disappointing 5.4L triton, what now? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

disappointing 5.4L triton, what now?

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

disappointing 5.4L triton, what now?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:54 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Fosters View Post
True, that would simply not be worth it; seeing as there are plenty of 6.8s available if you look around .
I don't understand your point. Why wouldn't transplanting a 6.8 be worth it? That will be the cheapest way to make 100 lbs of tq. I dunno about your neck of the woods nice trucks with 6.8 still running close to $10k. It'll be cheaper to buy a wrecked truck or just the engine and harness.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.
I think I would be fixing those weak glow plug issues & and enjoying the diesel ( I have run 7.3's 150km north of the arctic circle if freaking Siberia! And not had the starting issues I read bought on here till at least -40*! (glow plugs are a wear item) they don't last forever change them out at 100k install a fresh relay and have a good set of batteries, it will start first time every time!
Jim & fat Monty

Old 10-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Silver24
New User
Silver24 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
I live in south central idaho. I don't think I'll be transplanting anything into the truck I have now, lets just say it has hard a pretty hard life.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:00 PM
dkf
Post Fiend
dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by exiled View Post
I don't understand your point. Why wouldn't transplanting a 6.8 be worth it? That will be the cheapest way to make 100 lbs of tq. I dunno about your neck of the woods nice trucks with 6.8 still running close to $10k. It'll be cheaper to buy a wrecked truck or just the engine and harness.
The OP is using the truck for business. I doubt he has time to screw around with installing a V10 in place of his 5.4l. Paying someone to do the transplant and still being down a truck will not optimal either. If he wants more power his best bet would be to pick up another truck IMO.

If I was running guys across the country hauling cattle around they would be in a medium duty, due to racking up a lot of miles fast.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:24 AM
IslandBlueV10
Senior User
IslandBlueV10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hay Silver24, I live in SouthEastern Idaho. Do you want me to watch out for a truck around here? I do see them come up on craigslist and locally. I know Denny's wrecker is auctioning a 2001 F-250 tomorrow, don't know any info about it though.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:19 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.exiled has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
The OP is using the truck for business. I doubt he has time to screw around with installing a V10 in place of his 5.4l. Paying someone to do the transplant and still being down a truck will not optimal either. If he wants more power his best bet would be to pick up another truck IMO.

If I was running guys across the country hauling cattle around they would be in a medium duty, due to racking up a lot of miles fast.
Good points. I can't say that I disagree w/ any of em. But I'm looking at the budget. $7500. That's nothing for a truck. We're talking about a cattleman. We don't step out of the budget or we lose or butts. So if he says $7500 that's what it has to be. Now the transplant was my last option. I just understand what the other guy I quoted was saying obout the transplant not be worth it. Cause in all reality it is worth it. Weither or not time allows it to be an option is another story.
The op has came back and said a transplant won't be happening so that's prolly a good thing.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:32 AM
MisterCMK
Avid Winter Hater
MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Silver24 View Post
I live in south central idaho. I don't think I'll be transplanting anything into the truck I have now, lets just say it has hard a pretty hard life.
So how cold does it actually get there in the winter?

Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Fosters
Posting Guru
Fosters is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by MisterCMK View Post
You should have gotten the dizzle...
Hah, one day, I will... But it won't be while I have to depend on it for going to work - like I do in the winter here.

The time and money involved simply isn't making it feasible. Engine and harness wouldn't be the only thing, you'd need a whole new pcm to control the extra 2 cylinders, new radiator/ac hoses, etc; just about anything that's connected to something at the front of the engine will have to be swapped out to account for the extra ~4-5" of engine...

In my neck of the woods it's like that too, can't find a decent superduty for under 10 grand; however, down south they're much cheaper, and usually in much better shape (especially rust-wise). That's what I ended up doing with this last one. Road trip

Old 10-28-2011, 10:44 AM
maverick22
Elder User
maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.
I understand your situation. That 5.4 will do the work. Yea it seems like it doesn't have enough power to pull a bale of hay. I assure you it can. Regearing doesn't change the power of the engine it changes the power put to ground. So yea regearing will make all the difference in the world.
In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations." In this case, his motor's limitations. If he's hauling a 24' stock trailer fully loaded w/ cattle, he could be pushing 20,000lbs. Don't get me wrong, I really like my 5.4 and it's got quite a bit more horses and torque than his 99 does - but in no way, shape, or form is that engine capable of pulling 20,000lbs for any sort of distance, regardless of the gears. Especially since he's used to pulling that load at 75mph. Throw any sort of terrain change in there and you're done.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
Do you need a 4X4 or will a 2X4 work? Will a regular cab work or do you need a SC or CC? Be specific about your needs...

Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 AM
NWF150
Junior User
NWF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations." In this case, his motor's limitations. If he's hauling a 24' stock trailer fully loaded w/ cattle, he could be pushing 20,000lbs. Don't get me wrong, I really like my 5.4 and it's got quite a bit more horses and torque than his 99 does - but in no way, shape, or form is that engine capable of pulling 20,000lbs for any sort of distance, regardless of the gears. Especially since he's used to pulling that load at 75mph. Throw any sort of terrain change in there and you're done.
I fully agree with maverick on this one, my 2000 150/ 7700 with the 5.4 and 3.73 did not like a 10,000 pound mini-ex on a 25 foot flat bed at all. Now coming home with it I pulled it with my brothers 1 ton with the 460 and wow what a big difference. I have never driven a V-10 but lots of people around here swear by them and when they sell them the are sure to get what they ask for them.

IF he is looking for a CC 250 with a 460 in it there is a 97 with 93,000 on it about 50 miles from me. they are asking 10,000 for it but I bought my 2000 from them for 3150 bucks less than asking because I payed CASH. Just saying.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Silver24
New User
Silver24 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
thanks for the ideas guys. one thing I didn't mention is it has to be a longbox, manual transmission, with either a standard or extended cab. It also has to be 4x4 because I have to get out into the field all winter and with 2 ft of snow it gets hard. Around here we usually are about 10-15 degrees on a good day, but we have weeks were it just stays well under -10. It really just depends on the year too. If anybody finds any good leads on a truck let me know.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
thanks for the ideas guys. one thing I didn't mention is it has to be a longbox, manual transmission, with either a standard or extended cab. It also has to be 4x4 because I have to get out into the field all winter and with 2 ft of snow it gets hard. Around here we usually are about 10-15 degrees on a good day, but we have weeks were it just stays well under -10. It really just depends on the year too. If anybody finds any good leads on a truck let me know.
Here is a 2005 V10 4X4 Super Duty meeting your requirements:

Cars for Sale: 2005 Ford F350 4x4 Regular Cab Super Duty in Duncansville, PA 16635: Truck Details - 306001532 - AutoTrader.com

Old 10-28-2011, 04:05 PM
IslandBlueV10
Senior User
IslandBlueV10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
<<Here is a 2005 V10 4X4 Super Duty meeting your requirements:

Cars for Sale: 2005 Ford F350 4x4 Regular Cab Super Duty in Duncansville, PA 16635: Truck Details - 306001532 - AutoTrader.com

That one sounds like a good deal. Trying to find one like that around here might be hard.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:04 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
SDTriton250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SDTriton250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't know abut the older 5.4L but we tow a 10k lb (GWVR) 5th wheel at probably 8500~lbs actual with our 2010 5.4L auto/3.73 F250. It does fine and we have no trouble running 65-70mph around the southeast but, you have to keep it between 2500~ rpm on the flats to 4500~rpm on the steeper uphills. I came from four Cummins powered Rams so I'm very familiar with the 30% lower rpm towing with diesels. The 5.4L, at least my 2010, does a fine job in my humble opinion towing as long as you keep the rpm in it's power band. I would love to hitch up to a loaded 24ft cattle trailer to see how mine would do with it. Gotta be much less wind drag than our 5th wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: disappointing 5.4L triton, what now?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.