1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ruff ride (horrible)

Old 09-19-2011, 05:49 PM
chetty_mo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ruff ride (horrible)

i bought my truck already lifted and the ride is so tight and ruff, if you hit a speed bump you loose a kidney and a few teethe ive been reading here and it looks like the guy before me added a few leafs to the front and rear along with the lift. my question is "can i just remove 2 leafs from the front to soften the ride"? i looked and theres 5 leafs in the front. i think there is supposed to be 2 or 3. any help here would be greatly appriciated.ill post some pics of the front leafs in a few mins also removing tips for a few leafs would be alota help also

Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Can it be done? Yes.
Will it soften the ride? Yes.
Will it lower the truck? Yes.
Do you have to know what you are doing to avoid a potentially dangerous result? Yes.

You are re-engineering the spring pack. If you understand the theory and physics, go for it. I have done it a few times

Old 09-20-2011, 02:49 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
If the truck really was lifted with add-a-leafs, you can pull them out, IF you can identify the leaves that were added to the pack. Just my hunch since you're asking for general advice on if this can be done, you've never done it before, and you'd need help determining what was added. A picture is worth many thousands of words describing all the ways to lift a leaf spring front end, so if you could provide some, you can comfirm exactly what you're dealing with as far as how the lift was done.

But the odds are that it was lifted with a replacement aftermarket spring pack, and you'd be better off swaping in new stock packs; choose the spring code based on your original VIN tag, maybe adjusting some. Unless you can identify the brand of the replacement pack, you'll have a tough time figuring the capacity of the springs and which ones to pull out to keep your FGAWR somewhere in the correct ballpark.

You do realize that your lift height is not independent of number of leaves in the pack; you saying "looks like the guy before me added a few leafs to the front and rear along with the lift" confuses me slightly, because the extra springs are the lift, and removing them will lower the truck.

The actual act of replacing or removing the springs is simple, but you can cross that bridge once you figure out if you need new packs or if really have an add-a-leaf.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:24 PM
chetty_mo
Freshman User
ummm

Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
If the truck really was lifted with add-a-leafs, you can pull them out, IF you can identify the leaves that were added to the pack. Just my hunch since you're asking for general advice on if this can be done, you've never done it before, and you'd need help determining what was added. A picture is worth many thousands of words describing all the ways to lift a leaf spring front end, so if you could provide some, you can comfirm exactly what you're dealing with as far as how the lift was done.

But the odds are that it was lifted with a replacement aftermarket spring pack, and you'd be better off swaping in new stock packs; choose the spring code based on your original VIN tag, maybe adjusting some. Unless you can identify the brand of the replacement pack, you'll have a tough time figuring the capacity of the springs and which ones to pull out to keep your FGAWR somewhere in the correct ballpark.

You do realize that your lift height is not independent of number of leaves in the pack; you saying "looks like the guy before me added a few leafs to the front and rear along with the lift" confuses me slightly, because the extra springs are the lift, and removing them will lower the truck.

The actual act of replacing or removing the springs is simple, but you can cross that bridge once you figure out if you need new packs or if really have an add-a-leaf.
ill upload a pic of my set up. i wish i knew how many leafs are supposed to be there, then id know if he did add any leafs to the pack. i thought the blocks did the lift but i do understand that the leafs have mass so yes they lift as well.

Last edited by chetty_mo; 09-21-2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 09-21-2011, 03:32 PM
chetty_mo
Freshman User
heres a pic of the leaf pack

Old 09-21-2011, 03:38 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
If he lifted the front with blocks, you need to remove the blocks. A front lift for a truck with leaf springs should be spring only.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
wow that looks dangerous as all get out!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:28 PM
lllateralus
Senior User
That looks like a lift block on the front end... get it out.
That is a big NO-NO.

70 MPH + a panic stop and you might have some serious problems.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:46 PM
chetty_mo
Freshman User
oh no

Originally Posted by lllateralus
That looks like a lift block on the front end... get it out.
That is a big NO-NO.

70 MPH + a panic stop and you might have some serious problems.
wow thats not good. i pull a trailer all day and ive had to do some quick stopping but i hear ya. will my tires rub if i take the blocks out, there in the back also??. really i just want a softer ride. its rediculously stiff. so to be clear, take out the blocks in the front, but should i take them out of the back as well? and what should i put in to raise it up?? please advise

Old 09-21-2011, 04:46 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Take out the blocks right away! Dangerous! You can replace them with shackles or a mini spring pack. ANYTHING but blocks.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 PM
chetty_mo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel

so do i have add a leaf? in your oppinion

Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 PM
chetty_mo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Take out the blocks right away! Dangerous! You can replace them with shackles or a mini spring pack. ANYTHING but blocks.
mini spring pack or shackels, any brand that you suggest? wich ones better? costs? and thanks, sounds like you might be saving my life)

Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by chetty_mo
so do i have add a leaf? in your oppinion
Yes. normal trucks only have 2 leafs up front, however if your truck is a plow package or some other upgrade factory package that might mean it has more leafs, I'm not sure. But normally only two leafs up front

mini spring pack or shackels, any brand that you suggest? wich ones better? costs? and thanks, sounds like you might be saving my life)
ICON is a really good brand. You can buy them at www.riffraffdiesel.com. I have shackles on my truck, that were there when I bought it. Dont know about price on them though.

Riffraff Suspension: Icon Vehicle Dynamics

Also, a personal thing, I havnt had good luck with FRAM filters. When you change your oil next I would suggest a Motorcraft filter.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:02 PM
chetty_mo
Freshman User
mini spring pack

Originally Posted by A/Ox4
i found this on ebay. is this what you suggest i replace the blocks with?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-04...item33657bcaab

Old 09-21-2011, 05:04 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

i found this on ebay. is this what you suggest i replace the blocks with?
99-04 FORD SUPERDUTY 2.8" Front Leveling lift 4x4 F350 | eBay
Not familiar with that brand, but thats the general idea. Measure the blocks in the front and see if the mini pack is the same size. (2.8" for that kit)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ruff ride (horrible)