1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'54 Panel, Road to recovery

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 04:58 PM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'54 Panel, Road to recovery

I thought I should just start a rebuild thread and add to it as stuff gets done, instead of starting a new thread for each part. I'll just post links to the other threads to start and then post new things on this thread.

It started with just a steering column repair and then of course snowballed (I couldn't leave well enough alone). Now it's a new trans/engine, new wiring, rebuilding the steering, rebuild 9" center (2.47) to replace the 3.00 I have now, rebuild dash gauges, rebuild shifter, redo the stereo/speakers/interior lights in there now, new air deflectors, repair bumpers, replace and modify gravel pan to fit new trans cooler set up, repaint grill.........plus more as I find it .

So here we go.............

Steering Column Repair:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...mn-repair.html

Gravel Pan Repair:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ravel-pan.html

Headers:
Header clearance - THE H.A.M.B.

Engine and Trans:
motor is back home - THE H.A.M.B.

more to come.

***EDIT*** new header link to the build, the last one was just to a posted question

Old 10-23-2011, 11:16 PM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Finished painting the air deflectors today and the frame stubs on friday night. Put the gravel pan on saturday and primed the deflectors. Now next week/weekend is sanding the grill, painting the grill and turn signal bezels. I have to touch up the under side of the fender overhang above the grill, bad prep work (macco painted it I think the p/o said) and the light paint came off with the tape (you can see the black in the picture). Then back to the wiring and motor install finishing.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:28 PM
1oldtimer
Elder User
The shifter as it turns out is from a mustang II or a mid 70's granada. If I used a mustang shifter with the bent arm I couldn't get 2nd or low. I took off the woodgrain sticker, painted the insert black, found an NOS shifter handle on Ebay (black handle), polished the plastic and replaced the bushings. They also used the stock shifter rod, put in a few Z bends because it was too long, so I sectioned the rod to fit.
Here's before and after:

Old 11-07-2011, 10:52 AM
1oldtimer
Elder User
More set backs......my computer is feuding with the internet connection now. So weekends are the truck (when it's not raining) and week nights are trying to get back online. I have more pics and will post them............

Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Computer is limping along now..... here's the grill after paint, still have more painting to do. Need to wait for no rain and now I have an under ground pipe leak at the house .

Old 11-17-2011, 02:07 AM
1oldtimer
Elder User
painted the fenders above the grille, the tape pulled some more paint off the hood latch panel.......I hate crappy body shops that don't sand before they paint .

also had the lower hose made (I need to get a lathe and TIG......and learn how to TIG weld ), so now I have plenty of room for the belt.

I also cleaned up the cal custom air filter and started to paint my '54 tab. Next is a car rebuild, which I need to find a bushing kit for the shaft and install the fan clutch and blade when they come in. Then headers, make some down pipes and fire it up!!!!.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:59 PM
1oldtimer
Elder User
1 day without rain. I mocked up the grille it needs to go higher so the park light bezels can fit under.

Also installed the lower hose, no worries about the belt hitting the hose now. Installed the new clutch fan and blade.

getting closer to the road.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:13 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice paint work. Smart to paint it and keep it together.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 PM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Hard to paint when I get home from work, not enough daytime for the paint to even start to dry (painting outside). Making the park light housing/bezels fit better now, then have to paint those. Having to work on other things on the weekends, but I did get the license plate tab painted, sanded numbers and now need to sand the rest and clear coat.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:22 AM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Had another plumbing problem....which I hope is the last. I have the grille together and the lights in, still sorting out the turn signal bezels vs the grille adjustment but the bezels are painted. Still working on the carb rebuild and the interior wiring. I made a coil bracket, spark plug wire holders, carb return spring bracket and ran the spark plug wires. The headers are on, I ordered a tall K&N filter for CHEAP from amazon, the regular K&N filters ranged from $50 to $80 and I bought the 6" high one for a 14" air cleaner for $29!!!. Here's a picture to keep the thread going...........more to come.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
looks good. keep pluging along.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:14 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is a very cool project! Keep us posted!

Dan

Old 01-12-2012, 10:41 AM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for making a great thread - and even better truck. I was wondering what my floor shifter was from. Now I know.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I like prodject threads, it makes it so easy to keep up with and lend help by people that have done it b4. You have a great truck in the works, thank you for sharing.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:49 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Nice panel! You are doing some sweet work there.

But who de-fanged it?

Quick Reply: '54 Panel, Road to recovery