Computer Chips & Tuners  

I need Help.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:28 AM
goodmatt2002
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need Help.......

Not pointing the finger at any particular thing just yet, but need some advice!

The facts: bought the SCT tsx tuner and installed the canned 65 hp tow tune. It worked great and I was very happy with it. I then flashed back to stock to see if there was going to be any mpg advantage or temp differences.

I immediately experienced a failure of my pcm. Elite Diesel engineering replaced the pcm and had everything reset with all the latest ford programs. Elite in my opinion, went above and beyond in every aspect!

The tuner was then locked and upon returning home sent it back to SCT to marry it to my vin and unlock the tuner. I received the tsx back and went out and installed the street tune, along with the following options: egr on, jake brake on, firmer tranny shifts and the street tune. Upon completion of the installation I then started the truck and attempted to go for a test drive. The tranny immediately began a rapid shifting sequence (according to my edge insight guages) form 1,2,3,p,1,2,3,n,2,1,4,p,etc. I had not moved a mere ten feet or so and the tranny was shifting improperly. I stopped the truck and shut it off, restarted it and the same thing happened again.

I decided to nix the programmer and return it to stock according to the manual! Upon completion of the process, I turned off the key and waited a few minutes to TRY and start the ex..........theft light is now flashing and I get no starter,fuelpump, or injector buzz when turning on the key.

I checked all the under dash fuses, fuel pump tipover relay, tried the PATS relearn process on the sct website for diesel excursions, battery disconnected and let sit reconnected and still nothing.

I have a remote starter (cool start model) that was on the ex when I bought it and never had a problem with that! I pulled the fuses for the remotestart and still nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? I got some codes, two for the egr delete, and two pertaining to theft system. The blinking theft code was a 16.

I used the tuner EXACTLY as the manual states following every precaution every i dotted and every t crossed.Trust me I did not want to screw anything up.......................

Oh its a 2004 xlt 4x4 6.0 diesel.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would get everything reverted back to stock. Rather you go to Ford or a 3rd party company, but get everything cleared and returned to stock.

I'm almost willing to bet with what I know based on this post that it's the tuner. Either that tuner itself was corrupted or the tuning got corrupted during the bluetooth connection. I don't know if the type of connection (bluetooth) in of itself was a factor, but that type of connection for programming our trucks just never sat right with me. It can be a very stable connection, but for something like this, I always liked wired.

Either way, get it reverted back to stock and I would highly suggest not using that programmer again or make sure something goes through everything (not just unlocking it) or, preferably, send you a new one.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:49 PM
goodmatt2002
Senior User
Thanks for your response. I returned it back to stock, and watched the tuner while it downloaded both times. It completed in a normal manner one percent at a time. I was unable to see if it worked with the tranny problem because the truck won't start. If it is the tuner ...EVERYONE will know about it!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2012, 01:10 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by goodmatt2002
Thanks for your response. I returned it back to stock, and watched the tuner while it downloaded both times. It completed in a normal manner one percent at a time. I was unable to see if it worked with the tranny problem because the truck won't start. If it is the tuner ...EVERYONE will know about it!!!!!!!!!
No, I mean you override your programming with fresh programming, not going through your tuner to return to stock.

Not if it's a fluke issue with your tuner.

I think I gave an impression that it was a majority incident (especially with the bluetooth comment). It could be something wrong with an individual component or even the firmware on the device that is bad. It could be something that is wrong with your unit specifically, not with the overall makeup or design.

The only evidence is the timing of it all, but I just find it strange that it happened not once, but twice after you tried to return it to stock. It could even be corrupted firmware on the tuner. I just find it strange that it happens to happen revolving around tuning.

It might not have anything to do with it, but based on the posts so far, I would eliminate the tuner as a possibility before looking at other things just because that was the newest thing done to your truck before bad things started to happen.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:22 PM
goodmatt2002
Senior User
Gotcha! Having it towed to the ford garage as we speak. Hopefully They wont give it to me dry.........yeah right! I figure they will charge me for a new pcm,ecu,tcm,and ficm, look out credit card here I come again

Old 06-20-2012, 03:52 PM
goodmatt2002
Senior User
The PATS was reset and I was still having the tranny problem. I got in touch with SCT and they determined that the stock file was corrupt. We downloaded a new one and voila....shifting problem fixed!

Old 06-20-2012, 04:32 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
That's good that it was something along those lines, corrupted tune. It would have been better if nothing had ever happened, but that is second best.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:34 PM
goodmatt2002
Senior User
I agree!lol Now on to the next problem haha. it never ends dammit