General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.
View Poll Results: Which platform do you prefer?
Android
64.29%
iOS
21.43%
BB OS
7.14%
Windows Mobile
0%
Other
7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

What's your smartphone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:52 PM
wolf189
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ummm, call it being nit-picky but, can we change the Windows Mobile option in this poll to Windows Phone? Since WM is essentially dead and gone and was replaced by WP almost a year ago now it would make more sense to list the MS smartphone o/s that is actually available these days.

btw, once that is changed then you can put me down as a happy WP7 user (Dell Venue Pro).

Old 10-16-2011, 10:53 PM
slow3v
Freshman User
Atrix 4G on AT&T, rooted w/unlocked bootloader on CM7 beta1 (2.3.5 gingerbread) @ 1.1ghz

yeah im a phone junkie

Old 10-16-2011, 10:59 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Currently debating which phone to get as I have to upgrade in a few days and I can't seem to favor one over the other (iphone vs android). Leaving the blackberry behind and figure either one of these will be better but I'm down to splitting hairs and still haven't decided. The android phone seems a little bulkier and my tech doesn't think I'm smart enough to use it (he may be right). I like the size of the iphone and several of my coworkers have that phone but I'm not one to buy something just because it says Apple.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:24 AM
dohc_chump
This space for rent...
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I too am not in with the new tech stuff. I grew up with a realtor Mom who had a phone literally stapled to her ear and grew to resent them with something boarding on hate. To be honest, I don't like much "new" technology. What was wrong with having a land line, an answering machine, and a cell phone in case of an emergency?

Old 10-17-2011, 05:44 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Two soup cans a string.

I have a very simple cell phone that I'm able to use my bluetooth with while working. I need nothing else.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:54 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I resisted for quite a while, but in the trades I needed to be able to communicate revisions and fixture/appliance specs to other tradesmen and be able to look them up on demand.
I can get the architect or designer to email them to me or go online to the manufacturers website and get the answers I need, and am able to pass them on if needed.

Windows P will sync with Outlook and Google w/ Android to make your scheduling easier.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:32 AM
rfdepew
Junior User
Went with the Droid Bionic.
I travel for work and when in hotels or on break I use mine to connect to my WD Media hub at home so i watch what ever I have on it, Love the 4g Lte speed Also
WD TV Live Hub

I love the way it connect to my computer to view and access files
Even connect it to my lap top via Easy-Tether so I can access anything anywhere

I did have the orginal Droid A855. i use the BB Curve for work (Work issued) the BB is a chunk of crap, Keeps going out, work email running hrs later than sever

Iphone, never tried it no reason to even look at it for now

Old 10-17-2011, 08:29 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My first quasi-smartphone was a Nokia N80. It was buggy, but I liked it, particularly because it was my 5th or 6th Nokia, and the phone portion of them always worked very well--I just upgraded them every 2 years or so when the original battery was toast. Being a contractor, I'm hard on phones, but now I'm on my 2nd iPhone (iPhone 4, first was a 3G). I like them--they just work. The only time that they haven't worked is when I was messing around with jailbreaking them, but I always managed to get the jailbreak done and have an operable device.

I'm about 7 weeks away from being eligible for the "reduced price" upgrade, so I'm not sure whether I want to get the latest iPhone, or just wait for the next version (presumable iPhone 5). The iPhone 4 was a huge upgrade in speed over the 3G, and I've heard the 4S is another big jump in speed (and Siri is an interesting feature, too, though I'm not a huge fan of voice control--I only use it to call my boss while I'm plowing snow for him).

Jason

Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Moto Droid for my work phone. That thing is a tank.

My personal phone is an HTC Incredible. I replaced the external speaker on it last Friday. $8 and 20 minutes of my time. Other than that it has been a great phone.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:28 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
These smart phones are fantastic for those who need / want them but I'm afraid that a time will come when a basic phone will be a thing of the past and I'll get stuck with a $15 / $30 per month data charge that I don't need or want.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:39 AM
driximus
Posting Guru

iphone dork here. I have an i4 currently... Will be getting the new one soon to replace my i4. I dont think the other smart phones are tough enough for me. My I4 has been underwater and dropped about 100 times. the 101 first drop finally broke it, the only thing that broke was my ability to speak to others lol. Everything else works fine.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Retired an original RAZOR (Wife insisted I join 21st century, I said "but hon, it already IS!") for a 4G Impulse after the only Android exposure I'd had was a Velocity Cruz tablet... Of course the Impulse in its Balistic case/holster is almost as big as the Cruz...

Old 10-18-2011, 09:05 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
I have a BB Bold 9650. I am holding on to BB for 2 reasons: the physical keyboard, and the battery life. My little brother has had an iPhone since their introduction and I have used his and see nothing special in it, and Android is still a bit too unstable for my liking, and from my co workers that have them and carry a charger around and never walk past a receptacle without plugging in, I gather that the battery life is less then desirable.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Smartphone battery life depends greatly on the user. If you have a bunch of stuff running on the phone the battery will not last as long. If you have the Wifi on and the Bluetooth on the battery life can suck.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Smartphone battery life depends greatly on the user. If you have a bunch of stuff running on the phone the battery will not last as long. If you have the Wifi on and the Bluetooth on the battery life can suck.
That's right, if you turn all that off, my Android battery will last almost three days.
Barely make through the day if I turn the GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth on.
I'll get back home to plug it in and the charge level is less than 50%.
90% after 12 hours if all is turned off.

Quick Reply: What's your smartphone?