6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Headlights.....PIAA Xtreme White PLUS or Philips X-treme Power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 AM
mvedepo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights.....PIAA Xtreme White PLUS or Philips X-treme Power?

Looking for better illumination for the upcoming winter night driving. Hi-beams aren't to bad but the lows are marginal at best. I know HID is an option but don't even know if there are any "legal" ones available. And if there are I know I dont want to shell out the coin for them. SO I am basically looking at a bulb change. I wish HIR bulbs were available in H13/9008 but no luck there.

Anyway, I put Silverstar Ultras on another vehicle and was less than impressed. What do you guys think of the PIAA Xtreme White PLUS?? What does the PLUS signify?

PIAA

How about the Philips X-treme Power?

X-treme Power

Old 10-27-2011, 09:52 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have been using PIAA xtreme and would do both the H13 and the driving in a PIAA. I also have the bright box which keeps fogs on low and high, runs both low and hi filament in hi in the h13 bulb. Works great no bulbs burnt out as yet. Some say it's an issue.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:06 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by mvedepo
Looking for better illumination for the upcoming winter night driving. Hi-beams aren't to bad but the lows are marginal at best.
Anyway, I put Silverstar Ultras on another vehicle and was less than impressed. What do you guys think of the PIAA Xtreme White PLUS?? What does the PLUS signify?

PIAA

How about the Philips X-treme Power?

X-treme Power
I had the Silverstar Ultras on my Silverado and they were a lot better than the lights that I have on the Ford. You would think that for a $50k truck, Ford would put in a lot better headlight.

ken

Old 10-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
fords have the worst headligts ever since they went to the composite lense, back when they were sealed beams they were good.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:19 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
FYI just tried to replace 9145 driving lights with 9006 55w PIAA extremes, they don't fit, i tried everything darn it. Any help appreciated I just dropped big coin so if there is a way to make them work I am all ears. The H13s are doing fine for 1 year. This is in my 2005 so any tips appreciated.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:22 AM
cirrus365
Elder User
I know HID is an option but don't even know if there are any "legal" ones available. And if there are I know I dont want to shell out the coin for them.
I put 55w HIDs on (for under $100) and it made a huge improvements. I haven't been pulled over or even flashed but I did adjust the beam down.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:10 PM
wbigcount
5th Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mhoefer
FYI just tried to replace 9145 driving lights with 9006 55w PIAA extremes, they don't fit, i tried everything darn it. Any help appreciated I just dropped big coin so if there is a way to make them work I am all ears. The H13s are doing fine for 1 year. This is in my 2005 so any tips appreciated.

Take you stock 9145s and put them side by side with the 9006, match up the bases and trim the taps on the 9006s. It will fit, I have 9005s in mine.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:28 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
The problem was the base of the bulb would not fit into the cylinder and twist lock in place. About two mm to big around. Tabs are different too, they are at slightly different angle and thicker. I have put them in my wife's Rav4. I am going to try and buy 9005s and see if they will fit into the cylinder base. If they don't the Rav4 will get high beam upgrade too. I was hoping the 55w version would fit. Now the 9005 are high beam at 65 watt so it may be I can only run on the open road.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Delawhere?
Senior User
Originally Posted by cirrus365
I put 55w HIDs on (for under $100) and it made a huge improvements. I haven't been pulled over or even flashed but I did adjust the beam down.
My friend has a 6.7L 2011 and we were just talking about the headlights over coffee. He was showing me how congested the front end area is and was wondering how does one ever change a light bulb on one of these new trucks!
So I ask the question, how does one change a light bulb, headlight, side light, or turn signals on the new 2011? Mostly just curiousity but it might be important someday on the road and no internet to ask the question. I would hate to have to go to any dealer to change a light bulb. Anyone???

Old 10-31-2011, 09:16 PM
mvedepo
Senior User
Originally Posted by cirrus365
Which ones?

Old 10-31-2011, 10:56 PM
cirrus365
Elder User
Which ones?
HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

Search and there are several threads including an install.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 PM
cirrus365
Elder User
Originally Posted by Delawhere?
So I ask the question, how does one change a light bulb, headlight, side light, or turn signals on the new 2011? Mostly just curiousity but it might be important someday on the road and no internet to ask the question. I would hate to have to go to any dealer to change a light bulb. Anyone???
Its been a year since I had them out but I think there are only 3 screws holding the headlight. The bulbs just twist out. You need a long #2 Phillips screwdriver to adjust the beam.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:15 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is how I would do it. More work, but easier in the end.

Three bolts on top of the center chrome grill, take them out, pull up and out and the big chrome grill comes off.

Then, there are two or three bolts holding the headlight assembly on, take them out and the whole headlight will come off and you can put it on your workbench.

They are all metric bolts.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:52 PM
shadowSVT
Senior User
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
OK,
I went back to Pep Boys today and they still had the Silverstar Ultra's on sale, so I bought them.
The Install:
it is easier to take out the center grill - there are 4 screws up on top, then about 5 push connectors on the bottom to get the grill out. You can push down on them with a screwdriver and then pull the grill out. There is also a little tab on the left side that holds a rubber insulator that needs to be removed. All the bolts are 10MM.
Each headlight is held in by 4 screws - one on top, two on the side, and one underneith.
once you have them out, its twist and replace the lights.

now the Silverstars -
I changed them out at night so I could judge them, changing one out and comparing it to the stock. It's obviously brighter, but not worlds difference - and now where close to HID's.
however, for 35 bucks, its a worthwild investment to help get some more light out.
Next to to figure out how to keep the driving lights on when the high beams are on.
I know someone posted about a controller that does it - guess I need to research it.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:51 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Controller you want is turbaned box, make sure it allows high and low headlight filament with driving lights on for both. I bought 9005 for driving and will see if they fit this weekend.

Quick Reply: Headlights.....PIAA Xtreme White PLUS or Philips X-treme Power?