Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2002 f250 7.3 auto suddenly no throttle

Old 10-22-2011, 09:11 PM
randymacbc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 f250 7.3 auto suddenly no throttle

Comming back from hunting today my truck suddenly lost power and stepping on the accelearator had no effect at all. We were on the highway thru the mountains but on a fairly level stretch for a few miles. Managed to pull the truck and toy hauler over and the engine was running fine but stepping on the accelerator had no effect. The check engine light came on every time I stepped on the throttle and went out when I released it. It started fine but no throttle response. Switched around a bunch of relays and checked the fuses and still nothing. Not liking my parking spot i tried to see if it would move down the road at an idle but it would not. Then I thought to try it in 4 wheel low and as the shoulders were soft it wouldn't move forward so tried reverse and went back a foot, forward again and moved a foot and a half. did this several times and all of a sudden the throttle responded, took it out of 4 wheel and it ran fine all the way home.
Any body have any ideas what would have caused this? I was ready to call a tow truck which would have been several hundred dollar bills for where we were and with the trailer

Old 10-22-2011, 09:15 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Ive had the same thing happen to me but I was stopped and started the truck put it in gear and nothing when I stepped on the petal SES light was on. A few seconds later SES light shut off and all was good again happend twice now, Ill be following this

Old 10-22-2011, 09:16 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds to me like a throttle position sensor issue.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:10 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Mis read on my part. Mtalley probably is on the right track

Old 10-23-2011, 05:27 PM
randymacbc
New User
Thanks, did a bit of research on throttle position sensors and problems and that seems to make sense. I have the adjustable pedals and it all seems to be a one piece assembly but I have not been able to find a part number or any listings for the adjustable pedal type online. Anybody know who would carry them or do I have to go to the dealer?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 PM
randymacbc
New User
02 F250 adjustable throttle pedal assembly fixed.

well I had no problems with this since that time last October until last Sunday it happened again but it stayed dead with no throttle response.
Being at home I decide to pull the pedal assembly and check it out. First off whoever designed this $800 POS should be hung. Why make a one piece assembly that needs to have the whole thing replaced when a 3 dollar switch goes.
Anyway on my 02 it has the single 5 wire plug and with the ohmeter set to 20k scale and then depressing the pedal I was getting a reading of 3.78 to 1.2 between pins 1 and 3, 4.09 between 1 and 2 didn't change and 0.57 to 3.2 between 2 and 3. Pin 1 being the furthest from the firewall. Between pins 4 and 5 which have a Red with green stripe and Red with yellow stripe wires it was an open circuit with no change. These I discovered were to the Idle Validation Switch portion of the circuitry and that was the culprit.
Being it was sunday and the dealership wants about 800 bucks for this pos assembly I had nothing to lose and took a dremel to the plastic welded rivit nut heads on the switch cover. Went round and round each head with a 1/8 straight bit just enough to have it pop when giving a light pry on the under side of the cover.
Inside is a circuit board type flat potentionmeter for the TPS and similar for the IVS contacts. Sprayed the crap out of it with contact cleaner a few times and checked again and got continuity. Cleaned out old silicone gasket and spray cleaned contacts again and applied new silicone bead for gasket. Seated cover and applied a blob of hot melt glue where the old plastic heat welded bolt heads were and working great since.
Again, whoever designed this piece of crap should be shot. Screw that, hung , then shot.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:45 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Wow. Glad you got it fixed back up, though.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:32 PM
emerald isle
New User
gages and pedal dead f250 2002

Hello this is my first post. I have a 2002 f250 7.3 I have had this happen 1 other time . Dash went dead gas pedal went to checked fuse 45 it was broken. Well it just happened again so I checked the fuses all were good. Found out on this site about the wire in shifter chafing. Took it apart found broken wire and fixed it. The dash lights and pedal still dead. My question is now what? What else can control all this stuff that obviously got fried . Any help would be greatly appreciated I learned alot on this site already from you guys!!

Old 09-02-2013, 09:19 PM
canoechris
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had the same thing happen to me back in the spring you may want to check this out.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13781745211158

Old 09-02-2013, 10:29 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Kudos to canoechris for bringing up Ken's article.

Pop

Old 08-05-2014, 07:27 AM
stevens7.3
New User
Unhappy same here

My 02 ford excursion quit on the way to work today it started knocking and missing real bad and the same thing happened with the throttle my starter has a bad spot in it every now and then but I doubt that's related unless it is something very electrical. Pleease help we are supposed to leave for the beach today and the excursion needs to pull our camper!!!

Old 08-05-2014, 11:18 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by stevens7.3
My 02 ford excursion quit on the way to work today it started knocking and missing real bad and the same thing happened with the throttle my starter has a bad spot in it every now and then but I doubt that's related unless it is something very electrical. Pleease help we are supposed to leave for the beach today and the excursion needs to pull our camper!!!
Where are you located?

Just so we understand, it is running very bad and smoking (what color) and pedal has little effect because of that? That sounds more UVCH/50 cent mod. Search that.

Or is the truck idling ok but pedal makes no difference? That's the throttle position switch problem above.

It would be best if you fill us in on these details and begin a new thread, that way you'll get better help.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:34 PM
themachine1967
New User
No gauge or throttle

Could this OD wire cause my second alternator not to charge still no gauge or throttle #45 fuse blew once not now all it does is idle

Old 12-13-2014, 07:47 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by themachine1967
Could this OD wire cause my second alternator not to charge still no gauge or throttle #45 fuse blew once not now all it does is idle
We don't know what truck you have.

S'more info, please.

Pop

Old 07-28-2015, 08:05 PM
bradj51
New User
I have been dealing with this exact issue for a year. Always happens at the worst time. Towing a load over a mountain pass. Ugh. Sometimes motor dying leaving me with no power steering or brakes. Then sometimes 300 miles without a problem. I had the engine light on when I started it today and decided to tear into it. I followed your directions to a tee. Fired back up. No check engine light. Next time I put some miles on it I will continue my report. I hardly drive this rig except when needed. Crossing my fingers. Thanks for the instruction

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 f250 7.3 auto suddenly no throttle