Modular V10 (6.8l)  

v-10 best fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:52 PM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 99F250fx4v10
just cleaned my maf and my k&n was pretty disgusting did get avg 13 city highway before ill see now.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong cuz I'm not even touching 9MPG. After the K&N installed I got 11.3 city highway

Old 11-03-2011, 11:16 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VONxRUBENxLA
I don't know what I'm doing wrong cuz I'm not even touching 9MPG. After the K&N installed I got 11.3 city highway
Are you talking about just a k&n drop-in filter or a full cold air intake kit?

Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Bbasso
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donovan
Do you have a standard? How many miles
2005 E350 extended body, V10, 5R110 trans, 265/75-16 BFG AT load E, and Mike's 93 octane performance tune. Bone stock at 60,000 miles.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:45 AM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
Originally Posted by onug
Are you talking about just a k&n drop-in filter or a full cold air intake kit?
Just a drop in

Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
svector51
New User
Best mileage at 78 MPH on a 850 mile trip to Fla

I live in Va outside Washington, D.C. Last August I got my best mileage ever in my 2004 V10 F-350 on a long road trip to Orlando, averaging 75-78 mph. My gas mileage for the trip was 14.7 mpg.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:12 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Best according to dash readout -12.5, my hand calc at fillup 11. Not a very long trip so who knows what's totally right. Average 10 (fill up at 240 miles with 24 gallons almost to an exact everytime), worst was 6 towing 8-9k travel trailer up and down too many hills. I don't have many long trips so it's hard to say.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:23 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Old 01-21-2012, 01:51 PM
cruzerjd
New User
New to the forum, have a 2001 F250 two wheel drive, 4.30 gears and auto. 135k on the beast (or as my wife calls it Bane, as in bane of her existance, lol) best i have seen in 80% city driving is 10.35 mpg, worst i did not even bother to calculate, but around 8 mpg pure city. Tried cleaning the MAF, no gain in mpg. Truck is all stock, am planning on getting the 5 Star tuner to see if mileage can be improved. would also consider headers and y pipe, but know there is likely no gains to be had mileage wise. Needed a truck to do some moving and always liked the utility of having a truck. Traded in a good economy car (2006 HHr, 22 mpg city, 31 hwy) on a bad whim. Figured that in the spring through fall i can use my motorcycle for work and errands, but that sub 10 mpg is hurting right now. Drive fairly sedate, about 5 miles from home to work and lots of Wally World and grocery shopping, as well as bill paying. Any real world gains available aftermarket that won't run over $1k? cruzerjd

Old 01-21-2012, 02:12 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by cruzerjd
New to the forum, have a 2001 F250 two wheel drive, 4.30 gears and auto. 135k on the beast (or as my wife calls it Bane, as in bane of her existance, lol) best i have seen in 80% city driving is 10.35 mpg, worst i did not even bother to calculate, but around 8 mpg pure city. Tried cleaning the MAF, no gain in mpg. Truck is all stock, am planning on getting the 5 Star tuner to see if mileage can be improved. would also consider headers and y pipe, but know there is likely no gains to be had mileage wise. Needed a truck to do some moving and always liked the utility of having a truck. Traded in a good economy car (2006 HHr, 22 mpg city, 31 hwy) on a bad whim. Figured that in the spring through fall i can use my motorcycle for work and errands, but that sub 10 mpg is hurting right now. Drive fairly sedate, about 5 miles from home to work and lots of Wally World and grocery shopping, as well as bill paying. Any real world gains available aftermarket that won't run over $1k? cruzerjd
Nope. Heavy + power + bad aerodynamics = poor fuel economy. Only thing you can change is driving style. But running a lot of really short trips will get very poor mileage no matter the vehicle. I have a beater car to take me to and from and keep the truck out of the salty winter roads. I also use the truck to tow heavy trailers in the summer. As they say "you gotta pay to play".

Old 01-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Well said. It seems like no matter what forum and no matter what engine combo, everyone is seeking more mileage. I can't say I blame them, I do the same. But I think the absolute best plan for mileage improvement is driving attitude. Here's an example: my truck is an everyday driver and I try to stretch every ounce I can out of it when using it as transportation. I fill it once a week and reset the mileage meter. Now, if I drive it the whole tankful, it will show right around 12 mpg average. My wife is a horribly harsh driver. The throttle is a light switch under her foot, either all the way on or all the way off. If she drives it just once to feed her horses (about 5 miles each way) or head to the store (same distance) for groceries, when I get it back the mileage meter dips into the 10's and will not come back. That's nearly a 20% drop in mileage, driving only 20 miles max out of 240 miles just from rough driving habits. Right now there's a thread on here where one of the members mentions driving his V10 super duty at speeds over 100 mph. That same member has repeatedly mentioned the poor mileage he gets in other threads. Does anyone else think those two things might be related?

Old 01-21-2012, 05:58 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
Right now there's a thread on here where one of the members mentions driving his V10 super duty at speeds over 100 mph. That same member has repeatedly mentioned the poor mileage he gets in other threads. Does anyone else think those two things might be related?
Ha. I was thinking the same thing. When guys add lifts and big tires that kills mileage to start because rarely anyone re gears, which might not help much anyway to do so. Then add a heavy right foot, I mean the V10 is fun to drive, and the mileage will absolutely suffer. 100mph in my truck.....not unless "war of the worlds" happens. That ticket just isn't worth it. Most people just don't have the patience to lighten up on the right foot or the fear "being in last" when the light turns green. You want good mileage get a beater car like I've said so you can enjoy the truck. I have one and I don't mind tipping the throttle a bit on the truck because it's not my main source of transportation. I understand trying to get better mileage and try to do so myself. However I understood that this truck was going to get bad mpg but great capability. I just find it a little silly when people purchase a massive truck like these and are surprised they need to visit the gas station 4x month at $80-90 per fill up. Didn't you research this before you made this purchase. Again you've gotta pay to play. Big trucks, nice boats, atv's, etc.... It all costs money and to play....well....you know the rest.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:37 PM
cruzerjd
New User
Now understand, when i say good mileage, i understand that a 3 ton brick with a 10 cylinder engine is not going to get the best mileage. That being said, i was wondering if a tune or any engine mods could net a gain of say 3-4 mpg over stock. I drive with a light foot, the old eggshell under the pedal theory. No jackrabbit starts, not interested in racing on the street. My idea is that Mikes 5 star 87 octane performance tune and possibly deletion of the restrictive y pipe might represent a bit of a more economical gain. Would be nice to pull 13 or 14 mpg highway and around 12 city. cruzerjd

Old 01-21-2012, 08:02 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by cruzerjd
Now understand, when i say good mileage, i understand that a 3 ton brick with a 10 cylinder engine is not going to get the best mileage. That being said, i was wondering if a tune or any engine mods could net a gain of say 3-4 mpg over stock. I drive with a light foot, the old eggshell under the pedal theory. No jackrabbit starts, not interested in racing on the street. My idea is that Mikes 5 star 87 octane performance tune and possibly deletion of the restrictive y pipe might represent a bit of a more economical gain. Would be nice to pull 13 or 14 mpg highway and around 12 city. cruzerjd
The stuff from 5Star gets a lot of praise so the stuff is good. Contact them and see what they say. Plus the tuner is only around $400 with 3 custom tunes. If anything the truck may run better. I think 13-14 highway isn't unreasonable without any mods. Also depends on cab, options, 2wd/4wd, etc... My dually isn't the most efficient set up. Air your tires up to near max (read your tire to make sure what that is) and get ready for a rough ride. Carry as little weight as you can. Don't fill the truck with 500lbs of stuff. Unfortunately these options are probably the best. I think diesels respond better mpg wise to tuners, but I don't own or run a tuner. My crew can dually is consistently 10 mpg. I don't do lengthy highway drives so I don't totally know what that would be.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Ehh...I don't think a V10 with 4.30 gears is gonna get much better than you're getting now, tuner or no tuner. Mike's website comes right out and says that you simply won't get better mileage, maybe .5 to 1.5 better mpg's at best if I remember right. I also don't know where you're from, but terrain and altitude play huge roles in mileage. Even mild hills cause mine to drop out of O/D and hurt mileage. If you live in a hilly area, that might be one reason, but those short hops are probably the culprit. I hate to say it, but an F150 would be much better suited to your kind of use.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Forgot about those gears. Just going to make it rev higher while crusing. The 05 F150 5.4 I had only gave me 14.5-15mpg. Smooth riding very comfortable truck. It just couldn't handle a load or trailer without squatting too much.

Quick Reply: v-10 best fuel mileage