Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever seen such a Frankenstein? Pics are up!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 AM
broncoderek
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dump the blocks and perches, buy some 6" front springs and drop that draglink a few inches with a quality bracket and welds and then you've got a truck!

Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bankrupter

DONT drive this truck !
+1

That is NOT a lift block. It is a spring perch. The spring perch can't lock into the dowel pin on top of the axle, so one wrong bump and the whole axle can slide right out from under the springs. Looks like this has already started to happen if you look at the angle of the U-bolts in pic #4.

Just get those things out of there so the springs are sitting directly on top of the axle. This will lower it a little, but at least it will be safe to drive.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 AM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ralph Nader would have had a field day with this one, not only is it NOT safe at any speed.. I'm not really sure how safe it is sitting still!!!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
Originally Posted by broncoderek
Thank you!

In pic #5, I can see right through the cutout of the additional perch. That half-round cutout is supposed to fit over and be welded to an axle tube. Instead I can look through it like the granite bridge down the street.
OHH i see what youre all talking about, no thats a lift block with protruding arch thing cut off. look at the cut off marks. any one of you with a lift block in the rear end from the factory, go look at the rear lift block, and picture it without the big chunk hanging off the side. thats what that is.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:59 PM
83capril
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I belive you will have to take a better pic to get your point across GNR22. On the other hand I do agree that you need to loose the lift blocks and go with lift springs. It will make the truck saffer.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:01 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Originally Posted by 83capril
I belive you will have to take a better pic to get your point across GNR22. On the other hand I do agree that you need to loose the lift blocks and go with lift springs. It will make the truck saffer.
Plain and simple, if you dont believe me, anybody that has a lift block in the rear end, go look. thats what it is. And thats not going anywhere. Its good for it, builds character.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:04 PM
ford1977owner
Posting Guru
so much hating going on here

Old 10-24-2011, 04:55 PM
broncoderek
Elder User
Not sure any of this expains why we can see the outermost u-bolt through it. There should be nothing hollow there.

Since when is pointing out how unsafe bad welds are and stacking front lift blocks, wedges etc. considered hating?

I suppose if I told you unprotected sex with an HIV infected prostitute was unsafe I'd be "hating" too?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:58 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
i have 4 lifted trucks and have never seen anything like that. like i said, if that truck was pulled over for an inspection in New Jersey, the truck would be impounded and the driver arrested.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 PM
broncoderek
Elder User
Just because every reputable 4x4 magazine has warned against everything that's been done to the front end of this "frankenstein" for the last 30 years doesn't mean they know what they're talking about right?

This kind of reasoning makes me glad to have such strict automoblie saftey laws up here in Ma.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Originally Posted by broncoderek
Just because every reputable 4x4 magazine has warned against everything that's been done to the front end of this "frankenstein" for the last 30 years doesn't mean they know what they're talking about right?

This kind of reasoning makes me glad to have such strict automoblie saftey laws up here in Ma.
Im going to go ahead and say no, they're not 100% right about what they are talking about. You can't believe everything you read. There's nothing wrong with the front end, good day.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get us a close up of that block. I have never seen one with that arch before. Im not here to beat you up but I do care about YOUR safety as well as the others on the road. Sorry your getting hammered by all the guys but they do have a point and its not just to flame you. Blocks on front axles (solid or not) are illegal in this state for a reason. Trucks spit them out like sunflower seeds. Only takes a pot hole turning a corner and that truck is crossing the yellow line for a head on .... Please snap a pic of that block showing its not a perch.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:27 PM
broncoderek
Elder User
Originally Posted by GNR22
Im going to go ahead and say no, they're not 100% right about what they are talking about. You can't believe everything you read. There's nothing wrong with the front end, good day.

You must be right, I appologize sir...

For years we've been telling you to stay away from front lift blocks. Not only are they a danger to you, but to everyone around you as well. What makes them so bad? It all boils down to simple physics. Whether driving off-road at high speeds or cruising down the freeway at a normal pace, your vehicle creates a certain amount of rolling momentum. Whenever the brakes are applied, roughly 70 percent of the vehicle's weight is transferred to the front axle. This pitching action causes the front axle to roll forward, thus applying extreme pressure on the front U-bolts and springs. When you add a block into the equation it elevates the leverage point on the front axle, causing the axle roll to become even more dramatic. Enough force or pressure can be applied to fire the front block out from between the axle and the spring. This will result in loss of steering and frontend control, which may have a tragic result for you and the vehicle.

Some argue that welding the front blocks to the axle can eliminate the block from shooting out, and in their mind it's a safe fix. True or not, when you raise the spring perches higher on the axle you place a greater amount of force on the spring. The springs are now working harder to control the vehicle's vertical and lateral movement and can cause the axle to travel unpredictably, cause spring deformation, and also raise the leverage point on the axle. Sure, you won't shoot the block out, but instead the entire axle will wrap violently under the vehicle. Simply put: Don't run front lift blocks.

Read more: 4x4 Front Lift Blocks - 4Wheel & Off-Road Magazine

Old 10-24-2011, 07:35 PM
broncoderek
Elder User
By the way, it's obvious that you're young and don't want to listen to a bunch of 30 -50 year-olds but your attitude is reprensible. All this despite littlerally decades of actual professionals with engineering degrees telling you "don't do this" yet you're smarter than all of them?

I think not. I'm not, and you're not. The only difference is that I know when to listen to the authorities, you do not.

Good luck to you and to everyone you pass on the street with that wreck.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:36 PM
CJM8515
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry man but whats gonna happen is your axles gonna shear right off sooner or later. I seen it happen more than once.

Quick Reply: Ever seen such a Frankenstein? Pics are up!