1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Some upgrades to the Ranger and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 06:00 PM
93f250tn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some upgrades to the Ranger and a few questions

Hey guys/gals i am slowly putting together my 1999 Ford ranger which my younger brother will be getting when i get my lightning here in a few months and figured i would post some pictures of the upgrades and also a had a few questions. Heres some pictures of the upgrades and will be adding a few over the next few days.

Pictures of the new tint, 35 percent of the front windows including visor stripe and i believe its 15 on the back windows.

The new system, 2 brand new Rockford Fosgate P2's in a Super bass ported box which is line-xed, powered by a Kenwood Excelon amp getting 254 watts rms to each sub at 2 ohms. New interstate battery providing the juice with i believe just over 800 cranking amps and Rockford Fosgate amp kit. The head unit is a Kenwood Excelon model # KDC-X395 which has ipod hookup and everything else you can think of and provides about 50 watts rms to each speaker. The speakers are still factory for now. I was told it hits about 136 db's thanks to the small cab space I am in the process of routing the ipod connector and aux wire to inside the center console.

I am in the process of blacking everything out, I will be painting the rims, and rear bumper next. Then will be applying VHT spray tint on the tail lights and turn signals with a light coat. I thought using a foam brush and painting it on would be fine but didnt turn out as good as i thought but will probably sand it down and spray it down the road.

I also removed the mud flaps and put in a drop in bed liner which i will take pictures of tommorow. I will be doing the exhaust hopefully this week like the lightning trucks. I already have the 3.5" slash cut tips painted gloss black and the piping i just have to get it welded on the muffler is already off. I may also start painting a few engine bay parts and clean up the wiring. I may paint a few interior parts to match the outside i have not yet decided. The future plans will be a 3/4 JDM drop kit, 18" rims, and may do a 5.0 swap depending on the budget. Ill try and get a video of the system and exhaust when it gets done this week if i can. Be free to let me know if you guys can think of anything else that may look good i am always up for ideas

My questions pertain to some maintenance. I was told there is some certain hoses that get clogged if the truck sits for awhile, which hoses are they? Its the 3.0 flex fuel and it sat for about 2 years before i bought it. I also plan on cleaning the MAF and throttle body is there anything else i should clean? The reason i am doing this is the truck will ping sometimes really bad on acceleration it has a mind of its own. The plugs and wires were replaced 30k miles ago from what i have been told. I also ran seafoam through the vacuum line which seems to helped alot but it still pings bad every now and then. I appreciate any input

Old 10-31-2011, 08:25 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
What brand of plugs and wires were installed? Rangers seem partial to Motorcraft plugs and wires. Double platinum plugs would be a good choice.

Also, I would suggest cleaning the idle air control (IAC) valve.

When was the fuel filter last changed. If you don't know, it is something to consider changing.

Last edited by michigan66; 11-01-2011 at 03:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-01-2011, 02:30 AM
93f250tn
Senior User
Originally Posted by michigan66
What brand of plugs and wires were installed? Rangers seem partial to Motorcract plugs and wires. Double platinum plugs would be a good choice.

Also, I would suggest cleaning the idle air control (IAC) valve.

When was the fuel filter last changed. If you don't know, it is something to consider changing.
I have no idea, the lady just said she had them changed before it sat for 2 years plus so for the extra $100 bucks i might as well change them. Where is the idle air control valve located? I had the fuel filter replaced about 3 weeks ago when i had all the fluids changed. I ran into a huge problem today... one of the brake pads somehow came dislodged and was floating down on the brake dust cover. It was grinding for about a day or two and knew it needed attention but was busy as hell so put it off but i heard a loud noise and brake fluid was everywhere and lost my brakes which scared the crap out of me but it was before i pulled out of my driveway so i got really lucky. The rotor is shot, along with the pads. I am hoping there is no damage to the caliper so for now the exhaust is on hold intell i get the brakes done. Ill end up replacing rotors, pads, shoes and maybe the front rubber brake lines as well sense there only $15-$20 each for a piece of mind. Of course the goodies have to come after all the maintenance