Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Truck cut off while driving....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Ematria
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck cut off while driving....

Good Morning,

I was driving my 2003 Ford Escape yesterday about 20mph and as I was going around a curve, my wheel began feeling like it wouldn't turn. I decelerated and my truck cut off. A couple of the on board lights came on(can't remember which ones) and I turned the ignition to off. I restarted and the truck came back on. I haven't had any problems today when I went out but this has concerned me. I've had this happen a couple of times before when I would go to a certain convenience store to get my gasoline. Once I started going elsewhere, I no longer had that problem, that's been almost a year. Any ideas on what this sounds like? I'm almost afraid to go anywhere in my truck now

Old 07-15-2012, 02:08 PM
EBTDM
Senior User
By your discriptions of the stall, it sounds like the fuel is cutting out. Get a code reader on it before it recycles and look for pending codes, then follow the diagnostic read out. No codes to find, then I would add some fuel injector cleaner for the next several tanks of gas. Simply put, I am shooting for dirty injectors.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Ematria
New User
Originally Posted by EBTDM
By your discriptions of the stall, it sounds like the fuel is cutting out. Get a code reader on it before it recycles and look for pending codes, then follow the diagnostic read out. No codes to find, then I would add some fuel injector cleaner for the next several tanks of gas. Simply put, I am shooting for dirty injectors.

Ok, thanks for your reply. Will they be able to read for any codes if I don't have any warning lights on at the time?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:21 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Most times when you have water or other contaminant in the fuel, you will get 'bucking' or hesitation and jerkiness when driving. The engine won't run on water, and if you don't have a lot, it will affect one cylinder, but the others may be getting fuel, so it doesn't stop the engine from running. Is there any maintenance items that are needed, such as a fuel filter, air filter, or spark plugs? One would do any such before trying to diagnose an intermittent such as you report.
You could take a fuel sample if you have a gauge, and check for water using the relief valve and hose. You could also check for corrosion on the battery terminals and the large bundle of wires lying just below the battery connected to the engine. You could also check all the fuses and relays in the box under the hood. Remove and replace them all to insure they have good connectivity.
tom

Old 07-16-2012, 08:01 AM
EBTDM
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ematria
Ok, thanks for your reply. Will they be able to read for any codes if I don't have any warning lights on at the time?
Even with no active codes (engine warning or maint. lights) there may still be "Pending" codes that can be read. Pending codes will disapear after several cycle periods of the triggered sensors.

If you have a few dirty injectors a slight stall while driving is not unusual.

Tomw's train of thought is a good one to follow also. Water in the fuel, dry gas additives are normally included with the injector cleaner additives. Fuel rail preasure tests will point out dirty fuel filters and bad fuel pumps.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Ematria
New User
Originally Posted by tomw
Most times when you have water or other contaminant in the fuel, you will get 'bucking' or hesitation and jerkiness when driving. The engine won't run on water, and if you don't have a lot, it will affect one cylinder, but the others may be getting fuel, so it doesn't stop the engine from running. Is there any maintenance items that are needed, such as a fuel filter, air filter, or spark plugs? One would do any such before trying to diagnose an intermittent such as you report.
You could take a fuel sample if you have a gauge, and check for water using the relief valve and hose. You could also check for corrosion on the battery terminals and the large bundle of wires lying just below the battery connected to the engine. You could also check all the fuses and relays in the box under the hood. Remove and replace them all to insure they have good connectivity.
tom
Thanks for your reply. I have had a couple of the coil packs and spark plugs replaced but not all. As far as the fuel filter or air filter, I'm not sure if they need maintenance or not. I will have all of the things you mentioned checked out.