6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Edge insight FICM voltage ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Ricson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edge insight FICM voltage ?

Would anyone know if the insight can monitor FICM voltage and where i could find it.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:11 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricson
Would anyone know if the insight can monitor FICM voltage and where i could find it.
The newer CS and CTS can monitor FICM voltage. It is one of the selectable PID's once the unit recognizes the Ford VIN. If you have the older monochrome Insight, it cannot.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Ricson
Senior User
Thanks bpounds, Yeah it's the older one. Any way to monitor it with a stand alone gauge.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:24 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Thanks bpounds, Yeah it's the older one. Any way to monitor it with a stand alone gauge.
I wouldn't try it with a solitary gauge, but you could try a ScangageII. Either replace the Insight, or try an OBD splitter cable and run both. I think that is possible, but not sure.

I'm not sure there is any reason to constantly monitor FICM volts. If you just check it occaisionally for anomolies, you should have it covered. Be sure to check it at all 3 stages. KOEO, cranking, and KOER.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Ricson
Senior User
I had my FICM go south last week on a trip with the RV. Sure would be nice to keep an eye on it.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:16 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Rick!

I initially used a ScanGauge II for my own rig that I picked on Amazon.com, but then ultimately migrated to an Edge Insight CTS. It's dashboard mounted, but more importantly can monitor up to eight things at once, FICM output voltage included. Of course, with the Edge you can also add in other pretty compelling features (such as exhaust gas temperature monitoring) that the ScanGauge simply can't do.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Old 10-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Ricson
Senior User
Hi Ed,

I'd love to upgrade from my original Insight to a CTS Not only to keep an eye on the FICM voltage but i believe i could watch the fuel pressure also. But that would be pricey.
I was thinking with my original Insight and a Glowshift 3 gauge pod with Egt, fuel pressure and battery voltage. (Not sure i will like these gauges on my pillar) This would cover about everything but FICM voltage.

Rick

Old 10-25-2011, 03:40 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Hi Ed,

I'd love to upgrade from my original Insight to a CTS Not only to keep an eye on the FICM voltage but i believe i could watch the fuel pressure also. But that would be pricey.
I was thinking with my original Insight and a Glowshift 3 gauge pod with Egt, fuel pressure and battery voltage. (Not sure i will like these gauges on my pillar) This would cover about everything but FICM voltage.

Rick
Your old Insight can already do battery voltage, and if you get the $90 probe it can do EGT as well.

That leaves fuel pressure, and an analog gauge is the only economical solution. I thought long and hard about putting a hole in my dash bezel, or some kind of pillar pod. I just hate hanging gauges or drilling holes where they don't belong. But it could have worked.

For FICM, your least expensive option is a Scangage, which I find as ugly as analog gauges. I couldn't bring myself to stick it up somewhere like an air freshener. But for $160 your could keep it in the glove box and just plug it in when you want to check the FICM voltage. And it will do other readings that you might want to check just occaisionally, but that the Insight cannot ever do. Like IPR % for example.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Ricson
Senior User
Thanks bpounds,

I wonder if Ed can add a pigtail to my FICM to add a volt gauge?

Old 10-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If not I know of someone that can

Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 PM
a2elvis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could run a wire with an eyelit to the pin on the FICM to a voltmeter to ground that would give you FICM main power

Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by a2elvis
You could run a wire with an eyelit to the pin on the FICM to a voltmeter to ground that would give you FICM main power
Just be sure that the wiring itself doesn't short out to the case ground with the hole that you'll have to put in the cover that hides the screws.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Ricson
Senior User
Is it possible to tap into FICM harness somewhere to pickup injector voltage without causing problems.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
You could pick up the voltage going to an INDIVIDUAL injector this way, but that wouldn't give you the overall story. I'd think you'd want all of them. The ScanGauge II is a good option to get you there that doesn't involve cutting into anything.

Ed
Ed@ficmrepair.com

Old 10-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Ricson
Senior User
Thanks Ed,
WOW 8 volt gauges, Silly me. I think I'll save my penny's over the winter and pick up a edge CTS

Quick Reply: Edge insight FICM voltage ?