6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2005 E-350 PARATRANSIT VAN No Hot Restart

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 PM
electrified66
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2005 E-350 PARATRANSIT VAN No Hot Restart

I have a 2005 E-350 6.0 Diesel PARATRANSIT VAN and started having the problem of intermittent chugging while driving and seems to have a loss of power. Once it is shutoff I have to wait awhile to get it to restart, but always restart eventually. The engine turns over when it won't restart like it should, engine not making any abnormal sounds. I could take it in for diagnostics but can't hardly afford to pay attention let along another bill, this is or main means of transportation for or 2 disabled family members, so any advice would be appreciated before cold weather sets in and we become stranded in the cold.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:31 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Just a total guess on my part here, but by your description I'm going to say you've got a leak in the high pressure oil system, and it's probably the Snap To Connect fitting on the back of the high pressure oil pump. It will eventually fail totally without warning, if that indeed is the problem. It's a fairly common problem on an 05. The part is relatively cheap ($40) but the labor to fix it is pretty expensive on an "E" series.

You can take it to an autoparts store and have it scanned for free to see if it has any codes.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
stc fitting or dummy plugs as stated both are common. nither one is an easy job on a van. geting the valve covers off is a chore.. IIRC tim may have so pics of that job
what area do you live in.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:32 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by cheezit
stc fitting or dummy plugs as stated both are common. nither one is an easy job on a van. geting the valve covers off is a chore.. IIRC tim may have so pics of that job
what area do you live in.
Virginia accordingn to his profile, and yes I still have those nightmares, uh...pic's. When it comes to "E" series you can call me MChan.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:35 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

tim post em up would ya.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:41 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by cheezit
tim post em up would ya.
no photobucket so no way to post pic's......sorry.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:18 PM
electrified66
Freshman User
To start, Thanks for all the quick responses and knowledge from what I can only say are subject matter experts. I have noticed several things that may give me the same impression that what you stated about the HPOP pressure may be my issue too. I see a couple tips on checking the ICP sensor and that by unplugging it to might allow you to restart it if that is the cause. Is this the case with the 05 models? I found on another post of "Won't start hot", but they were speaking of a 04 model I believe. Also if it is the stand pipe and the o-rings for the HPOP are there links or videos of all the part to be removed. I seen the one for the 6.o hot start and the one for easy way to get to oil pump without removing everything. In a sense, are the valve covers the only main internal access components that needs to be removed to replace these O-rings or does the turbo and heads have to come off too? I know this is a lot, but any insight is respectfully appreciated, so answer what you can and I'll keep trying. I am in Chesapeake VA and my number is (757) Three 5 Three - 744 Six. Thanks very much for your help in advance.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:09 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

you wont really find a step by step on an e-van. sorry. its not a job for the faint of heart either.
to remove valve cover the turbo stays in. to replace the stc fitting the turbo has to be out.
you need to figure out what icp pressure and voltage is to start with and make sure you are headed down the right path.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:10 PM
electrified66
Freshman User
Not sure what a photo bucket is or what photos you may have that you referred to but if you think I might be useful please send them to me via email if you can. Thanks again. I really appreciate your guys' knowledge and help.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:51 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

I just did a set of injectors in an e-van. I send time few pics of the inside working space.
the very best thing you can do is get all data online once you know what you need to fix. walking someone threw a step by step on a van is very hard to do. there are only a few of us on here that could offer much help on how to go about the tear down etc on a van.
as I suggested get it so it wont start and get the icp info. from there if icp is low you should try and perform an air pressure test on the system to see if you can isolate the leak.
from there you need to figure out what steps to take to fix it.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 PM
electrified66
Freshman User
Cool thanks for the info and it is all beginning to come together, just was unfamiliar with acronyms and just needed a quick down and dirty on where to start and a next step course of action. Thought the pics you had might have been some technical data or something like that. Your responses and insight is greatly appreciated, I'll post my findings as I get them. Thanks again

Old 10-23-2011, 01:42 PM
murraydav
Senior User
Old 10-24-2011, 08:31 PM
electrified66
Freshman User
Great links, very helpful and full of information that I am finding very useful. Did find some chaffing wires by the turbo and wires in that area appear to be very crisp, not like it's burnt, but like it has been over heated to many time. I noticed a Recall on the web about this and all I was told by Ford is that it's really a TBS and not a Recall, does anyone have any experience with recalls and if so give me a little insight as to getting the truth. My vehicle fits the issue and what I could see mine fits the one for the 2005 E-350 wiring and IPR issue and it definitely says Recall not TSB.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:29 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

iirc the onle 05 recalls were ebp , and may be icp. you would need to run the vin threw oasis.
you can try customer service and see if they can check your vin for you for recalls.
there # 1 800 392 3673 in the USA

Old 12-18-2011, 07:25 PM
electrified66
Freshman User
Well I believe the HPOP finally failed for good, it won't start now after it was running and then died. I tried the ICP sensor by disconnecting it, but it did not help. I am going to perform the high oil pressure test next. Does anyone have the best and complete part numbers for the HPOP O-ring's and gaskets for a 2005 6.0L Diesel . Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2005 E-350 PARATRANSIT VAN No Hot Restart