Sponsored by: DP Tuner

No passenger side front signal light...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
No passenger side front signal light...

I'm getting ready to do a side job of hauling a 23' Wellcraft Excel to Kingman, AZ. Per my usual modus operandi, I start getting ready by checking everything and yesterday found this problem. When I put the signal light on to the right (passenger side) the front signal doesn't work and the blinker clicking is very fast (double-time...as well as the rear signal light blinking very fast). Soooo, I immediately assume bad bulb and pick one up in town yesterday. Put the new bulb in and same thing...no front passenger side signal. I pulled the bulb and got the Fluke out and no voltage at all at the plug with signal on (parking light works fine). I then plugged the boat trailer into the truck and tried the lights and now when I put the right signal light on it blinks at the proper rate, front passenger side signal doesn't work, rear signal works properly, and boat signal works properly. Any ideas? Could it be the signal light stalk going bad?

Old 10-14-2011, 11:00 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With only the front passenger side not working, you should be good to go by sticking your arm out of the window and bend arm straight up at the elbow.

Other then that, I would check all the bulbs.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:02 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by miller_feed
With only the front passenger side not working, you should be good to go by sticking your arm out of the window and bend arm straight up at the elbow.

Other then that, I would check all the bulbs.
All the other bulbs are good and work fine...just that front bugger.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:13 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The reason the trailer lights work is that the truck's trailer plug has dedicated circuits.

Here are the 2 exterior light wiring diagrams I have.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Exterior Lights With Tow 1.pdf (41.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: pdf
Exterior Lights With Tow 2.pdf (36.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-14-2011, 11:18 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
The reason the trailer lights work is that the truck's trailer plug has dedicated circuits.

Here are the 2 exterior light wiring diagrams I have.
Where would you be looking Robin? I am at a loss as to explaining just the front signal on one-side not working. I wonder if a rat got the wire???

Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
I would start with the WHT/LT BLU wire at the right front park/turn lamp socket. It should have continuity to pin 2 on the muti-function switch. If the instrument panel indicator lamp works then the contacts in the multi-function switch are closing because pin 2 is directly wired to the indicator lamp.

Edit : You should do a quick check for GRD on the black wire. As you can see it goes to the side marker and then to Grd. You said the side marker works so the Grd is good. Just have to make sure the Grd is good at the Park/Turn socket.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:55 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Alright, I have been working on this since early this morning (read DAWN). Here is what I have discovered...When I put the right turn signal in the locked position (taking the stalk and lifting the stalk until it locks in the right hand turn position) the signal doesn't work BUT if I slowly lift the stalk to just before the locked position, the signal works fine. So, I can discount the wire being chewed by a rat, the socket assembly being damaged somehow, or grounds. So it looks like the stalk is worn out, correct? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and repaired the stalk? Oh and does anyone have a part number so I can go to Ford to get reamed?

Old 10-14-2011, 12:04 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Sorry. I have no experience changing out the multi-function switch.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Thanks Robin...Ed has them at $101. I am looking at pulling to DeOxit the contacts.

ON EDIT: FIXED !!! I took the plastic surround on the column off and dripped DeOxit into the very front of the multi-function switch (you can see the wires where they connect to the contacts). Operated the switch about a thousand times and presto, works perfectly. Then finished the job with a few drops of Faderlube.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:01 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great fix.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:08 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
this was a pretty cool thread

glad you got it working & I sure hope I'll remember this if it happens to me

Old 10-14-2011, 02:31 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nlemerise
ON EDIT: FIXED !!! I took the plastic surround on the column off and dripped DeOxit into the very front of the multi-function switch (you can see the wires where they connect to the contacts). Operated the switch about a thousand times and presto, works perfectly. Then finished the job with a few drops of Faderlube.
Great tip Neal. Nothin' better than an easy quick fix. And you saved a hundred bucks.

Reps to you.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Thanks Robin...Ed has them at $101. I am looking at pulling to DeOxit the contacts.

Awesome. I had almost the exact same issue with my multifunction switch around 2003 and I just replaced it and motored on. But......since I am soooo ****, I kept the old multi-function switch. I think I'll try your trick and see if it works. Then I'll have a nice spare just in case. Thanks!

Old 10-14-2011, 03:46 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Awesome. I had almost the exact same issue with my multifunction switch around 2003 and I just replaced it and motored on. But......since I am soooo ****, I kept the old multi-function switch. I think I'll try your trick and see if it works. Then I'll have a nice spare just in case. Thanks!
It's nice to know there's a spare in the 'Neighborhood'.