Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

79 F-150 Stepside Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 03:44 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There were times that I thought this day would never come. It is legal, plates, inspection, insurance, legal.

You can catch a glimpse of the Ford emblem on the seat through the windshield.

Rode pretty well, tracked straight and true, makes you feel 20 years younger. Got it up to about 70 and developed a noticeable vibration that we will need to investigate. Carpet and some work on the steering column are left but nothing that would keep you from driving it around town. Need to get some miles on it right now so keep a look out this baby is on the road.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
finally installed the carpet

carpet in

Old 07-09-2014, 09:31 AM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
and since the dome light doesn't do that well for finding items behind the seat at night we installed a set of LED's on either side of the speaker box

during the day

and at night

Old 07-15-2014, 09:04 AM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
a new project for the old truck, the turn signal does not turn off when the wheels are straightened and there is so much slop in the gear shift lever (due to pin wear) that is knocks the cover off of the transmission indicator everytime you put into park, so pulled the steering wheel and associated pieces.

when I pulled the steering wheel there was a small white cover over the upper bearing, pic below. Appears there should be 2 studs (spring loaded) in this but you can see from the wear that one is missing and all the metal was behind the steering wheel. What is this piece and what does it do, is it required prior to reinstalling the steering wheel or was it something for cruise control, or is this what actually turned the blinkers off when back to center. (I do not have cruise)

Old 07-15-2014, 05:11 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those pins are the contact points for your horn (and CC if you had it).

Old 08-06-2014, 06:58 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
Actually as it turns out this little piece is what shuts off the turn signal when you straighten the truck up. Replaced and works fine. Was able to find a OEM steering wheel on EBAY for a decent price and replaced it along with a new collar for the shifter since the pin was wollared out. Will post pics of the completed steering column in the next few days. Had to watch a 74 bronco II get put back together to understand what the T-bolts were for which held things up a couple of days. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:00 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
the contact pins for the horn are fairly obvious when you disassemble as they are fairly large brass (copper?) pins that meet the underside of the steering wheel and ride in 2 separate groves as the wheel turns. DO not have pics but have seen in other posts.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:07 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
While replacing the turn signal switch also replaced the steering wheel with used OEM and replaced the pin in the transmission shift lever. Straightened the wheel while it was off, although it does not appear that way in the pic.

Old steering wheel, note number of cracks

Old 01-06-2015, 07:01 AM
monkey-1
Laughing Gas
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
Great looking truck! Any more updates?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:27 PM
ironman540
Mountain Pass
Not up for the winter but was surprised at how quickly the wood in the bed was deteriorating/discoloring even with 3 coats of marine grade poly.

Still have to get the gas gauge working and although it may sit for a couple weeks at a time still starts right up.

<br/>

Old 02-07-2017, 10:43 PM
Santiago Williams
New User
AWESOME THREAD

Originally Posted by ironman540
Not up for the winter but was surprised at how quickly the wood in the bed was deteriorating/discoloring even with 3 coats of marine grade poly.

Still have to get the gas gauge working and although it may sit for a couple weeks at a time still starts right up.

<br/>
Hello, very great thread and even better truck sir. I Hope You get this notification, I am actually starting to restore the exact same truck. It was supposed to be a Father/son build (truck has been in the family my whole life and used to be amazing then I'm not sure what exactly happened but it needs to be restored.)and we did work on it for awhile after we moved to Texas but so much happened and didn't have the time or money to work on it. My dad is now in jail, and he may be there for a few years so I am planning on restoring the truck as a surprise for him and pick him up when he gets out. I would love to give you details on what I want to do with the truck/ and what I've done with it I'll also send pictures. I would appreciate it if you would be able to guide me in the right direction and help me out with questions that I have. You can email me at santiwilliams1@gmail..com

Old 02-08-2017, 01:09 PM
CelticOne
Regular User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Santiago Williams
Hello, very great thread and even better truck sir. I Hope You get this notification, I am actually starting to restore the exact same truck. It was supposed to be a Father/son build (truck has been in the family my whole life and used to be amazing then I'm not sure what exactly happened but it needs to be restored.)and we did work on it for awhile after we moved to Texas but so much happened and didn't have the time or money to work on it. My dad is now in jail, and he may be there for a few years so I am planning on restoring the truck as a surprise for him and pick him up when he gets out. I would love to give you details on what I want to do with the truck/ and what I've done with it I'll also send pictures. I would appreciate it if you would be able to guide me in the right direction and help me out with questions that I have. You can email me at santiwilliams1@gmail..com
You came to the right place to get help in restoring your truck. Not just from the author of this thread, but many others as well. Welcome to FTE!

The best way to get help/advice is to start your own thread. Let us know your plans for the truck and it's current condition. And post lots of pictures. We like pictures.

I appreciate the love and loyalty you show towards your dad. We all make mistakes - I've sure made my share - and we all have the chance for redemption.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Santiago Williams
New User
Y

Originally Posted by CelticOne
You came to the right place to get help in restoring your truck. Not just from the author of this thread, but many others as well. Welcome to FTE!

The best way to get help/advice is to start your own thread. Let us know your plans for the truck and it's current condition. And post lots of pictures. We like pictures.

I appreciate the love and loyalty you show towards your dad. We all make mistakes - I've sure made my share - and we all have the chance for redemption.
Yea I meant to put "anyone else can message me for help as well" but I accidentally clicked send. Anywyas thank you. I'll go ahead and make a thread now because I am having some major trouble trying to get the Windows put the door.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Jonnyuma
Laughing Gas
Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts
I wish my boys had restored my truck while I was in jail...it was only for a few hours and they were 6 and 9, but still...

Old 02-10-2017, 02:30 PM
CelticOne
Regular User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonnyuma
I wish my boys had restored my truck while I was in jail...it was only for a few hours and they were 6 and 9, but still...

Quick Reply: 79 F-150 Stepside Restoration