1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rusty's and Stu's Excellent Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:15 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Rusty's and Stu's Excellent Adventure

Sitting at the breakfast table last Saturday, the truck packed and ready to go out on the lot, the conversation went something like this:

Stu - I'm wondering if we wouldn't be better off taking the trailer. Those bed sides alone are gonna take up a lotta space.

Rusty - Oh, I don't know, do you really think we need it?

Rob - That 460 won't know or care that it's back there. You'll be sorry if you don't take it.

Dave - What'll it do to mileage on the BFRT?

Stu - Won't matter. Gets 9-10 mpg with or without the trailer, loaded or unloaded. Ok, it's decided. The trailer goes.

For months I'd been wanting to take a road trip up to the Sioux Falls area to visit Mark (Thundersnow70) to see his Marmon-Herrington trucks. I had some parts he needed (primarily front springs and engine mount diagonals that would have been a killer to ship), and he had rust free bed sides he'd offered to give Rusty for his '57 panel. Rusty's panel was his daily driver until he retired, so the plan is to now cut out the cancer and put it right. I also wanted to do a yard tour and see if I could find some new old stock 19.5 traction tires for the trucks.

The plan was to be at Mark's house on Tuesday to do a yard tour of his "secret yard". So we headed out Saturday morning after going back for the trailer. We meandered back roads spending Saturday, Sunday, and Monday sticking our noses in everywhere we could. At one yard I found some wheels at a bargain price so was happy. As we were leaving that yard Mark drove by in his 18 wheeler, recognized us, and called me. So we got to know each other on the shoulder a few miles up the road. Tuesday morning we were at Mark's house as the sun was coming up (boy did he appreciate that). After checking out his trucks we headed to the "secret yard". MY GOSH, the place is huge! You must sign a contract before entering stating that you will remove no parts, open no doors, legal language, legal language. You will notice that I include no name, address, or pictures of the place because it is Mark's "secret yard".

At the "secret yard", Rusty bought these rust free '57 body parts:

1. Chrome grille, core support, lower pan. Not perfect, but darn near.
2. Perfect hood.
3. Very straight right and left front fenders. Did I mention rust free?!!
4. Driver door. Rust free.

The trailer was now nearly full, and Rusty was $400+ lighter. A bargain. I tried to buy a p.o.s. panel truck body with rear doors but clearly didn't appreciate its value.

We then went to visit Mark's old hippie friend. Nice fellow, and with a lot of treasures. I left with a perfect '51 grille and latch panel. Mark started discussion on the '51 hood (with deluxe stainless) and rear bumper in the below picture. If Mark closes the deal at the price discussed it's a felony.

By now the sun was going down and we still had to load Rusty's bed sides and another set of '57-'60 doors Mark gave him. Once that was done, we went and got some supper and said our good byes. Mark's son Ryan went along to supper and was a sponge absorbing every piece of Ford truck trivia he heard. Nice youngster.

Wednesday morning early Rusty and I headed to Windy Hill Salvage in New London, MN. Another huge yard with plenty of old Fords. No major purchases, though. Good thing because there was no room. From there we headed home. Found a mom and pop tire store that looked promising, but no success. Drove straight through and got home this morning about 9:00 a.m. All the parts stayed put and traveled well. Sure was glad we'd taken the trailer.

So here's some pictures. The IHC S120 4x4 is for Havi. Plenty of monkey faces at all stops, so I'll throw one in just to be polite. At the "secret yard" there was a 48-50 with a for real manure spreader on the back. But because it was the "secret yard", no picture. The early pickups, Mark, are in the small private yard you pointed out to us. A good time was had by all, faces put to friendships, and new stories to tell. Stu

Old 10-13-2011, 10:32 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Quite the graveyard! I'm getting to like those jailbar models more and more, but I wouldn't turn down one of those '41's either.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:48 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
And I thought we had a lock on all of the good old iron out here in the west! Love those 41's.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Excellent Adventure, indeed!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:18 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Looks like it was a good thing you brought the trailer after all.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:57 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Trailer... never leave home without it. Now, if I could just get the GPS coordinates from the pictures, I'd be set!

Old 10-14-2011, 01:36 AM
F1Newb
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Trailer... never leave home without it. Now, if I could just get the GPS coordinates from the pictures, I'd be set!
My wifes Iphone does that. Once you take a picture you have the option to look on a GPS map as to where you took it...Crazy

Old 10-14-2011, 06:10 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Originally Posted by F1Newb
My wifes Iphone does that. Once you take a picture you have the option to look on a GPS map as to where you took it...Crazy
Guess I better swear my brother-in-law to secrecy, too. I texted him some pics of a couple of sad '61 Valients/Lancers. A big tree limb fell on his. They were unloved orphans from the git-go and finding body parts for his has been a task.

Good thing I didn't take any pics of the Airflow sitting a few cars down the row and text it to Ilya. It wouldn't be Mark's "secret yard" any longer!! Stu

Old 10-14-2011, 07:15 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ooochi Momma

Old 10-14-2011, 08:14 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Nice story. Thanks for sharing the road trip adventure. Sure hope all those units are on very dry ground.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:58 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds like a fun time, I love wondering old yards. not many around here though.

Stu, I could have used one of those front bumpers from a 41. I think Petey Shoes is/was looking for one too.

btw, I think Ilya could have fit a lot more stuff on your trailer! I think he's a Master mover/packer, consolidator, space maximizing truck finding parts organizing genius! lol

cheers

josh

Old 10-14-2011, 03:38 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Good thing I didn't take any pics of the Airflow sitting a few cars down the row and text it to Ilya. It wouldn't be Mark's "secret yard" any longer!! Stu
Did you happen to take any pictures of that Airflow? I like seeing pictures of them in their defunct state.

I have my hands full with the stuff I have now. Don't need to start collecting Airflows. Unlike our Ford trucks, everything for the Airflows is very expensive.

Originally Posted by jmadsen

btw, I think Ilya could have fit a lot more stuff on your trailer! I think he's a Master mover/packer, consolidator, space maximizing truck finding parts organizing genius! lol
Example 1:

Example 2:

There are two F1 front clips loaded in there. See second picture.

So, yes, Josh, had it been my trailer, it would have been loaded to the max. I probably would have called my buddy who's a semi-truck driver and has a 53' enclosed trailer.

Maybe I should start a "I'll pack your trailer full of parts" business. You can pay me to go with you and I'll pack it.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:20 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes ya wish you had one of those old car transpoters and a big Ford 5th wheeler to haul the frieght.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:49 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
If I'd have gotten the panel truck body I'd have loaded it full. Keeping the pristine pieces pristine was a priority. Plus I left room at the tail end of the trailer for the trip home.

Here's the Airflow. Desoto. Hope you can't somehow get the GPS coordinates from it. Stu

Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2011, 05:09 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
That Airflow needs to be saved!!!!

Quick Reply: Rusty's and Stu's Excellent Adventure