Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes better tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:15 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
I had Dueler AT's on my truck when I bought it. Rode like a rail car and had poor traction in the snow
Would those be;

Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693 2's
Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-S's
Bridgestone Dueler A/T D695's
or Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2's?

Originally Posted by jk89cat
let's see, personally and professionally, i have used all the above, firestone is a nono. i wont go into great detail.
bfg a/t k/o suck! suck in the snow as well .
I'd like to know what tire you've seen do better in snow than the BFG T/A KO. I've lived in MT, WY and now SD and that tire is well known to be the best deep snow truck tire sold. Not trying to be an ***, I would really like to know if you've seen something do better.

I have run a few sets of BFG T/A KO's with only one complaint and that's mud traction, there is none. But that's not what the tire is made for, it has no tread designed to sling mud out of its own way so it doesn't do well.

The last set of store bought tires I had were Firestone Destination M/T's and they were incredible, I never spun a tire, never hydroplaned, they lasted forever let alone for a mud tire and they looked great. The only concern with those was that they were loud, sounded like an orbital sander was running right out your window all the time. But i've heard great things about the Destination AT's and given my experience with their MT's I wouldn't doubt it. If you guys crossed Firestone off your list over the whole Explorer thing years ago it may be time to reconsider.

I have run two sets of tires from treadwright.com (it's a local company now that i've moved to SoDak) and i'll buy all my truck tires from them from here on out, but i'm not going to throw that suggestion out because I don't want to get flamed over my retreads. Bottom line is I get a better quality tire from them for almost exactly half the price of regular tires, if that makes you nervous or uncomfortable then you can pay double for your own tires

Old 10-14-2011, 08:22 PM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok livin4jc3, if you were to read the rest of the post you would of seen what i have seen work better. i ama huge fan of the goodyear mtr's and wrangler slient armors. the dunlop rvxt is a great snow tire as well. no comment on the ford vs firestone thing, i have seen enough real world expirences that i would not sujest a firestone on any vehicle!
i should mention at this point, i do work in a ford dealer in parts. i have busted tires for years and was a tech before i was a parts guy. i used to rock crawl years back as well .

Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
I have no idea which Duelers I had, they were on the truck when I bought it 100,000 miles ago, and they were rock hard.

I'm pretty sure people out east hate BFG AT KOs in the snow because you don't have snow. You have nasty slush/salt/slurry that plugs the treads up like mud (these have to be spun HARD to clean out in mud, so yep, they aren't a mud tire). Out west we have deep, dry snow, and these tires dig hard.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:18 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jk89cat
ok livin4jc3, if you were to read the rest of the post you would of seen what i have seen work better.
I read the rest of the post, didn't see that you thought those were better in snow than the BFG's. I did see that you were a Ford tech so i'll ask you this, if Firestones suck that badly then why do they have such a stellar rating on Tirerack.com? 19+ Million miles reported and they're right at the top of the list.

I have no idea which Duelers I had, they were on the truck when I bought it 100,000 miles ago, and they were rock hard.

I'm pretty sure people out east hate BFG AT KOs in the snow because you don't have snow. You have nasty slush/salt/slurry that plugs the treads up like mud (these have to be spun HARD to clean out in mud, so yep, they aren't a mud tire). Out west we have deep, dry snow, and these tires dig hard.
Hmmn, I was just curious because I have some Revos sitting in the garage about to go on my wife's '04 Explorer. The Revos seem to be the most well known Duelers and from what I hear they're a great tire they just don't wear real long. These were free so we'll see..

I like your explanation of different snow types and i've seen that myself in Chicago, Wisconsin etc. Their use of salt has a lot to do with that. And yes, when I say deep snow i'm talking about feet of it on a mountain trail, not inches on a highway.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 PM
CJM8515
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive used them all, BFG AT has the single worst wet traction and plug up with mud, snow or whatever you want and dont clean out. Dueler revos are excellent but SPENDY, grabbers are good I never had an issue with them, the best tires hands down however are the firestone destination AT. Excellent traction period. If I dont run a destination or a dueler I run the commercial firestone transforce AT. I ran that partciular tire on 2 different 2wd e series vans (250 and 350) and in horrible snowy conditions, rain, anything they held up great and had great traction.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:55 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
Didn't really think of this before, but what size BFG AT's we talking here? I run 235/75/r15's so they're ~9.4" wide, and sink to the bottom of everything, then bite. I could see a wider version floating (on water = hydroplane) or in your sketchy snow slush also not digging down.

And yes, backcountry mtn roads these tires shine. I was drift busting last weekend! Well, sort of...more like plowing.

But, whatever.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:48 AM
Michael Littman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My driving is always on paved roads and almost never off roads or on dirt roads. The Firestone tires that came with my truck shredded their tread within a year of when I bougth the 1994 truck new. I replaced them with Michelins and have never looked back. I JUST took off a set of Michelin LT that made it to 100,000 miles that I put on in 2000 or so. I replaced them with Michelin LT2 tires this last week. Yes, they are not sexy looking but they last forever, ride smooth, quiet and gave me a sense of safety the Firestones will never give me again. As the old tires came off I noticed how many plugs were in the tread from screws, nails, etc that I picked up driving around post hurricane in 2006 and yet I was still able to get a good five years more out of them. Personally, I would rather spend the money now and get the more expensive tires that suit MY driving habits, on roads than have to replace tires over and over again. Indeed, I replaced the Bridgestone All Terrain tires on the 1999 F150 that my wife drives (this was a gift from her father) with Michelins and the difference on the road was remarkable. I personally cannot say enough about Michelins.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:59 AM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
if you guys are going to bring e-van's into the mix, bfg commerical ta is the best for traction, price point and overall longevity and work quite well on heavier f series as well

Old 10-15-2011, 10:04 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Who makes the best tires?

Michelin......Period.

The question is if you want to pay the price for them. They are overpriced IMO even though they are better tires.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:19 AM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kd0axs
Who makes the best tires?

Michelin......Period.

The question is if you want to pay the price for them. They are overpriced IMO even though they are better tires.
the only thing to watch out for on michelins. as they age, they tend to crack btween the tread and get very very hard. but yes most are great tires

Old 10-15-2011, 11:17 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
I guess the OP got a little more than he asked for.

A weird thing I've notice about this site is just about everyday someone has tire questions. Be it size, type, brand, whatever, there is always somebody asking about them. Most of the time they're only get two or three replies and the thread dies. But every so often, a couple of guys start going back a forth (I've been guilty of it myself) and the thread goes and goes. Neither changes the others mind and the OP is left digging through post trying to figure out what just happened.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Didn't really think of this before, but what size BFG AT's we talking here? I run 235/75/r15's so they're ~9.4" wide, and sink to the bottom of everything, then bite. I could see a wider version floating (on water = hydroplane) or in your sketchy snow slush also not digging down.

And yes, backcountry mtn roads these tires shine. I was drift busting last weekend! Well, sort of...more like plowing.

But, whatever.
As an BFG A/T hater myself I do have to bump this. Such a valid point!!

Originally Posted by jokerforever
Most of the time they're only get two or three replies and the thread dies. But every so often, a couple of guys start going back a forth and the thread goes and goes. Neither changes the others mind and the OP is left digging through post trying to figure out what just happened.
Ive been reading this thread daily good stuff here. I may be trying new tires over it.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:06 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive never been much of a BFG fan myself either, mainly because I think they are overpriced for what they are.

I did have one set of BFG ATs (32x11.50-15) when I had my 98 Explorer 5.0 AWD. Only reason I ended up with them was because I found them at a junkyard....$100 for all 4. They were great both on and off road in pretty much all conditions and they did seem to wear well. I did some pretty serious off roading with them and I was actually pretty impressed with them. Only thing is they were the old style ATs, not the KOs. I think they were a harder compound. What actually ended up killing them was a tread separation. Since the Explorer was AWD, I had to replace all 4 tires even though the other 3 were still in good shape.

I know a couple people that have had the KOs and haven't been very happy with them, mainly because they didn't last very long. One of them had a Dodge 2500 Diesel plow truck, so I'm sure that contributed to them wearing out. He replaced them with Duelers and was much happier with those.

I managed to dig up a pic from when I was having some fun in the Explorer on the BFGs

Old 10-15-2011, 02:57 PM
BearFootCustom
Elder User
General Grabber AT2s are awesome, very quiet on the highway and do very good in snow

Old 10-15-2011, 03:21 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
At work we have General Grabber at2's on one of the trucks and we love them. The truck is driven daily on pavement, dirt, occasional mud, gravel, you name it.. That same truck is also used to plow snow in the winter, and the tires perform great there too. I highly recommend them over the BFG's, similar performance but MUCH cheaper.

Quick Reply: Who makes better tires?