Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes better tires?

Old 10-14-2011, 04:19 AM
brcwelding
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who makes better tires?

I am buying new tires for my 94 f250 and was wondering what a good tire is. I was going to go with some bfgoodrich all terrains but i have never bought bfgoodrich. I know they are popular but are they any good?

Old 10-14-2011, 06:13 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
General grabber at2

Old 10-14-2011, 06:44 AM
turnkyle
Elder User
I have never had any issues with my bfg allterrains. I have owned 3 sets of them and have gotten great mileage out of all of them. I would say their only down side is that they are heavy compared to other tires but that has never been an issue for me.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
I had some and the wet traction was poopy IMO.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:06 AM
88dually
Elder User
all depends on what ur gonna use the truck for.
White, how are the at2's on a highway in rain ? i know the bfg all terrains are great at 75 going thru puddles

Old 10-14-2011, 07:36 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
They clear pretty well and have tons of sipes, so a little rock crawling is not out of the question either!

Old 10-14-2011, 11:20 AM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-14-2011, 12:09 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
I've run BFGs on everything from cars to dump trucks and I hate them. I have never had a good set. Yes, they are popular and you'll find I lot of people that will tell you that they're the best tire ever but you can also find a bunch of people that will tell you that Chevy trucks are great, Obama is a good president and France is a wonderful place to live. Everybody is entitled to their opinion no matter how wrong it is.

IMO for a good AT tire that will still spend most of its life on the road but still needs to perform when things get sloppy are the Firestone Destinations. I've ran these on a Ranger, a F350 and an Expedition and they were great. I've also heard good things about the Goodyear Duratracs and may try them out when it's time for new rubber. I have ProComp ATs on the 350 now and they have done fairly well. I have no complains as they have done everything I have ever asked of them but I'll probably find something more aggressive next time. That is if they ever wear out; they seem to last forever.

Either way, you can get a lot better tire without paying for the BFG name.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:21 PM
ChristopherN
Elder User
I've had Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's on my flareside, they've got great wet cornering and dry traction. Snow is decent too, but they probably would've been better if I had more weight in the back or 4 wheel drive which I have neither. The most off roading I do is driving on a gravel driveway so off road tires aren't needed for me. They are smooth on the road and absorb bumps really well. They're also really good on the highway, no noise, just wind noise.

My dad's been running General Grabber AT2's on the suburban, cherokee, and jimmy with awesome results.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
BFG AT's suck hard IMO. Had them on two trucks (came on them ) I am partial to a set of mud terrains though. Its a good all around tire.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
I have always really liked the Dueler tire, but I'm not using them right now,

Old 10-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Rinkled Ranger
New User
I ran General Grabber at2's on my plow truck. Great traction towing in the snow and excellent traction in the rain. They are quiet too. As soon as I run the treads off of my avons, I am going to get a set for my 96

Old 10-14-2011, 07:19 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
I had Dueler AT's on my truck when I bought it. Rode like a rail car and had poor traction in the snow.

Then I had Goodyear Wrangler HT's, rode nice, mediocore traction, lasted me 65,000 miles. Good highway tire, but not very durable offroad (duh, but still I think I had 2 patches on each tire by the time I got rid of them).

Now I have BFG AT KO's, best yet, but my last two sets weren't anything special. The wear is decent, I'm at 27,000 miles and have about 60% tread left. Traction is great, but it is the only tire I've ever hydroplaned with (70mph coming down I-70 from Eisenhauer Tunnel in heavy rain). Unfortuneately I locked the brakes at 55mph as a deer stepped in front of my truck and flat spotted 2 tires about 17,000 miles ago...shoulda just hit it at 55 instead of 45. They've been abused off road, some lugs are pretty tore up, but still quiet enough on the highway. I drive 62 miles highway roundtrip a day for work (about 60mph), then anywhere from 0-400miles on my weekends, usually with at least 20 miles a week on decently rugged roads. Don't haul much anymore, sometimes a snowmobile in the bed or tow a two place sled trailer.

Next tire will be a set of Goodyear Duratracs though, really impressed with the reviews I've read.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:23 PM
tbirdscott
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have a set of good year duratracs on my ford and love them I took them out in the mud today and they worked great, never had any trouble in the rain and wet and am waiting for the snow but I think they will do well.

I had a set of goodyear territories on another truck last winter, they are very similar and were good in the snow but could have benefited from studs being on a mini truck.

One tire I will never buy again are Yokohama, had bad issues with tread separation and broken cords.

Scott

Old 10-14-2011, 07:43 PM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
let's see, personally and professionally, i have used all the above, firestone is a nono. i wont go into great detail. bfg a/t k/o suck! i did a 360 spin in the rain with my 1996 equipped with them. suck in the snow as well . bridgestone duellers , i have ran those with great results ran them on my bronco and my 91 f150 . dunlop rovers are junk . however the rvxt's are a great wearing, great in the snow and wet. good traction and ride. NEVER EVER run a general/continental truck tire , they are all terrible. good year, dont run wrangler rts on anything! thankfully most of them are discontinued now. the wrangler a/t is a good tire but wear fast. the good year mtr are great tire. the goodyear slient armor is a great tire as well. tough as nails and have decent ride quailty for how aggresive of a tread they are.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who makes better tires?