM, got the socket on the sensor from the top and then went under truck and got ratchet on socket. Had to have my bro up top to snap the ratchet head onto the socket.

I will advise tomorrow. Looking forward to this- truck should run better than it has in awhile, I'm guessing. Wonder if this will make my fuel economy any better? Has this IPR issue negatively affected the truck's performance in any way other than the surging, etc?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:55 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Tyler said after he replaced his IPR the fuel milage got better

since you mention surging along with the pushed IPR screen I betting this IPR will solve the issue

Old 11-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Tampa250
Tuned
Here's what the IPR looks like. I'm hunting a new one down this morning and hope to be up and running this evening.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:16 AM
NewToDiesels
Elder User
Trashed... I bet this is all you have to do...

Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
When that screen blows out does it stay inside the IPR? Or does it end up in another screen or filter somewhere?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:56 AM
NewToDiesels
Elder User
I don't see how it could go anywhere else. The holes are so tiny that the any pieces that escape would be microns in size.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:35 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Trashed... I bet this is all you have to do...
I'm betting on it too. That would definitely cause driveability problems.

Rusty--That's a pretty good question. I'm not sure where it would go from there. Hopefully into the filter.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I might try and pull that IPR this evening after watching the pressure values on my Insight ( I found out today that I've been missing that PID on the Insight CTS and it DOES indeed exist- just need to confirm when I get home).
Hi Tampa,

Did you confirm if there was an IPR or Engine Oil Pressure PID on your Edge Insight?
Do you know when you last updated the Insight? My truck is a 2003 and I don't have either of them ... I think that's one of those model year differences with the Insight.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Originally Posted by Piolet
Hi Tampa,

Did you confirm if there was an IPR or Engine Oil Pressure PID on your Edge Insight?
Do you know when you last updated the Insight? My truck is a 2003 and I don't have either of them ... I think that's one of those model year differences with the Insight.
I cannot see Injector Pressure after all. Boys at Bulletproof told me they could but I updated yesterday and still only get ICP voltage.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Truck is fixed! IPR did it! Thanks for all the help and guidance, guys.

I do now see a code but truck runs smooth. I am going to clear it in the morning and see what happens.

Quick Reply: '04 w/ 96k- Stall/Surge & 1-time stall- UPDATE #2. IPR removed PICS